Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - prolonged sick bird..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

prolonged sick bird..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: prolonged sick bird..

Hey there.. have had a sick hen for several days :oops: embarrassed that I did'nt think she'd last this long..

Anyhow she's indoors now, lathargic, reluctant to fly,is eating enticing more water.. everything she seems wld suggest egg binding maybe however she has no mate, have never seen her mate either.
gut tells me infection ..from where i am puzzled.

she's been on areally varied diet (proper spoilt) -today, I gave her water with hint of vinegar, finely chopped garlic, fresh herbs cuttlefish, spinach and egg food just to help aid anything naturally duno

her poors are very dark with the white..does this suggest something undetected?

Any ideas guys?
michelleboyce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject:

Hi Looby, I'm in Australia and just read about your sick hen.Has anyone replied cause I couldn't find a reply.Really feel for you,hope it all works out,keep us up to date about what it is that's making her sick.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject:

Missed thethread...how is she doing?
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Hi there,.. I had her on aheat pad and comfored yeasterday afternoon but sdly she just slipped away Crying or Very sad

I have to admit she was one of the first clutch that were inbred..I guess it was this ie liver complaint?..kidney?..some other internal failure due to this that cld have been the cause..Am lucky to have enjoyed her for a year.

feel abit flat, as this is the second youngster i've lost in as many months..
maybe I'm missing something vital in my set up and duties -I duno

am gonna check as many old threads as i can..i mst be leaving something out?..
thanks for replying anyway
xx
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject:

wall just realised..my compensating geens for spinach to give added antibiotic properties wld have stopped her obsorbing the calcium i was givi her...i truely am clueless to finding a good balance wiv sick birds.. emb
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Hey Loob!

donīt beat yourself up.
I for one have "killed" (or I think I contributed to some extent) a few birds out of ignorance.

Thereīs a French breeder of cockatiels, rosellas and red rumps. He spends 3-4 hrs everyday with his birds, and knows each one of his 300-400 birds.
He has been breeding birds since late 70s
And still once in a while he looses an adult bird here or there, and several youngsters every season.

And yet his % are very good because with many pairs of the same species you always have a nest where you can place abandoned chicks etc... and experience helps notice any bird that is not in 100% condition.

So taking all this into account he still looses a few birds every season, adults and chicks (including egg binding in random hens, which are fed the same and housed in the same conditions as the others...) we canīt but accept that itīs unevitable.

Then of course I think itīs great to analyze mistakes and change our methods in order to improve.

Sometimes I wonder how some of my birds survived my beginnings signlol

Cheers / P.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject:

Wink Thanks Pabloc, you always seem to find the logical answers to make sense of it all.. I am a beginner with this species and (doubt I cld ever have another breed now-cept maybe a KING when i've gained more experience!)

I live to learn so am always trying new things out and trying to check the right info-hence this FABULOUS site Applause ..and it's always nice to know there is always someone that will contact you with advice

but we know all this,right? ..just wanted to say THANKS

..I have introduced new blood but they seem to stick together -cld be more time needed..would like to get some more..but I think i'll improve all i can for a few months till I do..

Btw how many Kakariki do you have yourself now, do you breed them naturally for your own pleasure, or to sell?

Loob
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Hi Loob!

if I did this for money, I wouldnīt breed kakariki, and I wouldnīt breed grey cockatiels, or edged cockatiels.
I would breed pied and lutino cockatiels and handfeed them, or in bigger parrots... senegal or african greys.

But I do this for pure pleasure and fun! And I breed what I like.
I have around 25 tiels and 15 kikes, and since last week 6 young budgies. The budgies thing... long old story.
Maybe Iīm weird, and instead of moving into bigger birds I go to smaller, easier, simpler birds. Call me what you want, but those green little fellas are good fun.
I also have 2 plumhead parakeets and 5 lineolated parakeets. The linnies Iīm selling them, they donīt fit in, usually stressed etc... and plumheads are doubtful, they are a bit nippy for my taste.

Kakariki mutations, I breed greens, pied (recessive and dominant), and I have a special strain of pied that Iīm trying to work. But Iīm growing more and more fond of the wildcolor. The cinnamon mutation... I donīt like it too much, and fallows are not available here (only hybrids)
I guess I donīt need to explain why I keep and breed kikes signlol

Iīm planning on breeding 5-6 pairs in oct-nov. , probably only 1-2 clutches. Otherwise itīs too many chicks to take care of, sell etc... and Iīm not very fond of petshops and wholesalers.
Maybe I put now in the summer 2-3 pairs in case I need to foster cockatiels, as this summer is being quite mild.

About other breeds, I canīt tell you if kings are easy to keep or not but Steps has this motto of "work hard at being lazy" so I think if they were complicated he wouldnīt keep them signlol
But nevertheless you do the right thing about concentrating in 1 thing at a time.

For me itīs been a bit paralell since the beginning, I have been keeping tiels and kikes. I had other species, a pair or two, to try them out and see what I liked, I had lovebirds, forpus and ringnecks. I think it was great experience because I learned I wanted peaceful species, that were not noisy, and confident so I could observe them without scaring them. I like to interact with my birds.
And of course kikes and tiels can use the same type of facilities, be housed together, "similar" diets, etc...

Ok I talk too much about birds LOL Iīll stop before I hijack your thread.

Iīm glad my words helped you.
I donīt try to be politically correct, itīs just the honest way I see things, we donīt do this full time and many of us around here have been at this for a couple of years only.

Cheers / Pablo

Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject:

thumb nice read Pabloc,
Agreed- I love the interaction the best ,I am always talking to them and it only took a fortnight for my newbie lad to repeat a frase used by my males!
T he pleasure I get from them swarming you as soon as you enter the flight
is grand..to interact that close and be able to touch them - they are so trusting!...blah blah blah..
..Steps I will stop this tread now!!

cool site!
x
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steps I will stop this tread now!!

Why?
Bit of general chat ...nps m8

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: prolonged sick bird

Hi Looby, sorry you lost you bird, just wondered did you check to see if she was egg bound after she went, handy to know for future reference. Regards Laurie.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
T he pleasure I get from them swarming you as soon as you enter the flight
is grand..

Indeed, they bully me all the time signlol

What Laurie (foxman) says is indeed important. I donīt have the guts to autopsy my bids though. Too much for me.
Usually eggbound hens go downhill in a matter of 24hrs, but I have read cases of hens agonizing for several days.

Cheers / Pablo

Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject:

well...I did read somewhere on the net that you can 'feel' to check if the hen is/was egg bound along with other signs..and all seemed norm, however she was not quite herself a fortnight before, i just kept my eye on her as the weather was raging hot for several days then terrific down pour and gail winds and a sudden burst of sunshine to cap..
she had at the start of this a very slight swollen eye lid which then irritated her two days later..i sprayed her through out -figured she'd scratched it -no obvious cause or injury?..this cleared up and she was fine for a day or two then she distanced herself from the rest and dozed more..I added more antibiotic properties through veg/fruit/herbs
remedies to see if helped ..and she started to show an improvement.perked up Dancing ..she did this acouple of times..sulked abit then perked up and acted like nothing was ever wrong Think
..then she hid for a day inside(alarm bells ring once more) second day distanced herself, 3rd day dozed more,4th day sitting on floor all the time she still flew, ate and drank??
brought her in on the fifth day as when i entered the flight she was sitting on the floor and wld only step aside when i walked in..not her at all!
..I kept her warm, uped her diet for supplimentry natural anti-wotsits d'oh! and she chirped goods days- sat on low perch climbed the bars, bad days losing grip for a while..typical bird tho..just when you think they're on the mend u find out it was huge act before their big finale Shocked

So ya see she panned it out for sometime, she never really puffed herself up and just wasted away like most..thats why with her ups and downs i assumed each time she mearly had just 24hrs!..THIS is why i think i failed her

Think

My birds are behaving most weird this yr...the courtships and mating seems to have been a hit for the longest time on record!!!! So much food an choice has beenn thrown at them has probably contributed to this ..
nesting boxes of various sizes and placed apart have been in for yonks now ..lots of activity but none have gone to nest? Anyone else having this this yr?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: