Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Very naughty male
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Very naughty male

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Very naughty male

Hi all just some general advice i have 2 kakarikis and i am nearly 100% sure male and female. She is so gentle and quite while he is a monster signlol, outside the cage he is so protective even over protective that if you get her on your hand (she is so loving and tame now) he has got to be there. He feeds her as calls for her all the time but put them back in the cage and he is really naughty and chases her quite a lot and tells her of for feeding on the millet and so on. Just asking is this normal or do i need a larger cage or something. As i am writing this they are very calm and feeding together so its not all the time its as if he just has a daft few minutes! he even takes his temper out on the mirror signlol.
Kirin
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject:

Kakariki males can be very defensive of their 'family'...any percevieved threat... It is basic animal instinct...even humans.
Take a situation in a building, the male generally walks 1st...say the fire alam goes off, the female gathers the children, the male paves the way to safety
How big is the cage? to smalla cage will certainly influence.
Thought about cutting a hole in the side and hanging a nesting box off the side?....but be prepared for somewhere to hold offspring.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject:

Thanks Steptoe, he has actually tried to mate her tonight but slipped of the curtian rail signlol, They are only about 14 wks old so is this not to young to breed? and what happens if they are from the same brood (bought from a not so birdie pet shop). He has calmed down quite a lot, I did change thier cage so i think that could of have been a problem.
Kirin
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
They are only about 14 wks old so is this not to young to breed?

Yes and no.
IF and this is a big IF they are parant raised and the parants have been feed a FULL and Consistant diet including protiens t everyday, and raised the chicks...the chicks will be strong like in the wild.
If not you are likely to run into issues like egg binding , vit and mineral defiencies, infetility etc.
This is why the general opinion is that they should be as with most bird species be 9 to `12 months old....enough time to allow a good diet to produce strong healthy birds.

From what I have seen over the yrs 99% if breeders do not feed consistantly and varied enough...often having to rely on expensive supliments.
If you dont know, feed a good and consistant diet plus some suplliments till the chicks hatch, by that time they will be eating far more vegiies fruit meat than seed and the young will grow up big and healthy.

Quote:
what happens if they are from the same brood (bought from a not so birdie pet shop).

Which is very likely, and very likely their parents are also very closely related.
ANY chicks that appear defective...destroy...kjeep the best male and female, assuming they have no defects.
Keep a good look out for new stock to introduce new blood.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject:

Im glad I saw this post-
Ive had my birds for 2 weeks now, I too am about 90% sure I have male and female. They are 22ish weeks. They have a REALLY good sized indoor aviary. This Past couple of days, the male has been absolutely horrid to the smaller female. They have been housed together from 16 weeks onwards, and no problems til now. They are fine thru most of the day, he feeds her and doesnt bother her too much, but at dusk he chases her down to the floor, bites, kicks, wont let her near food, or anywhere near 'his' top perch. My friend said it sounds like I might have 2 males, maybe one is just small.... Another said its just adolesence. This morning, my partner caught them 'mating'- would this occur with two males? Any ideas please? I really dont want the smaller one being picked on. (Sorry, I dont seem to be able to upload a pic to this site.) Thankyou.
kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject:

Hi Moko, my two act in exactly the same way, he is now roosting on the highest perch. He absolutly adores her, but a couple of minutes every day he really goes mad with her and then next minute like yours he feeds her and is very attentive. I dnt know much about sexing them but there are posts on this site that are very helpful and i am 100% mine are male and female.
Cheers Kirin
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject:

Keep an eye on them....we get the very occassional male like that, and he can beat up on the female rather bad over time...
From experiance we separate when that happens rather than persist.
Its usually when one has a young male..
I have a therory that sometimes young males should not be used to breed off....in the wild it is the dominate male that gets the breeding females, these dominate males keep the young males in line till they settle down when they get older.
We see this in our communty holding flights...a young male gets a bit stoppy the alpha male steps in and sorts out quick.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks guys. Kirin, i'm glad to see i'm not on my own with this- Steptoe, I will give them another couple of days, if it persists I shall have to see if I can take him back and swap for another one. Sad I hope it doesnt come to that, because I believe that can also cause grief, after they seemed to have paired so well. Shame I dont have another aviary/cage to put him in.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Shame I dont have another aviary/cage to put him in.

That is a MUST if considering breeding at all....
not just being able to separate, but to have as a holding flight for chicks

We have had 3 pairs last yr produce between 20 and 34 chicks...PER PAIR.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:

No, it wasnt intentional, I was told I was buying 2 females....:-S Then that I had one male one female.:-o Ive recently been told I have 2 males....:'(? Its all so confusing! I really wish I could get a picture or two to upload for you to look at, then i'd have more of an idea as to my next move. They are so completely different its hard to tell. My pied LOOKS male, he's bigger, louder, cockier, wide beak. My 'cinnamon' is much smaller, friendlier, not as strong in voice, but in ratio- 'her' beak looks a similar size to 'his'. The mating thing was not the plan!
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Hi Moko,

breeding is your choice, if you donīt give them a nest, they wonīt likely breed.
I had some hens lay the occasional egg on holding flights, and once they were brooding in the seed bowl signlol but I removed the eggs, end of the story.

This year I had some health problems, felt really tired, etc... made a really painful choice which was to put off breeding (I have 12 pairs of cockatiels, 7 pairs of kakariki).
I didnīt have the energy to take care properly of the parents, nor the energy to look after the hatchlings.

Itīs very painful because it means another blank/zero year for me, especially with cockatiels because they can only breed from March until September. Now many of them are moulting and that means no breeding. I have a limited choice and of course these chicks will be too young to breed in 2011.
But... I look back and I think I did the best, for the birds and for myself.

I think we must be responsible and be aware breeding is our choice, and only breed when we have the conditions to do so. Conditions mean space, knowledge, regular diet, etc...

And then of course... consider what are we going to do with the chicks.

Cockatiels are easier to manage, since clutches are usually 2-4 chicks and they are more popular.
Kakariki... as Steps says they can breed like rabbits and all of a sudden you might find yourself with 5-7 chicks and the female brooding the next batch.

To summarize, there is a choice about breeding or not breeding!!!

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject:

Well, im pleased to say, things seem to have settled down. He still has his odd moment of domineering, but its a whole lot better. As for the 'mating'? Not seen it happen since, which is good. :)
manders
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject:

We have two young birds in the house, idea was to tame them. They are reasonably tame but not totally trusting yet. They often sit on the curtain rail. Yesterday my wife had to catch the male and put him back in the room as he had flown upstairs. A few hours later when we were both sat in room, the male dropped down behind the curtain like a bomb being launched from a plane a flew straight towards both of us, went between our heads with inches to spare and straight back to the curtain rail. Not sure if that was revenge for being caught earlier or something else...
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject:

When the birds do that they are checking things out.
The secret is not to flinch.....
When they get confident that the target is safe they will land.

They will get so close to tap you on the head with a wing as they go past.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: