Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - My new friends!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

My new friends!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natanya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: My new friends!

Hi all!

Here comes some pics from Sweden. I have just got three new green friends and they have been staying with me for one week today. At this moment on of them is sitting on the top of my bookshelf and two is eating fruits and vegs in the cage. I have two males and one female. They are about 5 months old.

/Malin

01thefirstday1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.05 KB
 Viewed:  78 Time(s)

01thefirstday1.jpg

02thefirstday2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.27 KB
 Viewed:  79 Time(s)

02thefirstday2.jpg

03thefirstday3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.87 KB
 Viewed:  73 Time(s)

03thefirstday3.jpg

04thefirstday4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.71 KB
 Viewed:  111 Time(s)

04thefirstday4.jpg

bigbeak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: my nw frienda

nice cinomans you may need to get anther female though steptoe & pablo are good for advice on this hav fun with your little friends Applause

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I've thought about reducing or increasing... The smaller male tends to get left out... The three of them are siblings and I'm not sure bringing a new female to the group is the best idea... They might get into even bigger fights then? Any suggestions are w3c.

(I'm not at all interested in breeding kakarikis. Our apartment is way to small even if the cage I've built is, according to Swedish regulation, big enough for a few more individuals.)
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject:

Hi Malin!

w3c here! Congratz on your kakariki, hope all the owners were as enthusiast as you.
This makes already a few forum members from Sweden, I think at leat 3. Not bad!

Quote:
steptoe & pablo are good for advice

Steps, Peterlimburg, Peter & others are really good.
I'm just like a parrot, I repeat what they say signlol

In this case for instance not sure what would be best. Now I have a flock of about 15 young kakariki (less than 1 y.o. most of them) in a holding flight. They interact but at the same time they make sub-groups.
For instance, out of a clutch of 3 siblings, the female is mating with an older male, and the 2 brothers I think are somehow bonded, or at least they go together everywhere, especially when it's time to pick on me. I think they even regurgitate to each other but that I can't say for sure.

And on the other hand 5 females of the same clutch are usually together doing the same thing.
Not funny when 3 of them decide it's time to mess with me.

Sorry but I don't really have any good advice to give on this one, never had a trio and I'm still not familiar with their flock behavior.
Let's see if the other guys have a sound advice about this situation.

Cheers / Pablo

PS: I resized your pics and hosted them at the own kakariki.net website, so when imageshack, or whoever is hosting the pics decide it's time to delete old links, the pics are not lost from the thread.
Please host the pics at the forum. The drawback is that we need to keep them smaller (in resolution and size) so the load on the server is not too high, good news is that they won't get lost.
Steptoe is a mean guy, but he'll keep the server running for the foreseeable future signlol

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Natanya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject:

Hi there!

Nice of you to fix the pics. ;o)

Yeah, would be happy for more advice. Not sure how a new female would be w3cd...

At least they are not that mean to each other, even if the smaller male is left out and the bigger male and the female a definitely mating... As I said, I will not let them keep any eggs since they are siblings... And of course I have no nesting box, they seem to mate anyway. Guess this is normal. :)

I really love to just watch them, they are not afraid at all. Today I have sewed some fabrics to hang around the cage at night so they will keep quiet at dawn, and they were very curious when I was measuring and trying out the black fabric. Any "normal" bird would have flown into a corner and be shakin' scared. These three were all sitting on the net looking at me and biting the fabric whenever they could. Very cool.

They have no problem jumping to my head or my hands for dried rowanberries... (The red things my fiance is feeding them on one of the pics...) I'm really happy for my new friends. \o/
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject:

Hi!

yes they are quite fearless and intelligent.

I have real problems to go into the aviaries. They fly to the door because they want to come hang around my clothes and mess with me.
If I'm around cleaning, etc.... or if they hear the metalic sound of the food dishes they get really excited and start to jump around the feeders. They know I'm about to either throw some herbs/grass or a bowl of fruit and they love it.
They become quite fond of their keeper. With my grandpa they get really excited even though he never plays with them.

All in all... I always say it. They remind me of a lorikeet, but less expensive, not noisy, and they don't poo in all directions, easier to feed, etc... (and they don't play so rough!)

Enjoy!

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: