Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - moods have changed since nest box was added!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

moods have changed since nest box was added!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: moods have changed since nest box was added!!!

hi everyone, i have two kaks 1 called amy(8 to 9mths) n 1 called big dave (bout 7mths). big dave was feeding amy and everything was going well "i even caught them attempting to mate" so i added a nest box!!! since this has happened amy has spent most of her time in the box, but wont let dave near the thing, she has also started to show aggression towards dave, but not all the time. is this normal?????? any pointers would be really helpful as i am new to breeding birds thanks.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:

occassionaly this happens...we have a pair at the moment like that.
have noticed it tends to be when a young couple (4 to 9 month) are paired up, in partular the female.

The pair we have at the moment like that, once she laid, she got real agressive...all the male wanted to do is feed her...and she defends the nest box against all comers, him and me...much more so than have seen on previous occassions with other instances.

Being young, we dont expect any chicks to hatch, and removed 4 of the 6 eggs to other hens sitting...and removed the male from the flight...
A bit of experiment 'see what happens'
She comes out occassionally to feed, drink and all seems ok.
If any eggs do hatch it should be in the next week or so.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject:

thankyou for your reply, like i said i am very new to this. my aviary is going to be indoor but is still under constuction!!!!! my kaks are in a large parrot cage 2ft wide x 2ft deep and 5ft in height, the nest box is attatched to the outside. it sounds like my kaks are behaving just like yours, they are young but she is definately older than the male. i will leave the male in the cage as the aggression isn't too bad YET! see what happens that way. my kaks are relatively tame and are kept in the family home so should i keep them more isolated???? thanks for your time steptoe im grateful as i find these crazy birds facinating they truly do have a carracter of there own....
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
2ft wide x 2ft deep and 5ft in height,

If anything you need W and L rather than height so they have space to Fligh
And use the search box to the left about diet....Diet is critical

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject:

thanks for the heads up matey will get on with the indoor flight pronto d'oh! ....by the way will it be ok to move them during nesting?? thair diet consists of parrot mix(sunlower seeds, grass seeds, dried fruit e.g banana & raisens, dried chillies "which they seem to love.) also they love green fresh fruit n veg e.g apples n grapes, broccoli and carrots. i hope all these are fine as i want my dudes to be healthy! i understand how passionate members are on this site about kaks, n so am i only 3 months into owning 2. so please EVERYONE feel free to give me your views, im here to learn. one last thing 2 mths ago before i bought my male amy had abit of a turn... she was very drowsy n couldn't maintain balence i wrapped her in a small blanket as she was laid flat on her face. it took an hour or two till she perked up n has been fine ever since duno any ideas people?? both birds look in tip top condition dave is very large but amy is much smaller will ad photos when i figure out how!

thanks...

brucie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
by the way will it be ok to move them during nesting??

kakariki are real tollerant
We trapped the parent in the nesting box, dismantled the avairies, moved them to another town some 80 miles away, reassembled the avairy/flights put the nesting boxes back, and they carried on as if nothing happened.
We have moved nesting boxes betwen flights, and even swapped chicks of all ages between different pairs
Never had a problem.

Quote:
thair diet consists of parrot mix(sunlower seeds, grass seeds, dried fruit e.g banana & raisens, dried chillies "which they seem to love.) also they love green fresh fruit n veg e.g apples n grapes, broccoli and carrots. i hope all these are fine as i want my dudes to be healthy!

Ok Im reading between the lines here...
they have seed, and everything else is inconsistant and 'treats'
NO!
kakariki eat around 4 to 5 times by weight veggies and fruit/ meat/bones on top of that.
When a parrot "loves" a certain food, then that indicates a nutrional defifency...or junk food.
We feed, sweet corn, peas, celery, beetroot and leaves, silver beet, cali, broccolli, mung/alfa/mustard sprouts, carrot, chop choy, pasley, mint, sage, letuce, cabbage 2x everyday 365 days a yr
Then on top of that ALL the veggie scapes from our meal preparation..potato peelings, kumura, pumkin skins and seeds, brocclli and cali stems....nothing gets thrown out.
Then there is the left over cooked meat from BBQs, cassoroles, roast dinners, with the bones chopped up with a cleaver....chicken cacas etc.

Then there is cuttlefish and pumice sand on the floors of the flights.
And apple cider vinigar in the veggies every 3 to 5 days.
And mist spraying 50/50 water vingar soln all birds and flights around every 4 to 6 weeks.

When one keeps animals and even fish, one must understand the enviroment that they have evolved in.
Kakariki come from a sub tropical jungle...where what you find in seed mixes come from foreign countries....
They spend a lot of time on the ground digging for grubs...very high in protein and iron, and soils that are acid in nature.
NA has no native mamals, (except for a small bat) our bids have evolved in the ecology to replace rats, mice, monkeys, tigers foxes to have an balance of nature.

General recommendations for breeding is birds should be about 12 months old...this is because 99.9% of breeders do not supply a consistant varired diet which produce weaker birds....we will pair up when they want , even at 2 to 3 months nps
General recomendation is not to breed any more than 2 or 3 consective batches again for the reasons above.....we will breed pairs all yr round, thats 6 to 8 batches, nps .. had 1 case of egg binding several yrs ago.

We get the occassional defective chick, nature does that...out of a 100 chicks, maybe 1 or 2...
W have never had a bird die of anything, except old age. or had to put down due to a rogue bird thats attacked them...and the rogue bird.

Reason..... Diet
The only time we use suppliments is the occassional cat biskets, couple per bird every few weeks, and when we get in new stock for an intial boost to bring up to the std of our birds, untill they get weened off junk foods onto fresh diets over serveral months.
And food scraps fresh veggies is a damn lot more cheaper than seed....espec if have a small veggie patch.

Diet Diet Diet...

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject:

thankyou AGAIN!!! u've been a very patient! .... dont u get sick of all the questions????? ..... diet will be matched as closely to the diet u've explained with some eceptions "i think i may have trouble getting sum things as i've never heard of them n dont kno if they are available in the uk.

moods have settled down now, she making alot less fuss....poor dave jus sits on his own outside the box, he looks really glum!!! amy only cums out to bathe n eat n drink then she is back in her box..... if all fails now i think
i'll rest them while winter cums..... a little bit cooler n a little bit older.

thanks again for your advice steptoe ur a real gem

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"i think i may have trouble getting sum things as i've never heard of them n dont kno if they are available in the uk.

Every thing is avalible in UK..maybe not kumura sweet potato ???
Google.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:

Hello. Im new Laughing I have 4 kakis in an outdoor avairy and my eldest about 4/5 years, AJ is also started showing the same symptons. She is being fed by Sarah ( who i think is male now) and since putting a different nest box is in it all the time, could she be starting to nest?. My kaks also love dried chillies, grass, dandilions, and various fruits but not much veg. I would love to breed my kaks can you advice anything else to help them along please thanks.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Yes..But watch that the breeding pair dont start getting agreesive/intimidating to the other birds in the flight.

Sounds like the flock have been together for a long time..we have found in some cases its ok to breed without issues in this case.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject:

Just checked the nest box AJ (mum) + SARAH (dad) have an egg. Sarah has had a go at one of the other birds a budgie but they are keeping away. Theres 2 other Kakis in the avariy FRED and the newbi SAMMI sex unknown of both, 4 budgies and a quail. Most of them have been together for over 3 years. How many eggs do Kakis usually have ? how long before hatching etc any info greatly recieved.
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject:

hi
it vary's i had a hen lay 7 but iv'e heard it can be 12, soon as chicks reach several weeks old tho your hen will start to lay another clutch so make sure there's an extra nest box for her.
the male will then look after the chicks while she gets started on another clutch.
i didn't do this an had an awful time so i hope this helps

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject:

We added another nest box the other day ( before a reply) mainly for the other birds. Then we covered it up because AJ was taking an interest in it. We was a bit concerned because we didnt want her to abandon her eggs. She still has 3 eggs, but we have found an egg smashed on the avairy floor. So will the male (sarah) take over the first nest?.
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Should i leave the other nest box closed untill the eggs have hatched?.
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject:

shouldn't matter i'd just leave it open
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: