Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - flying blind...need help :)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

flying blind...need help :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nellynew2kakarikis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: flying blind...need help :)

wall Hi everyone...I'm completely new to Kakas in fact until last week end I didn't even know that they existed so now I need help! I have a breeding pair of sun conure and a breeding pair of green cheek conures that have a seed supplement diet with a wide variety of fruit, veg and sprouted seed and grown seed for them to pick at! is this a suitable diet for my kakas or is there some thing else I should or should not be giving them.
next what is the breeding seasons for these birds, mine are only young Male approx 12 months female only 8 mths so I assume that it will be a few seasons before I can expect any thing from them but it would still be nice to know :) they are very affectionate to each other and love playing in there nesting box we have given them, is there a certain type of nesting box they like ( big, little, L shaped, hollow log???) sorry really am flying blind on these guys but at the same time I don't think I have ever bought an Avery breed bird that just wants to be on you all the time! I love them and love spending time in my Avery instead of just sitting out the front watching them and the kids love being in there too ( its nice not to be yelling at the kids for stressing them LOL)

and last for now...what are all these beautiful yellow ones I keep seeing...I have a green variety with a small red mask on the top of there head and love them too death, but would really like to know more about the different colours you can get
thanks in anticipation of your replies, any help will be accepted and learned from and appreciated :) J.
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject:

w3c Nellynew..!

It doesn't take long to get hooked to these curious little birds does it..!
in answer to your question if you look to left of screen there's a 'quicksearch' box, type in 'Feed' and you'll see a page look for STICKY and there you should find all the IMportant info for newbies..STEPS and other members give lots of detail to what they feed their KIKes which should help you suppliment yours..you'll also find info on the types of nesting boxes that work best along with pics to boot..
hope this helps
Looby x
Jimangie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject:

Hi I feed mine on a high quality parrot mix, I find it is better for them than cockatiel mix there's not enough in it, I have a parakeet box that has woden steps covered in wire netting for them to get out, I can post a pic of their nesting box if that would help? they have lots of fruit and veg etc too, by that a mean a variety, not lots at once, as with everything in moderation, I also give them calcium supplement in their water to help promote healthy bones and egg reproduction and this helps to avoid egg binding, You are not supposed to breed them at eight months, but if they are togehter better to give them what they need, I also make an egg food for them and mine are in excellent conditionand have now produced two lovely clutches and mum is only 18 months, but what a fantastic mum she is, please ask for more info if you like, I will help if I can, best wishes Angie x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Hi thanks for the info...I have given them a boot shaped nest box as we have them for our conures and have tried giving them a few chicken bones with no success with them...they love there fruit and sprouted seed and I have parrot mix with mung bean and some other add seeds with reduced sunflower that they get all the time...I only feed them fruit and veggie combo every second day with sprouted seeds on the alternate days is this enough or should I be giving them it every day??...and can you elaborate on what you mean by an egg mix...thanks J.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Toi the left is a "quick search" block and a search link above
Run a word search for diet or anything else u want to know
If you cant find the info you want post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: