Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hi, i'm new.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hi, i'm new.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Hi, i'm new.

FIRSTLY SORRY TO the person who's post i accidentally posted this in.

Hello!
My name is Logan, i'm 18 and from the UK.
I've never had a Kak before but i was wandering around a local petshop yesterday and saw this rather desheveled looking bird in a dark corner in the back of the shop looking rather sorry for himself.
I noticed he was staying in the back of his cage and away from anything that moved.
I know the man who owns the shop so i asked about the little guy.
He said he had been in a womans house who had kept him with 2 budgies that had taken to battering him and ripping out his feathers.
I immediately asked how much it was for him and the shop owner said £40 for both him and his cage, some sand and some food.
I have no idea if that's a good deal or not but i HATE seeing animals unhappy. (I already own 4 cats, a dog, a hamster, 2 zebra finches and 2 budgies myself)
I spoke to my mother about it and she said go for it.
So we took him and drove home with him and set him up in the office, cleaned him out and then left him till this morning.
I went in and gave him a looksy at (not touching him) He has hardly any feathers on his cheeks, none around his ears and hardly any on the crown of his head. I am trying to get pictures but the computer is being a bit uncooperative.
His back and tail feathers are for lack of a better word sticky outy and a bit ruffled.
He tends to stay next to a mirror that's in his cage and next to my zebras and my budgies as that's where i've placed him (closeish but not close enough to touch each other). I put a dish of water in the bottom of his cage incase he wanted a bath as i've noticed him preening himself a lot. and i gave him some apple earlier by getting it stuck in between bars and he ran (litereally) across his perch to the apple and chowed down like it was his last meal!
He seems to be alright in himself, just very shy.
I've noticed a few little chirrups from him over the past few hours but i'm leaving him alone for the most part as i don't want to stress him out. When i do go in however i talk in a soft calm voice and he seems to like that.
So ANYWAY! i'm new to owning a Kak and would LOVE any help or information anybody could give me.
I know parrots and parakeets like routines and hate them being upset.
I am home the majority of everyday and am rarely away for more than 4 hours due to my university work.
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject:

Dear Logan
for the first part it seems you could be lucky with this little bird and He for you having saved him. It could be that he was just malnourished with just a plain millet diet,chop up half pea sized lettuce cucumber tomato and carrot for now and see how he goes for the nxt few days might take a while to get used to new smell,taste and texture..and definately try a drop of invermectin on base feathers at back of neck..pls follow instructions.
in the uk Beaphar do an anti-parasite with this in called spot on.
Kakariki are not the type of parrot to stress so be quite normal around him..they love company..
There is a quick search button to the left which will give you all the answers u need to help keep ur little kike happy and fed
any questions pls ask there are fantastic peaple on here that are very insightful and above all friendly
best wishes
Looby
Logan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject:

Thanks looby!
I'll take all of that advice and put it into practice.
I opened his cage earlier to see if he'd come out.
He hopped from his top pirch to his middle one, the door then climbed up the side and sat on the top like he'd done it every day!
I was amazed so i let him stay out while i typed a few emails then ushered him back in by offering his pirch, he jumped on it and went back in easily. I was chuffed ^_^
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject:

w3c Logan

looks like you have a kike who is willing to socialize. Sadly too many times this kind of neglected bird dies soon after purchased.
The deal doesn't sound bad, and looks like he will make it.

Use the search function, wealths of info on this board as Looby says. And whenever you don't seem to find what you need, feel free to bump old threads or starting a new one.

Good luck and keep us informed about the progress of your kike

regards / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Stumbler
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject:

w3c Logan

Sounds like you have done this bird a good service and given him/her a break from sitting in a pet shop....good on ya.

Maybe try to treat the plumage condition with Ivermectin (search on left) hopefully you will be surprised by the results.

All the best. Look forward to a few pictures; are you sure of it's sex?.
knoxie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: im new too

mate im glad you got him/her i have two kaks and they are loving birds one of mine who iv have for a while is very tame now he just sits on my shoulder watching tv with me... dnt be too afraid of trying to get close to him/her, tempt him/her with food, fresh fruit is always a favourite of kaks, this site i have been using as a reference since i got my 1st now i have two there amazing.

as im a new member could someone please help me out here, it might be me being dumb but i really cant find how to upload an albulm, as i would like advice about what sex my two are,

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject:

Hi knoxie

w3c
nice to see members stepping in and registering

uploading pics is easy. Just below the reply box, you have a menu called "add an attachment"
just click the "browse" button, choose the file to upload and then click "add attachment"
it will take a few secs to upload the pic but it will be there.
Then feel free to add more attachments or simply click "POST REPLY" when you are done.

Alternatively you can post a link from a pic hosting website (imageshack, photobucket, etc...) but Admin prefers to use the built-in attachment option, since hosting websites will usually delete the pics after a couple of months, but the pics attached using the forum function will stay.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
knoxie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject:

hi pablo thanks, thats alot of help.
this website is great, so much information and everyone is happy to help...

im glad to become a member and do my part as well as i can

many thanks again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...' All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: