Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Snorting/hissing noise?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Snorting/hissing noise?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drusillamac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Snorting/hissing noise?

Hello all,

My Kakariki has only done this twice but I was wondering if there was any logic behind it. I tried searching the forum under "snorting" and "grunting" and nothing came up.

On two occasions, when I have been tying his cage door open he has made a snorting noise at me. I'm not sure if I was invading his territory (his cage door is opened frequently throughout the day so he's used to it) or had done something else to piss him off. Any thoughts?
Butterfly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:

My little kaka has done a kind of grunting noise, but to a visitor in the home, putting their hand near her. I haven't experienced it myself from her, so I'm not sure what bothered your little guy, as he would be accustomed to you and having his door open. Sorry I can't be of much help, but it does seem to be a noise they make when not happy about something. Hope you work out what it is. Maybe he just woke up in a bad mood on those occasions. We all have our grumpy mornings.
Drusillamac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: *bump*

Sorry to dredge up this post again but I'm getting concerned about my kakariki.

He's now making this noise (it sounds like a low screaming noise) almost anytime my boyfriend or I got near his cage. This includes when we're opening his cage door and changing his food/water dishes. It gets worse when we have to clean out his cage. We have tried talking to him in a low voice when we're carrying out these tasks but nothing has worked.

Any more thoughts? He's not very hand friendly. We have been attempting to tame him for a while but he takes 'mood' swings. Sometimes he's happy to take some seed from our knees (weird I know) and then sometimes he doesn't bother.
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Does it sound anything like a bark, or raar/rak?

Mine do that when they dont like something, mostly when you say a word with a lot of S's in it, which dont help when one of their names is Kasim.

I used to have 2 breeding pairs in separate large cages, but now both females have died, the 2 males have barking/rak'ing matches every so often with each other.

It sounds like a dominance issue, the Kak thinks he is at the top of the pecking order. You just need to show him/her that you show no threat at all.

Leaving the cage open like you have done is good, try putting your clenched fist in there when the Kak is out of the cage, when him/her comes back in, keep fist in there to show you show no danger to the kak. They will get used to your hands that way, but if the kak does get really distressed, slowly move hand out and carry on as normal, dont shout at the kak or move quickly.
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject:

They cant really bite you if your hand is really clenched, they will make a "wak wak wak wak wak" noise and eyes will go to a pinpoint.

If this happens and the kak doesnt move away after say 10 seconds, remove your hand slowly.

Just keep trying that, eventually they will not see your hand as a threat, thats how I learned both my male kaks and they happily jump on my hand when I go towards them slowly.

And food helps a lot also,. try putting some food on the back of your hand when its in there, kaks eat a lot and eat anything, so try some of their favourite food, I used a tiny amount of peanut butter or egg food.
Drusillamac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the tips, everyone. He still makes the noise but I think it is very much a case of 'You're invading my personal space'. We've just moved house and Dante seems to have taken a lot of it in his stride Applause
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: