Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - kakariki mating
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

kakariki mating
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: kakariki mating

hi all i have 2 kakarikis and they are mating so i put them in a aviary as they were in a slightly smaller cage, and bought a nesting box which she is using a lot but shes been in it now for about 3 too 4 days and there are no eggs but she makes a funny noise when we go to feed them ( near aivary) is she being protective and will she eventually have eggs. THANKYOU. duno
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject:

Hi Beaker,

I've got two kak's that i've done the same with.

She also spent alot of time in the nest box and made a lot of funny noises when i went near the box.

Now she has two eggs and is very protective.

The first was layed Wednesday and the second layed on Friday night, so all being we'll she might lay one tonight.

She only started making the noises at me 4 or 5 days before the first egg appeared, so keep your fingers crossed.

Jon

aegg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.64 KB
 Viewed:  176 Time(s)

aegg.jpg

Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject:

Some of my kakariki hens make quite a racket (more than half)when they are in the nest and there is any movement nearby.

If a hen is spending most of the day in the nest, it means that 9/10 times she will lay eggs within a week.
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject:

I'm now up to three eggs, one laid every two days.

Any idea how long before they start to hatch?
beaker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: kakariki mating

you guys are great i went to feed them tonight and she really did make a raket not sure if there are any eggs yet though because i didnt want to upset her too much but i really want to have a peak emb Laughing its been about three days and when i checked last there were no eggs so i dont no if im over worried but im really scared of her egg binding is it a regular thing thank you Wink Wink
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject:

If you want to have a peek wait till she pop's out.
My Kiki pop's out long enough for me to have a quick look, she sits and watch's me with an evil eye.

Give her a couple more days for an egg to appear, mine was in there about 5 days before the first one .

Where in the UK are you Beaker? just curious as your the first English person i've found that owns a Kak.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject:

Before checking nests I make sure my presence is know by talking to the birds in the aviary, hello , how are u stuff like that.
Before Checking the nest I sort of gently drum my fingers, like when one is bored, except I use the back of my finger nails, on the side of the nest. Then open slowly...The parent is in the dark, sudden daylight I assume sort of blinds them, they cant focus, they don't know what is happening, and fear is no more than fear of the unknown, for them and us.
After a while the hen gets to know and will often remain on the eggs, or at most just move to the back of the nest. If she remains on the nest I gently move her over if I have to see eggs or chicks.
When The chicks have their 1st main feathers appearing, I will take them out, always supported by the body but let them grip a finger with their feet.
The parents have usually climbed out by then. I will hold up the chick to the parents to see...I have even had a parent feed them like that Shocked

If I am by myself and want to check all the chicks, one runs out of hands, so I put them up inside my jersey, or down inside my shirt.
Caution on the shirt part, don't let them near your nipples Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: kakariki mating

Shocked when i went to feed them today she went ballistic Anxious is this a good sign she wont let me near the box she just does this Twisted Evil but im just going to have to check im from halifax west yorkshire and this site is so good very helpful the people on here are gr8 Applause Laughing
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject:

Oh well, we wont hold u being from halifax, west yorkshire against u too much...u cant help being born a Pom, thu it is unfortunate Shocked

Quote:
very helpful the people on here are gr8

Well u are part of it now m8, many of those who help out where newbies like u, asked questions, observered their birds, and now also use their own observations to help out where they can.

Good internet communities can be more than just that.
About 8 yrs ago I got into a online gaming squad playing Delta Force in touniments against other international squads on a weekly basis, practice nights, voice comunications, just like a football team. Last yr we (27 out of 33 of us) all flew into a small town sth of Sydney Australia for the weekend many with all their families. When ever squad members travel, we always have a place to stay with our families, cars hired for us, accomidation booked. Even with guys from other squads.
People think the serious 'gamer' is kids its not, the ave age of a serious gamer is 35...we are the ones that can afford the computer hardware, trips, high end bandwidth, build and run our own international gaming servers etc.
www.an-squad.net
So if any members are heading to Auckland. NZ...or visiting another town in your country, let other members know. Older members here already swap birds, drop in for a coffee etc.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject:

We'll haveless of the 'POM' jokes thanks. Laughing
Saying that i think we are a bit out numbered on here. Crying or Very sad

I know what your saying about the online community Steptoe.
I'm on a Motorbike forum and we get together on regular basis and have people from all over the country meet up, with other members putting people up and such like.

Horray for the net !!
beaker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject:

<v> Applause hey all guess what im over the moon dala my (female kak) has had her 1st egg today and shes making even more noise d'oh! when im near but is the male supposed to go in the nest i assume he is feeding her because he will eat some egg mix and go in the nest but she makes so much noise when he does im a bit worried hes not supposed to but marley and dala (my 2 kaks) both look fine, how long b4 hatching and wats the best thing to do with chicks thankyooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Laughing Laughing
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject:

Read the thread on "'What do u feed your kikes."
Greens , Fruit diced meat for protien, along with a few left over chop bones. Couple yimes a day qith fresh..like feeding your cats morning and night. U will figure out the amount from experiance.
Just a enough so that there is just a little left over.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject:

<v> <v> Applause HI SHES LAYING WELL SHES HAD HER SECOND EGG DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THEY ARE LIKELY TO HATCH THANKYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Laughing Laughing
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject:

Hey Beaker,

My kiki layed her sixth egg last night !! Applause

I'm lead to believe they start to hatch 20-21 days after they lay the last egg.
( some one correct me if i'm wrong)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm lead to believe they start to hatch 20-21 days after they lay the last egg.
( some one correct me if i'm wrong)

No not wrong, that is the general rule of thumb...we have had eggs going well over 27 days and hatch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: