Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - new keeper
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

new keeper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakikeeper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: new keeper

Hi all,I'm a bit new to Kakariki keeping,so I have a couple of quick questions please.
Firstly my Kak MOULTS big style going from fully feathered to oven ready in a few weeks,is this normal.
secondly,there seems to be two different types of Kakariki's,mine is smallish and two coloured-yellow and green-,yet the ones available in the local shops are much bigger and longer and only one colour-yellow.I realise these are probably stupid questions but if anyone could help me please. Thanks Philip.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Firstly my Kak MOULTS big style going from fully feathered to oven ready in a few weeks,is this normal.

No..check for mites and diet
Quote:

secondly,there seems to be two different types of Kakariki's,mine is smallish and two coloured-yellow and green-,yet the ones available in the local shops are much bigger and longer and only one colour-yellow.

post a couple pics ....us the attachment function when post to attach pic

Have a look thru the gallery, there are pics of different mutations, hybrids a no no) and the different spcies.

There is no such thing as a stupid question....
on the left is a "quickseach" block where you can find alsorts of info, and if cant find what you want please ask.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject:

ok,I think I might have a hybred bird-smaller,fatter,not as sleek looking.I have sprayed for mites and I will introduce veg and fruit into the cage (not sure about raw meat though). Thanks for the info.
Phil.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:

cookewd meat...chopped up chicken carcass so they can get at the marrow

Mites worming look up invermectin.....sprays and additives to water are next to useless

And look up vinegar as a preventive

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject:

sprays do not work, use ivermectin 0.01% or scatt

what is he deit?
kakikeeper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject:

Hi guys,thanks for the interest in my little kaki, I don't think it is mites as he's in with four cockatiels and they all seem ok,his diet to be honest is purely seed mix and sunflower seed based'althoughI have now put in a bowl of chopped fruit,veg and cooked meat.
Philip.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
he's in with four cockatiels

you will see them also start eating kitchen scrapes veggies etc also, and will see a big change in their eyes and feather condition

We where give a pair a couple months ago, 'seed birds' they where quiet little things, they look very different now chirp away much more and far more active during the day...
They do have a lot more truoble eating veggies and stuff cause unlike kakariki they dont hold their food in their foot.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject:

use the sunflower seeds are treats
i found my kaks will eat anything, theve converted onto harrison's pellets in a week, easy as pie
they eat veg like there is no tomorrow and love their sprouted beans
kakikeeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject:

I know its probably a very long shot,but could anyone recommend a seller/breeder down here in Devon/Cornwall in the UK,as the breeder I usually buy my Cockatiels and Kakarikis from has"retired" and I would rather buy direct than go through an expensive pet shop. Any help please??? duno
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: