Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Agressive Kakariki
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Agressive Kakariki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pennyw74
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Agressive Kakariki

My kakariki is just over four years old now.

We got him as a baby and hand raised him. He was lovely as a baby and would sit on my hand but as an adult, he is very agressive.

It's not a new thing, he's always been like this.

When I try to give him food, he launches at me and tries to take my fingers off, same with when I try and change his water.

This is not what I expected from a pet bird.

What can I do?
pennyw74
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Whoops, sorry I spelt aggressive wrong and couldn't edit it.

So...nobody has any ideas?

Are kakarikis normally aggressive?

Anything I can do to calm him down?

Anybody???
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject:

Kakariki are not an agressive bird, breeders occasionaly get a rogue bird, as happens with all species...but yours doest sound like that.

Changing the water or cleaning cages birds can be agressive to the invasion of their terrority....and that is a good thing to be taken advantage of.

With him being hand raised such agression with taking food is not normal, this sort of behavour is generally caused by the people around him.
It is not difficult to stop such behavour
Run a site search for taming and growl (quick search block on the left

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your reply but I've tried all that a long time ago and it didn't work.

I know you'll tell me I'm probably doing it wrong or something but I'm not the sort of person to give up. He just continued to be the way he is. Nothing stopped him.

I don't know what we could've done to make him this aggressive.

I'm not sure what you mean about invading his territory being a good thing to be taken advantage of.

Sometimes he looks at me with his big eyes and he's lovely, then his pupils go really small and he turns evil. I hate that about him.

Oh well, looks like he'll never change.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about invading his territory being a good thing to be taken advantage of.

When a bird become posesive of their cage, it makes it easy to get them back...also they tend not to go out of line of sight of it..security
And if escape outside, put the cage out, after they have had their adventure they will go back to it to roost.

Quote:
I know you'll tell me I'm probably doing it wrong or something but I'm not the sort of person to give up. He just continued to be the way he is. Nothing stopped him.

I will put it this way..when I was doing industrial pscology in the 70s before the PC BS came in a lecture said "their is no difference between staff, children and dogs (pets)" and he was right
Their is no such thing as a bad child, just bad parents....
either neglete or
"he will grow out of it" attitude, not realising it is the parents that set limits of behavour and thats how they grow out.
And same with "just expressing his feelingss" hell it is the parents that set acceptable stds how to do so.

It basically boils down to consistancy of making it in their interests to behave acceptably, and the -ve side to make it not in their interests when the behave unacceptable.

And it is a matter of them knowing who is actually running the household, who is top dog (alpha male), who is actually king of ones own castle.

Boundries are set, once those are in place THEN friendship and respect is devaloped, within the boundries.

The trouble these days is (even with children) 'parents' are want to be their friend rather than the parent or alpha male and afraid they will not be "freinds". So they end up with a pet or child with no respect, run the household.

The further things are let slip..it takes at lease 3 times as long to get back again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject:

when my kakariki becomes aggressive i place my whole hand up to his face and sternly say no .. as i found if i pointed my finger < the finger that scratches and tickles him < that was confusing to him . so the whole hand works for me most of the time as he tries to rule the roost. he is 1 year old , i breed him and reared him so he thinks he is a human. i love watching his eyes change with his different moods he is a spoilt caricature.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject:

Yep it sounds like you have the concept down to a T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: