Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - broken beak
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

broken beak
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: broken beak

Hi guys, need some urgent advice for friends bird.
He's under a yr old and this morning floor in a dor resulting in snapping his lower beak off..he's obviously in some pain due to his eyes are watery..

what are the chances of recovery without rebuild(dont imagine it wld work regardless of cost)
what would give pain relief?
what soft foods can be offered?
his tongue just rests within the lower cup but is expose..any advise wld be SOMETHING
thankyou in advance x
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject:

Blunt ok

I would have put the bird down if I really cared about its quality of life.

1/ It is in pain, a lot of pain
2/ Long term it will have trouble being able to eat a full balanced diet which is very likely to lead to other long term aliments.
2/ Long yerm the broken beak could be like a broken tooth and be rather senitive to pain/hurt, every time it eats.

One thing I can not stand is where people have an old cat, full of athritis and stuff, yet they say the 'love' their pet...
They cant put it out of its misery simly because of selfish reasons " They cant bear to part with it"
If one loves something, pet, wife, car ..thats a verb...they do what is best and care for.
It is VERY different to 'being in love' thats a noun and that can be selfish.

When I have to put an animal down that upsets me because of being on love with it
I Can but it down because I actually love that animal.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Crying or Very sad totally with you on that one. have had to part with many a dog over the years...
and I probably know your answer to this nxt question, but can you think of a gentler ay to snuff this lil feller?...I dont think i cls attempt the snapping of his neck 1ST TIME Shocked

The lady that owns him got him as company for having lost her husband recently...feel really crappy 'bout the whole senario...but I cant see one of my babies misererable and suffer..it's gonna take some persuasion I think..
much appreciate you getting back to me Steptoe x
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

but can you think of a gentler ay to snuff this lil feller

Quote:
The lady that owns him got him as company for having lost her husband recently...feel really crappy 'bout the whole senario

She seems to be the sort of person who one 'gives their heart a rub'

So give your heart a rub, ..give her the bad news and the good news
The bad is the bird is suffereing and always will, the good news is you have a new friend for her and will 'take care' (put down) her old freind.

Old saying "give with one hand, and it comes back with the other"

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject:

ok..you got me..

Thanks for your words of wisdom x
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject:

aarRGHHH!!! am Crying or Very sad and wall ....

you were soooooooooooo right about this lady being the sort" you give her heart alil rub" ..i think she's devoid of all feeling!

Amazingly (Buddy) is seemingly doing ok- Still appaulled by her choice of feed but then you can only push and educate a stubburn mule so far,
Popped in to check on him and well to be brutily honest I don't suspect he's long for this world anyway due to the smoke filled room I faught my way into,not even awindow open....really it was like an old smoking room you'd find in a train station 50 years ago!

:sad: so I will not be subjecting another..she can rub her own heart!!!!!!!!!!!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject:

Sometimes there is very little one can do...and that is very fustratiing to see a animal basically legally mistreated..

OH and the saying "give the heart a rub" is applied to the person doing the giving... rub the heart and it warms up signlol.

We resently had very good friends with a old cat in pain...being very good friends, they accept my blunt nature...and I was about 6 months ago, and when the subject came up I would just shake my head...they knew my thoughts..
Anyway they, put it down couple weeks ago...the subject has come up but there is a very strong feeling reading behind the lines, they do regret not doing so earlier.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject:

:oops: ...but thank you steps.

..I decided to rub my heart Wink and introduce two new black eyed clear latino's to my flock....

..was meaning to ask..do you get woken at he break of dawn with some of your aviaries so close to the house? ...mine ring out an alarming corus every morning..and i've only NINE Shocked
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject:

We live in the city, what is missing in city life is rual life. style.,,ie wake up to the birds chirping in the trees outside at dawn. So its more of wake up with the birds rather than the birds wake us up.

Having the avairies , they attact the wild bird life.. thrushes, blackbirds, tui the occassional wood pidegen and the other day had an endangered kaka parrot, a cousin the the kea. We have fantails flicking around inside the deck, and even come into the house.
The birds , including the thrushes and black birds are quite tame. They seem to reconise people and we can walk within a couple meters of them without interrupting digging for grubs.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject:

oh I just love attracting the wild life..same here, I didn't realise just how many varieties lived in the facinity! (I've been starting to spoil them as well and have been now nicknamed "The bird Lady" emb )
will try to post a pick or two when I find a compatable cam.
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject:

lets hope this works....I'm assuming they're both boys..and does anyone seem to notice how much louder and MORE vocal and rough these birds are...mine are quite gentle-natured in comparison..

086.JPG
 Description:
piccy's new additions
 Filesize:  54.76 KB
 Viewed:  107 Time(s)

086.JPG

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject:

One of the basic things about keeping birds is for a relaxing hobby.
For it to be relaxing then the flights/avairies must be stress free.
The only 'stress' is warnings of a unknown cat or hawk between avairies.
Other than a little pecking order when new birds are introduced in the evening, the flights should be 100% harmonious.
I do not tollerate any stress in flights, therefore I find having the birds quite relaxing.
This this 2 avairies and 13 flights...and another avairy of 2 flights totaling over 33 sqm ready to be assembled.
These are to experiment with multiple pairs without stress breeding together...If their is stress, I have 3 spare flights ready to move pairs to.
Everything is planned with 'what if this doesnt work' built in.

OH a note that influences a stress situation be it a caged bird or in a avairy
The birds souroundings should be a mid to dark green or brown.
If the backround is so then the birds dont feel as if they stand out from the background ....they behave more natural and relaxed.
Since we dont have yellows in NZ, I have no idea if they would relax on a bright or a background the same as wild colours.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject:

Just had a look at your pics in the gallery
That space could hold 15 maybe 20 kakariki...how big is it?
So many means keeping polution levels down....fresh bathing water every day, clean floors once a week.

The wire, paint it very dark brown or black...water based, and use a small sponge paint roller...even with the birds in there...we do.
Birds relax, and easy to see thru.
Its a good idea to put the mesh on the indide and framing on the outside.
Dont have to clean it, and looks better from the outside.
The bright ropes I would change for natural fiber, hemps or something like that...recon looks more natural, but thats my taste.
I would dump the dowel ladder, everything else is natural, the ladder stands out like a sore thumb...
And get one of those hampster /rat wheels and hang upside...a brown one not a bright pink one.
Hang a branch about 1/2m long , along the front about 1" off the wire, just above waste height
This is good for feeding them by hand and for them to land on when they see you coming, instead of hanging off the wire....AND is a good height when the grand children come over , pick the mint to feed to them.

Just a few ideas we have that may help your enjoyment.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject:

Hi Steps, I am so chuffed I managed to throw a piccy up!
The flight is only 10' with an ajoining inner roost 4'x6x6. It currently holds two yellow, two cinnamon's, five dark green, two chinese quail and two canaries..I think if i added they wld feel over crowded. As it is they can make quite mess given the variety of fruit , veg and seed-not to mention the daily branches of Hebe they strip for fun! Fresh water is supplied twice daily in water feeders and bathes. Floors and branches are washes weekly.(Its the only job thats NOT a chore) The wire, paint it"- I did consider this as it wld definately be easier to see what with the now smaller wire, but I feared the girls eating it.I did however Paint the floor with a concrete vinyl paint but in areas it lifted..what a nightmare to strip back!!!!!!!!!
The wire mesh is on the inside of the frame but i also lined the inside as some wire fell short.(I just use water and vinegar to clean)
I'm with you on the rope(hate the dangers) have a leather shortage!!-and yes however did you spot those tacky ladders, my Milo recently hurt his foot and so lays across them with his feet dangling through the holes-looks sooo funny! Laughing
Will try for more pics, but on whole the aviary is very calm( infact my hubby says they're docile and spoilt) -They make for better company anyway Wink
Thanks for comments <v>
Ps
I did look for a suitable wheel but I wondered if their tail feathers would get wrecked??
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I did look for a suitable wheel but I wondered if their tail feathers would get wrecked??
O post was made about toys yrs ago..I thought about legs getting caught up...never had a problem.
Tail feather getting messed up we find it is the wire that does that, hence another reason for a perch along the wire.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: