Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Need help on mutation and sexing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Need help on mutation and sexing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpalhares

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Need help on mutation and sexing

Hi

A frind of mine gave me my first Kakariki and i want to find an adequate breeding partnet for him/her..

But as a new specie owner, i can't tell if it's a male or a female, and the mutation.

Here are some pictures of my Kakariki, i know they aren't perfectly focused, but the "dam" bird woldn't stay still Laughing

Thanks in advanced
Bruno Palhares
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject:

Olá Bruno,

sadly your kakariki is an hybrid of red x yellow fronted.
Did you buy it from a shop/wholesaler or from another breeder.

If it's from a shop by all means return it and ask for a refund, and if it's a breeder, have a chat with him.
Imagine you buy a dog as a Husky and they sell you a mix of Husky and German sheperd!?

It's not easy to find good kakariki in Portugal but there are better than this one.

If you wish you can run a quick search on this board for "hybrid" and there is a sticky about hybrid identification.
To put it short, red fronts should have a red crown, no yellow on it, and clearly marked cheek patches behind the eyes.
Yellow fronts have a red band, a yellow crown and no cheek patches at all. Besides they are smaller, calmer, and spend less time on the cage floor.

About the gender, I'm not 100% sure, but I would say it's a male.

I'm from Vigo, Spain. I'm looking for kakariki myself. Maybe we can meet at the next show in Barcelos or Santarem and buy together :)
Feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime

Edit Admin:
email link removed... adding emails to posts spam bots automatically scan web sites to find them and send spam....
Hence why member details, emails etc are only availble when members are logged in, and why countries like Russia, Korea, China, Brasil. Turkey are blocked from even getting to this web site. We take protcting members details very seriously.

Regards / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
PaulPieter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject:

Hai New Zealand land of the most atractive bird the Kakariki

I am a new member from Holland ( The Nederlands )
My English writing is ferry rusty after 40 years ago i left school so i am sorry that som words are a bit ard when reading it

I am breeding over 35 years with Kakarikis and in the beginning ill had the yellowfronted en the redfronted kakariki .

In that time there were also Hybidres ( kruisingen in dutch )

Don't breed with this bird never ever ( in Dutch nooit ) Crying or Very sad

The bird is only for fun and thats it . Laughing

In Holland there were also Hybrides and to find birds that dont have hybrid blood isn't easy

The person that put 2 species together for breeding isn't clear in his had

and he isn't doing the birds a favor .

PaulPieter
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject:

"My English writing is ferry rusty after 40 years ago i left school so i am sorry that som words are a bit ard when reading it "

Well it is a damn sight better than my Dutch signlol

your post has a bit of an accent, but we know exactly what you are talking about....dont worry about it...
I left school about 40 yrs ago, I wonder if thats why my english is bad? d'oh!

We have members who are dislexic...who cares...

Story...I have an old friend who is dislexic...very bad..generally he trys advoid his perseved embarrassment....but hes quite relaxed here.
He was laying some cobble stones for us, and gave him my key to the house and when I came home was not around...but he left a note.. All I could make out was something about a pie Shocked ....had to wait for him to come back to find out what the message was.
"Gone up the road to get us a pie, key is under the spade."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject:

Well, first of all, thank you very much for your answers.

ok, so this little guy won't be breeding, now i gotta find a couple that isn't composed by hybrids.

PABLOC - when you come to Portugal, feel free to send me a PM, maybe we can meet.

Best regards
Bruno Palhares
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Bruno, I have sent you an e-mail. It will be my pleasure to meet with you. I'll be attending next show in Barcelos, and Santarem in nov-dec. If you plan on attending we arrange and have a chat on the spot. Maybe we are lucky to find good specimens to buy.

Quote:
Well it is a damn sight better than my Dutch signlol

signlol :fun: his English is almost better than your English!!!
(and I take note of the e-mail thing, honestly didn't realize. thx for removing it)

Quote:
I am breeding over 35 years with Kakarikis and in the beginning ill had the yellowfronted en the redfronted kakariki .

w3c PaulPieter!
35 years ago I didn't even exist. I'm gladly surprised that a seasoned breeder like you join us and it will be of great value for this small community. Indeed we will learn a lot from you. It's very exciting.

Just by chance, is there any website where we can enjoy pictures of your birds?

Kind regards to everyone, and have a nice weekend!

Pablo

PaulPieter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject:

Hello and thanks for the hartworming answers

Dislectic is 1 of mi problems so i a have a stone to trowe with for mi poor english

About this site a was tipt by Case Hulsebosch from Tauranga bay of Plenty <v> breeder off finches bat not for long a hope Told him about the machnificent Kakarikis and how tame they get easy to breed with and never problems .
So he is intererrestet Laughing
They look somtimes iff they had a trip tru a vacuumcleaner bat that is over after the breedingtime
They need always a bath .
A lot of greens
And iff you didn't now it : when you have a coppel where you want to breed with them please let them wait intel they are 1 year old .
A good coppel needs 2 breedingplaces ( blokken in dutch ) when you dont there a risk that the female starts with a next nest ? she wil skrape en rol the young wones to dead .

When the young birds are about 3 weeks old she lays new eggs in the seccond breedingplace and the male brings the youngs up

I don't have a website i am happy that a find mi way on internet
A have now 2 pear golden yellow redfronted with darker wings than normal when they are more white
1 male like the others and 1 male even so with a big pied spot on 1 wing

This year i didn't breed not even 1 young bird and in all the years i had kakarikis it happend one more time when a had 7 coppels off yellowfronted i must sea that the year for that i had over 60 young birds from 4 coppel

Hope i can help with problems bat i cane only tel howe i handel problems iff there are problems i cant tel you wat you must do

PaulPieter
bpalhares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject:

good night

Well here i am again :D

I have the possibility to buy a lutino couple and i would like your opinion before i buy them.

Thanks
Bruno Palhares
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Hi Bruno,

Ideally it would be great if you could provide pics with a bit better plane of the birds, if possible 1 head on and 1 sideways.
But most breeders won't bother, they take a pic from far away and that's all signlol

Well... with what I have here, I would say don't buy the female, but the male could be ok.
The male is not a great specimen (look at the crown top, very diffussed), but it's not bad for what is usually available.

I will show you 2 pics of one of my young birds. If you take a look at the general view of the bird, looks +/- ok, but when you look closer at the crown you can see it has still some yellow feathers.
The crown is not everything, but it's a good indication of the degree of pureness of the bird.

It's a little bit like eye-ringed lovebirds. The mask is not everything, but a better/worse mask means a lot about the bird being pure or hybrid. If at first sight it's a clear hybrid, better walk away and buy another bird.

Besides, in my humble opinion, in Portugal and Spain the quality of the crown is somehow a reflection of the general quality of the bird (feather, condition, etc...). A breeder that sells chicks with good crowns is possibly making some effort to have good breeding pairs. This means in turn you will have good quality breeders yourself.
If you buy weak birds, breeding problems are more likely to happen (fertility, chick mortality, etc..)

If you can get a close-up pic of the birds it would be great, otherwise we can always meet at Santarem and try to choose together. We will fight if we find a good bird, and the strongest keeps it hahaha

If you don't understand something, let me know and I explain in Portuguese via pm or e-mail.

Hope this helps!

regards / Pablo

IMG_1455 (2).JPG
 Description:
general view
 Filesize:  43.1 KB
 Viewed:  161 Time(s)

IMG_1455 (2).JPG

IMG_1455.JPG
 Description:
crown detail
 Filesize:  32.59 KB
 Viewed:  153 Time(s)

IMG_1455.JPG

Peterlimburg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject:

PaulPieter wrote:

I am a new member from Holland ( The Nederlands )
My English writing is ferry rusty after 40 years ago i left school so i am sorry that som words are a bit ard when reading it

PaulPieter

:fun: hai PaulPieter w3c , to this worldwide community.

Where do you come from, I live in South-Holland, Alphen a/d Rijn.

Steptoe, maybe a good time to learn the Dutch language Laughing with all the guys from Dutch and Belgium .

Or we can all say : Whistle Whistle My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative' Whistle Whistle

Even that is better than the translator , some times it makes a Babylon translation d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
Think Think Think What does he mean now Think Think Think ????

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject:

It's this time when I feel sorry I didn't learn any Dutch during my 6 months in Belgium.

Many useful articles, websites, etc.. in Dutch, and I can't understand Sad

I must find a Wallonian or Dutch girlfriend!

have a nice weekend!

regards / Pablo

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Steptoe, maybe a good time to learn the Dutch language

I have enough trouble getting my head around programing language...dunno Im sure I have some sort of mental block regardles of what sort of language wall Latin and French where taught at school..I was a total failure even back then.
I must admint thu european languages are far more logical in sentance construct than English...
eg "Where is the bathroom? "
English "1st on the left down the hall at the top of the stairs"
Euro " up the stairs , down the hall 1st on the left"

In NZ it is very noticeable the amount of people in Consevation, bird breeders that are Dutch/Sth African or their parents came here in the 50s and 60s...Do we call them hybrids ? Shocked
Funny but most of our close family friends are 1st gen NZers with Dutch/Belgian parents...and a couple of our neighbours.
I like the Dutch.Belgian...a mixture of the old british 'stiff upper lip' they just get on with the job, dont suffer fools easy, and under that grumpy hard nose facard there is a very dry, serious,wicked sence of humour that goes over most ppls heads...

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject:

:fun: :fun: :fun:

nice start of the weekend, this is promising

PaulPieter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject:

It's this time when I feel sorry I didn't learn any Dutch during my 6 months in Belgium. duno duno duno

I don't anderstand why you cant speak , write en dream in dutch after beeing so long in Belgium , what have bin doing thear and dont say ill had no time to relacs . wall

anathor point is the color of the birds , they are no lutino's there is are green spots all over the birds and the female hase a green spot besite here sheek Shame on you

A call those birds pied ( bont in dutch ) so Steptoe you learn dutch little bi little and if the Dutch , South Africans and Belgium write more in dutch with translations itts a dutch site in no time <v>

PaulPieter
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject:

Using the quick search box on the left translator part
http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=en%7Cnl&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kakariki.net%2Fmodules.php%3Fname%3DForums%26file%3Dviewtopic%26p%3D10085%2310085&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

This page or web site can be translated into 14 languages.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: