Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - New Kakariki Owners
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

New Kakariki Owners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: New Kakariki Owners

Hi all
My wife and I are new Kakariki owners. Lana is a friendly hand reared female about 10-12 weeks old and seems to be very happy in her new home.
She has a heathy appertite and eats continually and almost anything we give her, especially fruit, vege's and sunflower seed. Is this normal for these birds to have such a heathy appertite? Also we notice she is very quite, no whistling, churping or squawks of any kind!! She also preferes to sleep on the bottom of her cage. Are these normal traits of the Kakariki's?
No doubt we'll have more questions in the new future.
Look forward to hearing for you.
Milton & Sveta
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject:

Hi guys!

w3c onboard the ship!

Yes... kakariki spend their lifetime nibbling here and there, especially vegs and greens.
Aromatic herb leaves are becoming a big time favorite for my birds!

They are mostly silent, mine will chirp most of the time, with a dominant male or female becoming vocal occasionally during the day.
Sometimes during courtship they also become vocal.
But... it's a soft low-tone sound.

Feel free to search and read around old posts, and don't hesitate to post a reply on them, sometimes it's better than opening a new one, as people gets notified and it's easier to re-light some dead fires here and there signlol

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject:

Hi Milton and Sveta! w3c
They sound like perfectly normal kakariki to me!
Dont give them too many sunflower seeds cos theyll end up FAT!
Mine sleep in different areas, have a mad half hour of vocals 2 or 3 times a day, and spend most me their time rummaging for foods, flying, and power napping! Kaks eat mostly fruit and veg and herbs- shop bought seeds are very low on their list! My kaks are feasting on pomegranet, rosemary, mountain ash branch with berries and leaves, chicken bone, verbena, boiled egg, orange, beetroot stalks and brocoli as we 'speak'!
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine! :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: