Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Will these eggs be fertile
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Will these eggs be fertile
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Will these eggs be fertile

AJ laid her eggs on the 14th, 16th and 18th July. She has sat on them all the time. I have just looked at them with a light and im worried that they arn't fertile. One of the certainly isn't as its very light weight and is pink/clear inside. The other 2 seem to have an air sack near to the top point of the egg and are heavier than the other. Im compairing them with my finches eggs so i know if there pink/ clear there no good. Would it be better to leave them a bit longer or take them out and see if they try again. These are her first eggs and she's around 4 to 4 1/2 years old. Thanks.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject:

We leave the eggs till the female abandons them.
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject:

AJ's got a baby.
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:

Yay! :)
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject:

thumb

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Just checked on AJ and her chick and the chick is no where to be found :sad: . I had a quick check of the bedding and its not there. It carn't get out of the box. If it died will she eat it. duno
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject:

Found it it has died. :sad: :sad:
bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject:

imsry Sorry for your loss.Know how you feel I had three clutches before any success, I now have two thriving babies out of a clutch of 11. I tend to blame my bad husbandry cos she's a great parent. Keep at it i'm sure she'll reward you Pray
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject:

Too bad, next one will be better! Chicks will get lucky and make it to weaning!

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject:

Thru inbreeding, and breeders not culling out defective birds (regardless how nice or gig they are), and all they se are dollars...breeding lines that have genetic defects ...these get out in the market place.

Our experiance, kakariki lay between 6 and 8 eggs mormally
Of those 1 to 3 do not hatch (which I believe is normal because they act as hot water bottles when mum is out.)
Out of around 70 to a 100 chicks hatched maybe 2 or 3 die or are culled.

The linage is traced back several genrations to see if it has happened before....if so then the whole linage is then culled out.

This was the advice I got from one of the Peters in Europe yrs ago.

Sound drastic?
Nope....'Production' goes up, expense per bird drops dramatically, and the quality of the birds, strong big birdss, good feathers, colour, bright eyes goes way up.

From memory studies made in the wild shows about a 60% to adulthood.

Also check for vermin..mice...they have been known to even nest in the nesting box with the birds, and the breeder didnt even know till he lost eggs and then the chicks....regular vermin maintance is a MUST, as important as feeding your birds.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys. I havent checked the nest this morning, may be 1 of the remaining 2 eggs will have hatched. 1 i think will be empty. I see it as natures way. As for vermin steptoe, we have i believe protected the avairy quite well with small mesh fencing, it surrounds top bottom and all sides, it is 10mm by 10mm squares, we also have rat/mice bait around the avairy. This has been put in cut of sections of plastic drain pipe with the bait secured with wire. The pipe is around 2foot long with the bait in the middle so our dog or neighbours cat etc cart get in to it. Im going away to costa skeggness (seaside) later for a few days so i wont be on, will let you know what happens.
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject:

The second egg did hatch but the chick had already died. Ive now taken the other egg out as it was no good. On the other hand ive seen Fred mating and feeding Sammi so at least i now know what sex all of my Kakis are.
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject:

Just checked AJ nest box and she has 2 eggs. This is her 2nd attempt so fingers crossed for some chicks that will last more than 2 days. She has moved into the second nest box.
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject:

AJ and Sarah have now got 4 eggs, 1 more than her last clutch. Sarah has now took to sleeping in the other nest box, some thing he never did with the first clutch.
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject:

How it all going Fanclub??
Any news yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: