Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Wanted - Kakarikis in Victoria (Aus)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Wanted - Kakarikis in Victoria (Aus)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Wanted - Kakarikis in Victoria (Aus)

hi guys,

On the weekend I lost my sweet kakariki to a mystery respiratory illness. Despite my best efforts and trips to the vet she did not make it. After 7 years of friendship I'm really missing my little kike Crying or Very sad

in the middle of cooking dinner this evening I instinctively headed over to the empty (disinfected) cage with some broccoli in my hand......

I am now looking for 2 replacement birds. In particular I am looking for a male and a female (non related). I am after the red fronted cinnamon mutation.

If anyone knows of any breeders in Victoria (or Australia who will freight) I would greatly appreciate their details!

Thanks in advance
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
.....to a mystery respiratory illness......the middle of cooking dinner this evening

Run a quick search (search block to the left) for teflon.
Use teflon pans?
You will also find alternatives to teflon non stick pans.

Contact Cattscapes, he will be able to sort you at with nice birds or put you in contact with a local breeder of quality birds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:

eik. Thanks for the reply steps. I do remember hearing this before but it slipped my mind.... now I am freaking out!!!!!!!!!!

I found this information on the scanpan website (the only teflon like pan I use) and I found this....

21.I raise exotic birds and have heard that fumes from Teflon will kill them. Is this true ?

We have heard of this before. In the scanpan manufacturing process, the non-stick compound is actually imbedded into the material that makes up the cooking surface, unlike cheaper cookware where the Teflon coats the Aluminum base. The only way that fumes will be released from this material will be if the non-stick compound actually breaks down from excessive heat. (e.g. the pan is left empty on full flame for extended periods). If used within its normal operational boundaries, no damage should result. Obviously we cannot warrant that no damage will arise but have no reported cases of this happening. In fact since 2007, Scanpan GreenTEK is made with no PFOA, the primary harmful components for exotic birds. Once should be aware that the fumes from burning margarine are more intense than that from cookware and may cause more damage to exotic birds.

Interesting.... but i still doubt any pan like that it 100% safe.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Run a seach of these forums...we lost a sulphur crested and a rosella.
You will find that those occassions /thought "hmm bones a bit achy, hope not getting a cold" nothing comes of it and you forget about it.
Also spray/aerosl cleaners/polishs/air fresheners are banned from our home....for our family health.
I used to be an industrial chemist in the indusrty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject:

no spray or aerosol cleaners are used in our house. Im pretty paranoid about things like that, plus its generally a lot cheaper to do things the non-toxic and natural way!

I do like the convenience of the non-stick pan though! (I only own one of them)... seems like it will be getting banished now anyway.

I'm at work atm but I'll do some further research when I get home. I wonder if there are any non-stick plans that are not teflon?? or are safe. I seem to doubt that......

also.... just to explain a little more about my kakariki's health and the symptoms before she passed

she was about 7 years old (assuming the breeder didnt lie when I got her). About 4 days before she passed away I noticed her voice had slightly changed when she was squeaking at me. I didn't think anything of it wall wall wall (I HOPE NO ONE MAKES THE SAME MISTAKE I DID) I wish I had of known......

over the next 2.8 days I didnt notice any changes. Bird was still eating, flying around coming out for play time and having a good ole time. Then on Friday evening I noticed she was acting a little dull and listless. This was at about 9pm at night (and no we didnt cook that day!!)

I woke up at 7:30am on saturday morning and could hear the strain of my little bird attempting to breath. I immediately got dressed and marched her down to the avian vet and she was given a vitamin injection and some antibiotics. She was also found to be quite underweight which horrified me to no end (body weight only 75grams). I then took her home, put her into the 'hospital' warmed to a constant 22degrees, fed her some polyvisol and biscuit and egg mix, and also some fresh fruit...... she died about 4 hours later....

(thank goodness for this forum... its a great outlet when you feel as bad as I currently do.... )
Tina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject:

sorry this has gone a bit off topic for marketplace stuff.........
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I wonder if there are any non-stick plans that are not teflon?? or are safe. I seem to doubt that......

Same thing our great grand parent used..cast iron.
instructions in old pots.

Quote:
Then on Friday evening I noticed she was acting a little dull and listless. This was at about 9pm at night (and no we didnt cook that day!!)

I woke up at 7:30am on saturday morning and could hear the strain of my little bird attempting to breath.

The didnt cook that day sorta thows a spanner in the works...Thu if underweight, still could be slower with lower dose???

Sounds more like worms....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject:

good old cast iron. I do have a few small cast pans that I use... I'll have to buy a larger one!

I have been reading a bit on worms since I saw your last post... The bird was sooooo healthy other than the fact it died. Last week she was fat, healthy and shiny with bright eyes and healthy droppings. Her poop stayed fine (no runnyness etc) until the end.

She was wormed frequently as well. although I had not changed the type of wormer in a long time, maybe she had developed some form of resistance?

thanks for your concern and help. It is appreciated more than you know.
re: my search for a bird - I have PM'd cattscapes, so hopefully they can point me in the right direction. I also received a PM from another member whom I'll also contact!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: