Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Proud new owner of two 11 week old kakarikis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Proud new owner of two 11 week old kakarikis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Proud new owner of two 11 week old kakarikis

Hi all, new to the site and just need a little advice on my new members of the family. I have never kept kakarikis before just budgies when i was a child so this is quite a big leap signlol. I only went into a pet shop to get some hay for my girls(guineapigs) and came out with a male kakariki leaving the last one in the shop and bummed a cockateal cage of my sister seeing how big the cage was i felt so sorry for both the male i bought and his friend i left in the shop so i drove back to the shop and bought the last one too, which i was very pleased as the male went crazy when he saw it which i having been reading on the site and know think it a female. I have had them for 5 days and the have had their first flight tonight and they loved it and since they had been in the shop for 5 wks was propably much needed.
Anyway i am feeding them on parrot fuit mix and they are loving apple, is there anything else that i should include to their diet and anything advice that would be helpful Wink
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject:

Hi Kirin w3c
It seems your already smitten with your two little kikes..maybe u cld send in a few s05 -then u cld get feedback on sexin'.
Feed: It might be better to feed them cockateil mix as more variety in smaller seeds as apposed to large sugary dried fruit and sunflower make the bulk in parrot mix here in UK.
if you chop a wide variety of vegetable and fruit to half a pea size (no avacado/cherries) and introduce in small amounts..
finely chop brocali STEMS -v.gd for them..theres a blog on this if you type in the quicksearch to your right..all if everything you'll need to know will be there for you..
pls dont hesitate to ask if u have any questions , some really lovely people on here always happy to help.

looby
x
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Not a fan of dryed fruit..weight to volume have far too much sugar
Just buy a couple extra apples, kiwi fruit pears etc for the kitchen fruit bowl.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks looby and steptoe for your info very helpful, and yes am very smitten. i will get my pics on soon Rolling Eyes They are yellow with a red mark on thier heads just above thier beaks! is there names for the different colours? And i have noticed people talking about worming, do they need to be wormed regular, Wink
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys!

Steps, looks like Looby has finally learned the sales pitch lmao

Veggies rock! and at least for me they are cheaper to feed than seed!
Roughly I pay 1€/kg of dry seed, which means hull, dust, etc..
Apples, carrots etc... are mostly around the same price, but you make the most of it.
On top of that I use many times leftovers, small pieces of this or that, etc... so in the end my mother is subsidizing my birdsīfood signlol (but donīt tell her!)

I ran out of eggfood and Iīm planning also to make a home-made recipe. Make a small eggs&flour pie with some crushed muesli and whole bread. I think it will be better than industrial made egg-food.

For the last 2-3 weeks I have been giving them breadcrumbs mixed in the fruit salad, and they go nuts. I use a chunk of bread 3-4 days old and grind it, birds love it mixed in the fruit.

From what I saw in the industrial eggfood, itīs mostly egg-biscuits, bread and bakery products ground in small pieces. But itīs pricey (3€/kg) and has too many preservants, sugars and stuff.
Thatīs why I decided to start making it at home.

Yeah! Iīm a cheap **** signlol

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject:

Hey Charlie!(Pablo..)
dont take the ride- i really luv u guys Wink

Hardly my fault u take a month of sundays to reply, must be something to do with the climate..

btw, like your idea bout making ya own egg mix...bout time men experimented in the kitchen Laughing
thanks for tip Mr cheapskate! x
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject:

:fun:

Quote:
Hardly my fault u take a month of sundays to reply

lmao

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
SDavies
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject:

they sound great, looking forward to photos :) we get harrinsons as base and then pile on the veg
get some herb plants and your half way threw :P they will scoff anything haha
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject:

My two male kaks eat anything also.

They usually get parrot mix seed, grapes, celery, strawberries, broccoli.

Every other day they get raspberries and chillies also (yep chillies, they love them. They only eat the seeds but seem to like them, if they get chillies its the first thing they eat before anything else).

They also want anything they see me eating, have you ever heard 2 kaks shouting "yum yum" staring at you when youre eating? its hard not to ignore them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: