Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - did l do the right thing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

did l do the right thing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: did l do the right thing

1 of my babies fell out of the nest yesterday couldn't climb the wire he tried many times was stressing out parents were not feeding him so after 6 hours on the floor l decided to put him back into the nest he is still alive this morning dad has given him a feed duno
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Yep, it is quite common for a or serval chicks to come out early
We leave them out till evening then put them back in...
Once they start coming out they tend to do so each day...or 1 will.

Good rule of thumb when they should come out, is they should be able to sort of glide to the floor, rather than flap....then they sort of get their wings so they sort of flap /climb up high
We hang a small perch up where they tend to cling on with their beak, to sit on.

Coming out early usually means the nesting box is not deep enough..and/or not big enough area in the bottom, gets crowed.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Steps l did wait until evening to put the chick back as it was hot and l do thing they need a bigger nesting box as they have a cockatial box but l will wait until they are out before swapping for bigger box.
The chick is happier today being fed by mum & dad and with his brother or sister again.
The thing that shocked me was how quite it was did not move or anything just sat there as let me pat it and pick it up as l was worried that mum & dad would not go near the chick coz l handle it and they are 1st time parents but alls good
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Run a search on nesting box
I have now gone from the boots mentioned in older posts to a 200x 200 x 500 to 750 heigh, and now have the same issue as you, but screw them to the wall lower down now so the chicks dont have so far to fall.

They also have a 1 1/2" diam perch on the front so its easier for them to hold on before jumping ...

I think the shoe box nesting box is better.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject:

l agree have just measure my boxes and they are small so going to try and make my own as they a bit dear from pet shops and look easy to make
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject:

We use el cheapo rough sawn boxing timber..untreated
200mm x 25mm
And screw together..not nail
This makes it easy later to unscrew a couple side panels and scrubb out after use.
To sterilise I use a larger LPG blow torch, inside and out, this also gives a nice natural burnt look to the boxes..Im not a fan of painting.

The perch under the enterance hole I chop a bit of old branch about 25 to 30 mm diameter and 75 to 100 mm long then screw on from the inside.

On the wall below the enterance hole I run a strip of mesh down stapled in place and a twig behind it to lift it off thewall in the center....this stops the parents from dropping down onto the chicks.

The hole I have 60mm....others reconmend a little smaller..
I have to go to that size because some of my lager males cant get into the smaller holes.
To cut
1/ A hole saw...cheap chinese ones last a couple holes and crap out..quality hole saws can be rather expensive.
2/ mark and use a hand jig saw.

On the boot nesting boxes the top of the foot is hinged for inspection flap
On the vertical the front panel is fixed for bottom 1/3 and top is hinged.
A note here do not hang the latter to high otherwise you cant see down into the nest without something to stand on.

To hold the flap up I just use a bit of scrap stich, screwed to th outside edge, and turns over the flap.

Careful when screwing the hinges on..dont leave them so they have gone all the way thu into the nesting box...easiest way, If just using 1 size screw for everyting, put hinge on , then pull 1 screw out, chop the end off it and replace.

When you cut panels to length, us a square to mark for stight clean cuts with the saw.
I make up the whole box before cutting the front panel flap...
Then mark the flap to cut, remove, cut, mount the bottom panel, then put the flap panel in screw in place..but new locations for the screws so it sits tight on the lower part...put the hinge on...remove the screws holding the flap....
Depending on the type of saw you use, (rip or finshing saw..different width cuts) you may find the top of the flap will not open or close.. catches at the top....I unscrew the hinge then bevel the inside edgw at the top with the saw, re screw the hinge back in.

Quote:
they a bit dear from pet shops and look easy to make

I can make 4 to 5 nesting boxes in an hr, including the cost of a cheap saw for the price of 1 from a pet shop.
Often the local timber yard has off cuts..."not worth charging those bits of scrap out" ..espec the end caps.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject:

Going to start the box 2day l was going to use nails but after what you said l will use the screws makes sense. Applause
1 more question about the chicks my other chick came out of the box yesterday he is fine can climb the wire and all that stuff comes and goes out the box couple times a day but my 1st that l had to put back in has come out again still cant climb the wire but glide down from box l think he may be deformed.
l have put a small perch lower on the ground for him to stand on but he doesnt stand on it he hurdles it and stands on a old seed bell coz its flat and he is puffed up all the time when out of the box and l have notice his feet are black and white where the other 1 has white feet they are different colours.
The 1 with white feet is light green and the 1 im worried about is a dark green and l know from my dark green male he has black feet but he is not the dad of this cluster.
the chicks are the same age so what could be happening to this little fella if he cant climb in a few weeks and can eat by himself but cant climb will he be ok.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
but my 1st that l had to put back in has come out again still cant climb the wire but glide down from box l think he may be deformed. l have put a small perch lower on the ground for him to stand on but he doesnt stand on it he hurdles it and stands on a old seed bell coz its flat and he is puffed up all the time when out of the box

Yes we had had the occassional chick like that, sure they have fallen heavy and dislocated a leg or wing...Or could be they are defective and maybe forced to leave the nest????
We check for dislocations if so they are put down.
If not we wait for the last chick to leave the nest, if it hasnt come right then put them down...
From your description thu it does sound like a deformed bird, and we would put it down...resiting the tempation if it is a good looking bird or has some special feature...the last thing we want is some sort of defective gene getting into our breeding stock.
If the parent consistantly throw defective birds they are also put down, and also look to the grand parents.

Got keep in mind what would happens in the wild, survival of the fittest...morepok (native owls,) hawks etc take care of these.
A chick when it comes out has some sort of instinct to climb high into a cnr, hidden and should be able to do so.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject:

so what are you saying should l put it down now or wait awhile to see what happens.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Im saying from your descriptio I would put it down...
I can not actually see how the bird moves reacts

If in doubt, and the bird is not suffering, wait till the last of the chicks have left the nest and if no improvement then consider/do so.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:

l will give him a week and see how he is going dad still feeding him he can walk and stuff just cant climb
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject:

Hi!

white toes/nails is usually a effect of the pied mutation, not a deformity.
Give the chick a chance like Steps says. Nevertheless... it's my belief that when parents notice a chick has some kid of flaw or weakness they won't keep on feeding them.

But I don't know if this is applicable to kakariki.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
it's my belief that when parents notice a chick has some kid of flaw or weakness they won't keep on feeding them.

Kakariki of all birds parrots are the most committed we have ever expericanced....
They will feed a chick regardless so long as it will take the food.

Single males will even feed other parant chicks when they come out of the nest.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject:

next time the chick comes out of the nest l will take a photo of it as it has started in the box for 2 days now the only 1 left in box
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject:

Hi!

that's what I feared, because if they are such good foster parents it's because they are not picky at all who are they feeding.

Especially the noise and the feeding response is very different across species, so definitely it's not really applicable for kikes.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: