Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Nesting and aggression...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Nesting and aggression...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celestite2004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Nesting and aggression...

Hi all - all our birds are now outside in the aviary! It has been a week and so far it seems all is well. As our budgies are coming into another season we have decided to put up a couple nest boxes and see how it all goes. We are also considering a nest box for the Kikes. This is where I need to ask for advice.... It seems that our yellow kike, Kaz could be a female, Kit and Kai are possibly males - althought we still can't really tell for sure. Kai is being a little aggressive lately, chasing off Kit (who were actually ok with each other not all that long ago!) and some of the budgies too. It is mainly happening in the shed - where they are all a little closer to each other. Is this more like female behaviour? Kaz and Kit are very close - Kit is feeding Kaz quite a lot - which makes us think one is female and the other male but again, not 100% sure! duno

IF we do get a nesting box and Kit and Kaz pair up, could this cause more aggressive behaviour in Kai?

If anyone can help - Muva and I would be really grateful!
Cheers for now!

Faye
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject:

yellows tend to be more passive than Reds. We have yellows nesting quite happily with a pair of crimsons.
It is the male that gets aggressive...intimidating is better description. They will even bully large birds like Kings.
The female will do the same between the period not long after eggs are laid and chicks hatch.
We do have one current aviary with a pair of reds and another red male, with chicks in the nest, he will get intimidated at veggie feeding time.
These 3 have been together since weaning from their parents.
There is another pair, where the male goes crazy defending the nest, and the female also when she comes out from sitting.
We have had Kikes in with finches and burkes who are trying to nest. Kikes being of a very active a curious nature tend to destroy the others nesting attempts with their continual 'play'

The feeding is preliminary behaviour to mating, that usually takes place on a large perch between 11:30am and 1:30pm during the day. This behaviour follows the male 'bobbing in front of the female, often chasing her around to get her attention. If the female is unresponsive at this early stage the male can get a little aggressive and on some rare occasions they have to be separated.
Breeding Kikes requires 2 nesting boxes, the female will lay a 2nd batch of eggs before the 1st batch leaves the nest...this is described in other sections of the forums.
From the pics in the gallery your Reds look like males, this would explain the behaviour. It also appears they could be hybrids between red/yellows
It is not a good idea to cross breed between reds and yellow species. I assume your yellow is a yellow crown species and not a yellow mutation of the red species.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: MATING

hi i have 2 kakarikis one yellow and one green and they are mating is this ok. i put them in an aivary and bought a nesting box but there are no eggs and she is in there a lot but she makes a strange sqeeky sound when we go near the aivary or to feed them is this normall and will she eventually lay THANKYOU. duno
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject:

w3c to our site m8.
Regarding mating yellow/green
A "yellow" is refering to a yellow crown rather than a yellow lutino mutation of the orginal 'wild' red crown. I assume the latter is thats what u mean...have a look thru the galleries u will see what I mean.
Hybridising red crown anf yellow crown (2 diff species) is not a good idea.

Regarding The rest...yes it is normal.... thu keep an eye on her in case of egg binding.
Be aware once they start breeding u can end up in a never ending circle requiring 2 nesting boxes and a lot of space signlol
To the left is a block called "quick Search" in the top box if u put in words like egg bind 2 nest boxes newbie it will search info in the forums for u.

If in any doubt, keep asking questions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject:

hi thankyou 4 w3c ing me. i dont think they are different species because they both have the red on their heads and around the eyes its just the main colour of the body one is yellow and one is green but what i think is called the crown are both the same but distinctively the male having the larger beak as you can tell im new to this. THANKYOU is my assumption that they are the same species correct??????? Think Think
beaker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: egg binding

ohh and whats the best way of telling if shes egg binding thanks again. :?:
Wiccawolf
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Behaviour changes during breeding

I have found a significant change in the behaviour of my birds during breeding.... The cock has become extremely vocal and agressive. Where he used to play on my shoulders, and enjoy an occasional scratch behind the ear, now he threat displays as soon as I enter the room, changes his vocalization to a much more unfriendly one akin to a bark and he flutters his wings. He has lunged at me totally unexpectedly and bit me on the lip, drawing significant blood. He will attack anything that comes near him, the hen or the box. He spends most of his time within inches of the nest opening. He threatens neighbour birds if they approach the cage ( while on their time out for a walk ) except for the Cockatoo. He cringes when she goes by. He will bite the toes of any of the smaller birds if they are too slow getting off his cage.

I helped handraise both these Kaks.

The hen has become less vocal, less affectionate, more aloof, and spends most of her time for the last month in the box. She still likes to socialize with me althoo less infrequent , and only nips occasionally, rarely hard. She does not like being handled very much right now.

I have another pair just starting this behaviour, so I hope more eggs are on their way. Their 1st clutch as well. I am now restricting the birds time out of the cage, so as to not further stress the new parents-to-be.

Wolf devil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: