Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki Lamenting / Crying ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki Lamenting / Crying ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kayleigh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject:

my kak does this!! a crying noise! lowers his head and pops his tail up in the air! but like someone else said i can stroke him anywhere when he is doing this sound!! he also sometimes goes in cirles when doing it too!! and only stops when i leave the room or get up and walk off...cause then he will follow me!! (follows me everywhere)

i am assuming he is a he!! i cant get pics on this website cause it says there all too big to put on!! but he has a lighter beak that most of the kaks i have seen on here its more like a light brown shiny colour!! not sure if thats a tell tale sign the the birds sex

kayleigh :)
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject:

Hey Kayleigh,

Your bird is definitely a female and desperately in love with you.
kayleigh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject:

haha ohhh how flattering!!

"she" does like to find little hiding places! under the fridge! in drawers, clothes cupboards and gets really aggressive when trying to get her out! as though its her teritory! maybe anotehr thing females do!!

Thanks Peter!!!!
kayleigh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject:

...sorry another thing,

what will i do about this? will she become unhappy if shes not getting any "action"? maybe a fake kak to go in the cage?!?! i dont know! everyone i have told they ask.... so how do you stop her from doing it, d'oh!

or just leave her to it! she seems tired after she does the crying noise!
CiaranDunlevy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: I got her a man!!!!!!

Disaster she bet him up!!!

She is half the size of him and she chased him around the cage for a week.
In the end I rang the owner and said what was going on and he said to put him in a different cage and bring him back to the pet shop.

I went out that night for a few hours, came back and the Male which I got her was lying at the bottom of the cage dead!!
The shop owner said he had committed suicide!

I didn't know what happened, so he said try another bird because he was always a bit strange anyway so I got her this fantastic looking bird he was bigger and a mix of green and yellow, put them beside each other for a week in separate cages so they would get used to each other eventually introduced them and she went for him.

He stood up to her not like the other guy BRILLIANT I thought, but she went to attack him again he stood up even more to her, this time she walked off with her head down stopped thought about it and lunged on top of him knocking him to the bottom of the cage and pulled a load of his feathers out, he was all over the place shaking in the corner so I took him straight back think that's the end of that. She keeps laying eggs and its a pity cause she is a gorgeous bird and everyone at home wants one and they would love if she had eggs, any advice????
[/b]
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject:

CiaranDunlevy
you have introduced another bird into her terrority, with very limited space to boot.

What would you do with an uninvited intruder in you bedroom....
Persisit by what ever method till they leave?

Try put a new chook in a hen house..they are likely to kill it...

The only way, and mentioned many times in these forums, is to introduce both birds at the same time into a complely new enviroment ...and even then hope they are compatable.

There will be a bit of pecking order scabble, espec at roosting time..that normal, but any full on agression, never persist...its stress to you and the birds...no one is a happy chappy.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Hi Ciaran,

maybe you should try moving her out of her cage, and release back the birds after a couple of days/weeks at the same time, or the male first.
Some females can have quite an attitude :)

Maybe you have a spare cage, or have a friend to borrow it from

regards / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
CiaranDunlevy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Forgot to mention

I had her in her small cage for a week and him in the big cage with all the toys I moved the cages right beside each other after a few days and they were side by side talking to each other and after a week I put her in to the big cage that was when he stood up to her but before that they were kissing so I thought happy days!!!!
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject:

Wow,

looks like this girl has quite an attitude then. Maybe the last resource could be introducing a just-weaned chick. They seem to be usually more tolerant with youngsters. (there's a post by Steptoe from a couple of days ago explaining an experience with a territorial cock and 2 young chicks)

cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: