Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Noisy Kakariki
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Noisy Kakariki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Noisy Kakariki

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am really in need of some help. We have had 2 Kakarikis (boof and Marlie) for a little over 18 months and we just simply love them, They were hand reared and we got them very very young, in fact they could barley fly and had only just fully coloured up. Now they are our 2 kids, they live in the largest indoor cage we could get, approx 2mtrs wide, 2 mtrs tall and about 50cm across, but they are also allowed to roam free insid ethe unit untill we lock them up at night.

Living in a unit presents a bit of a challenge and the problem we have is that over the last 2 months the birds have been getting really really noisy. They have heaps of toys, a big bath that they practically live in, get fed fresh ccorn, apple and seed every day and the chirps they let out are certainly happy ones, but they are just getting louder and louder. We really don't want to loose our birds but at the moment moving is not an option. If anyone can help out with som esugestions as to how to keep our kids a little quieter it would be hugly appreciated

Regards

Jamie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject:

kakariki are not considered a noisy bird...they are quieter than cockeils
And have a deeper sound so it doesnt carry as much...
We live with about 20 kakariki 2 to 3 m of our lounge, and with the big french doors open they are still not an issue when watching TV or something.

If kakariki are too noisy then the only thing I coud suggest is turks or burkes...but they are boring, just sit there all day and do nothing interesting.

I still fail to see kakariki to noisey even for an apartment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Sorry my fault,

Not to noisy for us and we love them to bits, but our neighbours are the ones who are starting to complain. Just wondering if the increase in noise is a sign of something we are missing
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Living in a unit presents a bit of a challenge

Quote:
but our neighbours are the ones who are starting to complain.

This I did gess.
OK I will be bluntly honest here
The problem is the neighbours...
I wounder when he last time they visted a park or a foeesrt and actually enjoyed the sounds of nature.
We have 9 neighbours, a section 1500 m sq...several of our avairies are right outside neighbours bedrooms
The biggest hassle in the neighbourhood is a very large phenox palm several neighbours away, that 'houses a huge numbe of birds, sparrows blackbirds and thrushes....they start up at dawn, again in the evening and several times during the night if distrubed by a neigberhood cat.
Another neighbour a couple doors down has a few hens, when they lay eggs they do make a noise...then there are the NZ native tuis sqwarking in the 50ft banksia tree next to our house, and lets not forget about the few doves that cruise around the neighbourhood

This is middle clas suburbia....head out into the forest and there is even more

Have your neighbours lost so much 'in touch 'with the natural world they complain about a couple kakariki....who only make a bit of noise during the day
Im sorry it is not you who are desturbing them, it is them who are disturbed.

If you have a ring neck or galah, or sulpur crested , or African grey, or a macaw Yes I would have to say they have a very good case.....this is why we dont have them and I dont find the sound of a 'black backed gull' Iassume you have them on the coast there) screaming down a PA system. very pleasant every morning and evening.

You do no more than bring a little of the forest to the community having a kakariki.
Lets take it a couple steps further, what if other neighbour had a dove another a canny, another a trush...just to bring the sounds of nature back to a concret jungle...woundnt that be nice?
But it sounds like you 'apartment' neigbours are more in touch with the stupid ring of a cell phone than the sounds of nature.

Im sorry for going on, but I find the predicarment you are in defies logic, and yet is so so common.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject:

daft neibours :P
i don't handle loud noises well, and cockatiel drove me nuts
but i can deal with 17 budgies in my room LOL
it's the high pitch noises that get me, i can listen to budgies & kaks for hours and it just drowns out Speak to the hand

remember a busy beak is a happy one
try providing more foraging activity
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject:

signlol

I have a feeling around this place cockatiels are bashed at first chance signlol

but I do agree they are a bit annoying sometimes, especially if you have 10 courting males like I do hehehe
As soon as 1 starts singing a few others will follow and the concert starts. Good thing they take long naps during the day so they are quiet for long periods.

Kikes are sqweaking all the time but it's a really gentle sound. Same as budgies they have this 24hr chatter but it's not unpleasant. One of the best I came across regarding noise are bourkes and neophemas (red rumps are also quiet)

For me one of the worst are lovebirds, their chirp is really high pitched, but nothing like ringnecks or sun conures, that's really unpleasant.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I have a feeling around this place cockatiels are bashed at first chance

Yep signlol

The wive was given a pair a few weeks ago, some sort of mutation, a mix of 30 odd kakariki and a pair of cocktiels is rather nice mix of sounds....
Im not admitting to anything...and dont tell the wife I said that.... Wink

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject:

1 pair is ok, or 2 females... you barely hear them.

Males love to display and make the courtship. If no female cockatiels are available they will readily display to kikes.
It's very funny also when they push their head against a kike like saying "hey buddy, what about some preening?" and kikes look in surprise like wassup with this bird hehe
Some of them preen for a few secs then fly away or push the cockatiel head apart with the leg.

But some of the younger kikes eventually learned about the preening thing and somehow don't dislike it.

ArchiesMum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject:

Hi, our little Archie is making some lovely sounds, but the lady I purchased him from said that if we talk to him he will, in time, talk too.

Can you please confirm if this is correct? I don't know what to think duno , but would hate to find out he was sold under false pretences Liar

Not that we would get rid of him now, he's been with us only 4 days and we already love him to bits! angel
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject:

Some species of birds talk with no training at all, just pick up sounds around them, everything from the phone ring to talking.
Others dont pick up as easy and need a lot of persistance, and time like king parrots and kakariki.
yes kakariki can talk...go to you tube and search for talking kakariki.

Personally after owning a sulphur crested for many yrs, talking pets are a pain...good novelty for visitors...fun if have the time and nothing else to do with ones life....
My wife talks and even argues with our house parrot and some in the avaiaries, and they certainly appear to understand each other in spite of the language difference....
That is far more entertaining than if the bird could talk.....almost like a couple Italian taxi drivers arguing, waving there arms in the air.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject:

signlol

Steps I read recently somewhere about researches that the way we say things carries more meaning than the words we are speaking. It might be over the top, but nevertheless entonation, body language etc... has a crucial role in the way a message is perceived. And I'm 100% sure birds can feel this also and understand.

For instance my gf's pet budgie, the female, she now knows perfectly when she is being lectured for damaging furniture. She also understands sometimes she is grounded, and now when we yell her name for nibbling on stuff she makes a fool of herself, like if she was not doing anything.

What I wonder is... dogs for instance when they break something or they do something mischievous they usually hide and are specially silent, because they know they did wrong.
What does your home parrot Bob do in those cases?
I'm just curious.

Quote:
couple Italian taxi drivers arguing, waving there arms in the air.

:fun:

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steps I read recently somewhere about researches that the way we say things carries more meaning than the words we are speaking. It might be over the top, but nevertheless entonation, body language etc... has a crucial role in the way a message is perceived. And I'm 100% sure birds can feel this also and understand.

I fully agree..
With body language often say a dog or cat ... learn what their body language is...its often different
cats dogs, birds when taming down, never smile, show teeth.

And I believe hissing noises like words with S can put them on the defensive.....kakariki dont seem to worry but other species that come from countries with snakes, can put them on 'alert' a little.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: