Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Fallow kakarikis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Fallow kakarikis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Fallow kakarikis

Hi all,just wondering how many members in Australia are trying to breed Fallow Kaks and how much success they are having,Iwould like to know. Cheers Laurie.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Hi Laurie,

I'll bump it and let's see if any of the aussie members has any info on this mutation.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
foxman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Fallow kakarikis

Hi Pablo,I do not know what bump it means but if it works thank you, I am breeding Fallows, Light, and dark faze and just wondered if many others were interested in them. Thanks for the effort. Laurie.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject:

Hi Laurie,

bumping in internet jargon means writing something on a thread so it gets on top again.
You can do it subtly like asking something "any news on this topic guys?" or call it out like I did this time.
By doing this the topic is on top again and it also shows up on the "read last messages" function. This way people notices it and the thread gets participation (usually).

I'm sorry but I don't have much knowledge about fallows, nor I live in Aus. I only breed greens, pied and goldcheck myself.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
foxman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Fallow kakarikis

Thanks for the interest Pablo, doe,s not look like there is much going on with Fallows here or nobody wants to talk about them so Iwill just keep plodding along. Cheers Laurie.
Auswiggles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Fallow Kaks

Laurie

Birdkeeper mag had an small article in the :
Item 890 - Volume 22 Issue 12 December 2009 January 2010Information on

Kakarikis
Eclectus
Target Training for Pet Birds
Amazons
Water Solutions for Finches

I have a copy if you wish to have a read.

Birds I collected on the weekend are going fine. have two eggs currently from cinnamon pied pair.

Steve
Cattscapes
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Hi Laurie
There is a couple of guys breeding them. There is Steve in Melbourne and Bernie in Queensland but i believe some of your birds came from these guys. Steve had some great yellow fallows at the Orange bird sale on the weekend. If i didnt know better i would have said they were lutinos by how red there eyes were. I have both there numbers if you need through a PM. Cheers Kevin
foxman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Fallow kakarikis

Hi Kevin, I did not see the birds Steve took to Orange but I think they would have been Lutino, they would have had a clear red eye showing no iris and they would have been a clear yellow. I bought all Bernies birds 12 months ago but I believe he has got more now.Cheers Laurie.
foxman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Fallow kakarikis

Hi Steve, thanks for the info. Hope the eggs hatch OK. Cheers Laurie.
foxman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Fallow kakarikis

Kevin, I forgot to say I have Lutinos as well I think, I am not sure on any of them but they have a different eye to what I class Fallow, trying to single out the genes is slow work, but I will keep on trying. Thanks for the interest. Laurie.
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Hi all,
From my breeding results the Lutino is a combination of Fallow and Cinnamon. Both the Lutino and Fallow display the same eye.

Lutino

Fallow
foxman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Fallow kakarikis

Hi Peter, my Lutinos have a clear red eye, the Fallows eyes are red with a very destinct iris, they are 2 totally different eyes. I am very unsure of what is what. My birds throw only Lutino hens but both cocks and hens in Fallow, does that mean anything. Regards Laurie.
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fallow kakarikis

foxman wrote:
My birds throw only Lutino hens but both cocks and hens in Fallow, does that mean anything. Regards Laurie.

Yes. Since Cinnamon is a sex linked mutation, only males can pass this on in a hidden form. So, the father(s) are split to Cinnamon.
But it doesn't explain the clear red eye of the Lutino's. Maybe they are coincidentally BEC. Can you show a detailed pic of the eyes?
foxman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Fallow kakarikis

Hi again Peter, I am a learner on the computer, I cannot put pics on but I will try and get somebody else to do it for me. Thank you Laurie.
wyndara
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject:

There seems to be a lot of confusion with the yellow and fallow kakariki in australia and also in europe. We all must be carefull when using the word lutino to describe a yellow coloured kakariki with red eyes. As i understand lutino is a primary mutation.Peter has sugested that lutino has come from a combination of fallow and cinnamon birds if this is the case the resulting young should be called fallow cinnamons not lutino , The fallow cinnamons are in fact a secondary or combination mutation unlike the true lutino which is a primary mutation. Most lutino mutations are sex linked so what foxman said about only producing hens seems to fit well with a possable true lutino . To make all of this more confusing in australia we are getting red eyed yellow birds from the birds we call black eyed clears..... bad name they should be called reverse pieds. These red eyed birds are also producing true fallows. in my opinion the red eyed yellow birds with a iris ring are fallow reverse pieds. The yellows with red eyes and no iris ring are possably the true lutino , only more time and breeding results will determine this. Hope all of this ramble sparks more disussion!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: