Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Lots of eggs, no babies.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Lots of eggs, no babies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Lots of eggs, no babies.

Hi all, this is my first post after lots of visits, so here goes...

I got my Kakarikis early this year. They came from a breeder who said they were 2 years old and had bred before. Ok, grain of salt with that, but got them all set up in a very large parrot cage and soon put in a nesting box.

About 3 months later, the hen laid 11 eggs. She sat on them for a long time and then started tossing out eggs and eating others. By the time 6 were left, I checked them to find them empty or cracked. She'd stopped sitting on the nest a couple of days before, although she was going into the nesting box at times.

I assumed the hen was maybe too young (or old) or that maybe the proximity to the back door (which never SEEMED to bother them) might be at fault.

So the cage was duly moved and human contact minimised considerably. Kakis seemed happier somehow and soon more eggs were laid. There are 10 eggs in there and the first was laid around 20 days ago. The last in the last couple of days. What worries me is that the hen has been out of the box for most of the day. It's a hot day here, so maybe it's hot enough in there. She's also been eating all day, so maybe preparing to feed chicks? I'm worried she's bored of sitting on another clutch (can't really blame her!) and this clutch is lost too.

Any thoughts?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like me the female has run out of eggs in the ovaries to be fertilised.
And If she throws big clutches this can happen earlier in a hens life
Males, in most animal species (birds are animals) keep producing sperm..
Females have a given number of eggs in the ovaries, when these are used up infertility happens...metopause

Dont bother asking me how many eggs a kakariki has... Shocked
maybe some of the serious breeders with long ternm records could go back and answer or estimate???

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I see. That would certainly explain it. I suppose I should candle the eggs to confirm it and then remove the nesting box. Is it safe to keep her and her mate together still? They seem genuinely fond of each other, but I don't want her to keep laying if it cuts her twilight years short!
Mirren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject:

You're good Steptoe. All 10 were clear. I'm absolutely gutted that I/we put Scarlett through all that egg-laying and Harvey through all those days and nights of watching over her for nothing. They could have just enjoyed being birds!

If I could find the breeder, I'd... well let's just say he'd have a hard time breeding after my boot was finished with him!

Anyway, the nestbox is out poor Scarlett is looking a bit confused. Poor thing. Sad
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
They seem genuinely fond of each other, but I don't want her to keep laying if it cuts her twilight years short!

Is that not a controdiction?
Would you consider separating your grand parents for the same reason?
If they have a good CONSISTANT diet, there is nps...
They maybe even strike it lucky....
And we are ASSUMING (as-u & me) they are 'past it'

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Hi!

I don't mean to stirr this up but, just had a thought here... you are blaming the poor female but... what if it's the cock?
It could be he's infertile, too young, etc...
Have they been moulting?

Besides, are the birds ringed? This way you can have a better idea about the age.

Are you sure it's male and female? (stupid question I know, but there are some big females that could be tricky to sex, especially if close to a small or hybrid cock). Feel free to post a pic or two of the birds.

And regarding "breeding pairs"...
Quote:
grain of salt with that

Please take a full bag of salt signlol
I bought once a "breeding pair" of indian ringnecks, the bred with the guy a couple of times. 1 year later "the female" spawned a nice ring around the neck.

Besides... I never buy adults except I know the seller/breeder for some time and I'm positive he's just reducing his stud or quitting a given species.
Very few people sells a pair or an adult if they breed flawlessly, unless other reasons like space, personal, etc...

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Mirren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Hi Pablo, by ringed do you mean do they have leg rings on? Or is there something else to learn about kakis?

If you mean leg ring, the male has one, not sure it has any details on it though.

You're right that it could be the male. It's only going to make adifference if he is too young because I won't split them just to find out. Not that I have other Kakis to put them with anyway! Lots of other parrots, but no Kakis.
Mirren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject:

By the way, yes they are male and female. He is markedly larger, wider break and all that.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Hi Mirren,

all right that's a good description of a proper pair Laughing

Yes, I was meaning leg bands. But it's true some birds are not banded, and some others have "standard" leg bands, in which just a serial number appears.

Well.. in any case if they are happy together and you don't have an urge to breed... may they live happily!

Small off-topic here but if you decide to buy kakariki in the future I suggest you contact Cattscapes or Wyndara. If I'm not wrong, they both are from Oz and experienced kakariki breeders, if they don't have anything available at a given moment they probably know of other breeders you can contact.

By the way, which other species do you keep?

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Mirren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject:

We have hand raised one each of -Quaker, Alexandrine, Eclectus and a Cockatiel.
And in aviaries we have budgies, cockatiels, quakers, conures (2 pairs x green cheeks) and eclectus. The budgies and cockatiels are too young to brred yet. The conures are JUST old enough (one pair is on eggs) and the quakers are JUST old enough and sitting on 1 egg (so far).

The eclectus came to us under similiar circumstances as the kakis, so grain if salt. The breeder claimed to be downsizing. They're my husband's babies more than mine. He claims not to care if they don't breed, but I think he'd be happy if they do.
Mirren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject:

And another by the way- I'll look out for them to contact rgarding getting kakis from them, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: