Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki as weed seed destroyers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki as weed seed destroyers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apocrypha
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Kakariki as weed seed destroyers

Hey everyone,

I do a lot of work involving offshore island research and conservation/restoration.

Mike Lee (ARC) has pointed out to me that kakariki are seed PREDATORS i.e. they destroy seeds which stops them germinating (c.f. pigeons, etc which eat them whole then crap them out to grow elsewhere).

Kakariki make a really good first introduction species to islands (e.g. Tiri back in 1970s), however a number of our islands in the Hauraki Gulf (well heck anywhere) have a HUGE number of invasive weeds which are the most common plants.

What we are thinking is, maybe if you release kakariki really early on these islands, they will go around and destroy a lot of the seeds of these plants i.e. taking part in weed control. Though they would never do it 100% they would be a useful assistant.

If this was the case, it would also bolster arguments to release kakariki on islands ASAP.
Apocrypha
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: the trial 'experiment'

What we are proposing to do at this stage is a trial where we take various seeds of these species and feed them to captive kakariki in aviaries

We will then find out

1) do they have a preference among them
2) how do they eat the plants (i.e. what parts)
3) do they leave broken seeds around the feeding station
4) what happens if we take the excrement and pot plant it - what seeds will grow?
Apocrypha
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: breeder involvement

So if you've ever wanted a chance to be involved in conservation in NZ, and use your kakariki, etc, then this is a FANTASTIC opportunity.

I can supply seeds to breeders, or better still you could go out and find your own to trial (e.g. if you don't live in Auckland, sending weeds in the post is a VERY bad idea).

At this stage it would be pretty informal, and not very scientific. You could just report back with what you found in any of the categories above. Then (as a scientist) I can just say 'we did some trials'. With more support later on, we could make it a lot more scientific and perhaps even get the results published somewhere for everyone to read about and apply!

Currently the local kakariki student researcher is also keen to get involved too (I'm just the ray guy).

Last edited by Apocrypha on Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Apocrypha
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Food preference study / feeding records

What would be good is if people in general kept 'feeding records' - what do your kakariki eat (everything) what don't they eat? (nothing). Start playing around. Go out and collect all sorts of native stuff and exotic stuff.

What PARTS of the plant do they eat?

To see how this sort of thing can become a scientific study check out this article here!

http://www.nzes.org.nz/nzje/free_issues/NZJEcol22_2_161.pdf
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Couple questions....
1/What are the problem "invasive weeds" that are of immediate concern?
(for those of us who are not fluent in latin, common names also?)
2/Some of our "invasive weeds" are known to be toxic..these will have to be identified before volunteer trials are undertaken.

As support we can create in the gallery section, pictures and descriptions of the toxic and non toxic offending plants. Im sure I have an old 'weed' book here in my gardening library that was released by the ARC some yrs ago that we may be able to take pics from.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject:

the suggestions at the moment are for Rhamnus (quite a likely one) and maybe moth plant seed pods (less likely). These are big plant problems in the Hauraki Gulf.

I will talk with the other ARC guys, perhaps they can add some suggestions here.

I have NO idea what the lat names are either. Except Rhamnus is the Genus. duno
Apocrypha
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: First batch

First batch arrived today. Fresh, juicy Rhamnus fruits/seeds which the kakariki hoed into. Looks like they destroy the seeds, etc (about the same as a tomato seed) but will keep watch and updating.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject:

http://www.arc.govt.nz/arc/environment/biosecurity/rhamnus-campaign.cfm
Bucktorn!!!
And I feel so dumb!! d'oh!
I spent so much time laying out the blocks on the site for 'user freindly'...e.g. placing the quicksearch block on the left, so anyone can simply copy paste a word/phrase replacing "google search" for quick info or just used as a spell check Wink
Then forgot about it wall

BuckThorn.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.85 KB
 Viewed:  280 Time(s)

BuckThorn.jpg

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Breeding on Motutapu??

Hey Steps what ever happened with this experiment. I remember reading this thread all those years ago with much interest.

I dont have kaks anymore, I recognised that as soon as I had successful breeding happening I also had a problem, What to do with them,

Great news about sitings of Kakariki on Motutapu
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Good to see you drop in

Apocrypha kinda disappeared

Yeah Lius is doing great work.....and chewing up a lot of budget.
might be worth a read read m8

Quote:
I dont have kaks anymore, I recognised that as soon as I had successful breeding happening I also had a problem, What to do with them,

http://www.wildlifemanagement.net.nz/index.php?topic=287.new;topicseen#new

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: