Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - nesting box or not???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

nesting box or not???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebakerboy1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: nesting box or not???

Please help me,

I brought my Kak, Willow about 2 months ago and although she's bonded well to me, i decided to get another Kak to keep her company.
I brought my new kak, Stanley (girlfriends idea for name) and intoduced him into the cage. The cage is a large parrot cage measuring 1.5mdeep, 2m wide and 2m high.
They bonded quickly, havent squabbled that i've seen but were wary but fine now.
I feel i was given bad advise as the pet shop said that it would be no problem mixing male/female red/yellow as i dont want baby kaks as my girlfriends due mine real soon and know hybrids are bad news.
The problem is that i went to their cage and stanley was on top of willow.... you get the idea. emb
I have heard that females wont lay eggs without a suitable nesting box or nesting site.
If anyone can help me i'd really appreciate the help.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject:

When you say a yellow and a red..
lets not get confused..do they have a yellow crown and a red crown?
Are the crowns pure in colour ie the yellows has no red feathers or spot behind the eyes in it and same the red crown...

If they are not pure breed in the 1st place it is likely they will breed across the 'species' Experimentation we have done with pure red crowns and yellow crown species they dont have anything to do with each other, even after several seasons....
If they are not pure breed yes there can be interest...even without a nesting box....kakarki have been known to nest in the cnr of a cage, in the wild under a bit of tussock grass and even in old rabbit bourrows.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your reply,

Willow's green in body with a red crown were as stanley is yellow in body with a red crown (sorry, still new to terms and definitions of breeds etc).

As i said in my last message yhat i'm not interested in breeding as i dont have the time and because of hybrid/mutations although from what you said that they may well be. Will try soon to upload pics to identify.
What do you suggest would be the best course of action? They seem happy enough together but don't want Willow laying eggs or is there any way i could prevent the eggs being laid?

Thanks again.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Willow's green in body with a red crown were as stanley is yellow in body with a red crown

That makes them both red crown spcies....and will m8 at a drop of a hat.
Quote:

What do you suggest would be the best course of action? They seem happy enough together but don't want Willow laying eggs or is there any way i could prevent the eggs being laid

That is like a parent asking "how do I stop my children from ever having sex?"
The single most basic instinct of all animals , insects and plants is the procreation of the species.....which requires a male and female.

If they are both going to be together, they will have eggs.
You can keep removing eggs but that can be hard on the females body unless the diet has been and is consistant and correct.
Or give them a nesting box....they will look after and raise the young without any help from you...then when they are weaned...start to devalope the eye iris about 2 weeks after leaving the nest...sell the chicks off.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your reply,

Sorry for my constant questions, just want the best for my Kaks as i'm new to them but not birds in general, more used to african greys but love Kaks and can see me having them from now on.
Is it easy to breed them? From what i understand is that they do all the hard work ie feeding cleaning etc but is there anything i can or should do to help?
Obviously with my new arrivel due next month i don't have as much time as i would like but am keen on the idea of breeding but dont want to encourage hybrid/mutations, will this happen with the two that ive got?

Thanks again.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject:

Is it easy to breed them?
yep
From what i understand is that they do all the hard work ie feeding cleaning etc but is there anything i can or should do to help?
yep good consistant diet , fresh water, stand back and watch and enjoy...
Better still grab a chair , a book, and a coffee...a slice of apple or mint take them into the cage..put the mint leaves or apple on your knee and enjoy the book.
Taming is such hard work signlol

Quote:
Obviously with my new arrivel due next month i don't have as much time as i would like but am keen on the idea of breeding

Damn near everything you want to know is in these forums, from 2 nesting boxes todiet and taming wild avary breed birds
A "quich search "block to the left and search function above.

Quote:
but dont want to encourage hybrid/mutations, will this happen with the two that ive got?

That depends if they are hybrid already..not pure crowns is the easest way to tell and in the gallery there are descriptions and pic of hybrids
Sounds like your are both red crowns, one a wild the other a mutation, thats fine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks again Steptoe,

As always your advise has made things clearer for me and i've noticed already that all the forums have plenty of good advise so i'll give it a whirl and see what comes of it....

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: