Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Male will not mate
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Male will not mate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellett965

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Male will not mate

Hi have a bit of a problem with my male.
when my female has been presenting to him to mate he shows no interest he just stands there looking at her. the male has bred before and he is 3 years old and she is 1 year old.

What should i do?

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Well you are only 10 days since the shortest day and another 2 weeks to the coldest week of the yr...
I assume you have a couple nesting boxes in there?
And been feeding protien for the last few weeks...leftover chopped up meat and bones fron the kitchen table... and fruit...apple/kiwi fruit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject:

yes there are 2 nest boxes in there
and they get apple all the time but i have not fed them any kiwi fruit for a while.
And i have never fed them any meat. What type of meat should i be giving them?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
chopped up meat and bones fron the kitchen table

And that includes the leftover bones, chooped up from the KFC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject:

ok thanks they will be getting some very soon.
and will feeding him this encourage him to mate?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject:

We feed to all our parrots....get a good cliever to chop the bones so they can get to the marrow...The cartilage on the ends of bones to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the advice about feeding meat and bones etc
but you did not answer my initial question about why my male will not mate with my female? she always stands there with her tail up wanting to mate but he just stands there looking at her they have been together for 5 months he feeds her she goes in the box a lot so whats the problem.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Are u home around 11 am to about 12:30 pm?
That seems to be the general time our reda m8...Dont ask me why...maybe they are just bored after morning feed, bath , prune etc. Shocked

We have 4 yellow crown going to nest now, 2 are siiting, never seen any of them m8ing.

The ones we do see, are those right next to where we have morning afternoon tea, everyone continually walking past...they are very used to such activity, not shy or threatened.

Females will want to m8, the males dont always respond...he maybe responding when nothing else is around to disturb.

What sort of perches do they have? 2 to 3" in diameter...stable perches are required for sucessful m8ing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject:

I do not know how big the perches are but i had a pair in the same aviary and they mated on the perches with no problem the perches are very stable so there wont be any falling off while they are mating.

i have noticed that my female has been wanting to mate early in the morning around 7-8 and about midday. But i am not watching them all day so who knows. this has been going on for about 3 weeks. there are 2 young budgies in there but they mind there own business and the kakarikis don't pay attention to them. there is no fighting amongst them so i guess i will just have to wait.

thanks
Crossie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject:

This one's an old post but I am currently looking at the same situation. I have a hen that has chosen a male, she follows him everywhere and presents quite regularly. She will chase any competition away from the nest boxes and sticks very close to him. He on the other hand seems totally disinterested, he won't feed her and certainly isn't interested in mating at all.
They are in a colony aviary with 2 other hens and 2 cocks. There are 2 aviaries next to this one with a breeding pair in each one.
All systems go elsewhere but this bloke doesn't seem to want to get on board?
Mature bird of 12 months, hen is 6 months.
Diet is spot on with protein within so buggered if I know?...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: