Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - In love with his own reflection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

In love with his own reflection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonielvis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: In love with his own reflection

Hey there, I ve a funny problem with Elvis my 5 months kak... since 3 days now I think he has choose his own reflection as couple cause he acts very violent when thinks I am interfering and attacks me really bad...I do not know what to do, just a week ago was a lovely bird who liked to hear my songs while standing on my finger...now acts like a psiko when Me and him are close to any kind of reflacting surface as mirrors, windor glasses, pictures hanged on the walls etc...
The breeder who sold me this kak is recomending me to act very hard with him, holding him in my hand subduing his beak for minutes or even hours she says!! in order to show him who is the boss and all that...but I don not feel like doing that but...in the other hand my house is full of reflacting surfaces and I am stoping to free Elvis form his cage... because we perfom Hichcock´s The bird scene every morning!!!
Pls Help me...he is coming...ahhjjjj
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The breeder who sold me this kak is recomending me to act very hard with him, holding him in my hand subduing his beak for minutes or even hours she says!! in order to show him who is the boss and all that...but I don not feel like doing that but

this is too sever....it appears that the breeder doesnt take much time out to see how his birds react and form pecking orders...
Generally a low tone growlling "that is not nice" showing your displeasure.
The next stage is a tap on the beak plus growl to make the piont .....
Once the bird associates both these actions together just a growl is all that is required.

As to the extreme behavour with the mirror, which is unusual to be so extreme....you have competion in the relationship....so it it a matter of making your relationship more benifical than the mirror.....ie you can give treats by temping him away from the mirror.....Im finding that a mint leaf..once they know what it is...is very good...and make him eat it from your fingers, dont left him run away with it...
Then once he just starts to move from the mirror to the mint, after a couple days remove his mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject:

Hey there... THanks very much. I am been doing like you said offering him mint leaves (he loves it) and nice vegs... at the beginning he came to my hand barking but he also tried a bit of the food, little by little for a couple of days he leaved violent behaviur and came to feed and aferwards rushing to his mirror. 1 hour ago I ve let him going out of the cage for the first time in 3 days and while he was flying around I ve removed his parrot mirror from his cage... Out of the cage he came a bit vilolent at first but then he acted excited but ok... when he was walking on my bed he sighetd a framed life of Buddha picture tht has glass on it where he can see himself, in that very moment he get obssed with it and became violent again while I was close. I ve turned off lights for a minute just to hide the picture, when I ve turned them on again Elvis seemed quite confused and became to search it everywhere..then I started again to offer nice vegs and he accepected them while biitng me sometimes also....now he is in his cage and things seem to be like before... he is calling me( he had stopped to call me when he had the mirror to see himself) when I get out of the room with his "Muy bien" not very well pronounced...
I now that if he sees any kind of mirror now we will start all over againg... so I am afraid of leting him flying out of my room whre mirrors and pictures are hanged on the walls...wht do yu think man?
(I am sorry my English is not very good)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:

For some reason this is very excessive behavour, which is not normal.
Every now and again (rare) one does get 'rogue' birds, in all species, these maybe like yours or even extemely agressive to people and other birds.
The cause cant be put down to bad care or anything like that, just extreme personality.
A rogue bird doesnt respond well or at all to +ve influences....influnces that make it in its interest to behave well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I hope this kak of mine is not a completly rogue bird... couldn´t it be just he is becoming mature, hormonal behaviour and all that and as i ve read in some parrots books and it finishes after a while... sometimes I think aslo abt the breeder who sold me the bird and the severe discipline she shows with her birds..maybe now Elvis and me are suffering its consequences.... who knows...anyway I will keep posting...THANKS!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
sometimes I think aslo abt the breeder who sold me the bird and the severe discipline she shows with her birds..maybe now Elvis and me are suffering its consequences....

That is a very good possiblty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: