Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Breeding season and taming question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Breeding season and taming question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Breeding season and taming question

Hi i live in ireland which is in GMT and we are just coming out of the summer season , today i purchased a pair of kakas and im really intrested in breeding so i can hand rare the youngsters . i have a breeding box and all the equipment , good big cage etc . If i put the box in now and let them settle to their new envoirment will they breed when they feel like it or is there an exact time or season that they breed .. room tempature never drops below 17 degreess celcius ... Sorry for newbie-ness .. love the site so far

Regards,
Eric
EricW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject:

any1 ?Sad
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Hi Eric!

w3c to te community!

I understand you are eager to know about these little fellas, but in 6 minutes... it's difficult that you will get any replies, but most posts get replied in 1-3 days, it's very strange that a thread goes away without any replies.

Regarding your questions, if you look around old threads you'll see many of the guys breed year round, and some of them like Steptoe and Stumbler don't even force them to stop. They leave the nests available all the time and let the birds pace themselves.

BUT... I would not attempt breeding with birds that have just arrived.
First I would adapt them to the new cage, enviroment, and diet. Then... I would make the nest available, but not before. I think.... at least 1-2 months for acclimatation.

By the way... what species are you keeping? Red fronted or yellow fronted?
Bought from a pet-shop or a breeder?

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
EricW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks so much for reply .. yes pet shop ... i have a red crowned latino male and a green red fronted hen .. i will hold off with the breeding then for a while .. is it ok to tame them in the mean time ?
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Tame, as for tame kakariki yes, indeed.
Open the door of the cage and let them wander around the room for a while while you read a magazine, they won't take long to become confident with you.
But be aware they are not cuddly like cockatiels.

Use the quicksearch block on the left to look for old posts on taming, tame, socialization, social, etc...

Cheers / Pablo

EricW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Again many thanks .. will do .. they seem pretty friendly so far but will explore this more deeply after theve settled in a little bit .. Way ahead of you buddy found some wonderful posts on tamiing ... Cheers

Eric :D
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject:

We approach breeding a little different as Pab explains.
We breed in avary flights out side, a climate not to different to yours.
Yes some of our pairs will breed all yr round...
But we do stop them after 5 batches ...about 3 months and they start again
Doing this it is absolutly essentual of good balanced , varied diet , consistantly every day, otherwise things likev egg binding, suspetabilty to sickness etc WILL happen...usually fatal.

Our pairs go to nest for the 1st time around the coldest week of the yr, 3rd week July (be about 3rd week Dec where u are)
Usually takes 2 to 3 months for a new pair to pair up...sometimes one gets a pair who just are not interested in each other....
Pairing new pairs we do in a community avary, let them choose, and they most times choose unrelated partners narurally...then move them to breeding flights.

If going to breed in a cage, consider what you will do with the off spring, anything from 4 to 8 chicks...and young adults who need space to fly around all day....A holding flight.

Taming by hand feeding...never done it..dont see the piont...hand feeding is hard time consuming work....I have tamed down everything from Adult wild suphur crested parrots to old captive breed kakariki...far less work and keeps their natural instincts/behavours, they are not (kakariki are not prone at all) prone to emotional dependance..feather plucking and associated issues.
Also I strongly believe and other here also agree, hand raising over several generation , the loose the instinctive abilty to raise chicks...in some cases at all.
Avary breed on natural diets also produce bigger healthy birds that are far more resistant to dease.

Do not let them out of the cage for upto a couple weeks, get them so they are very defensive of the cage...their terrority, even attack you when you clean the cage...that is good...this way they return very easy...espec it the lights are turned down, they go back to roost.

If going to breed, check with pics in the gallery and post that you have pure bred ..not hybrid cross with yellow crown...note the difference between hybrids and mutations

PS is the web site loading slow for you guys, I might have screwed something up this morning????

Cheers
Steps

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Hi Steps,

working ok for me.
Couple of points to highlight:

Quote:
Do not let them out of the cage for upto a couple weeks, get them so they are very defensive of the cage...their terrority, even attack you when you clean the cage...that is good...this way they return very easy...espec it the lights are turned down, they go back to roost.

Never thought of it, very nice tip, and it makes sense.

Quote:
hand raising over several generation , the loose the instinctive abilty to raise chicks...

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but happens the same with poultry and fowl.
In Aviornis magazine is quite common to see the odd article by random guys that are trying to breed a strain of pheasants or chicken with good breeding qualities. After many generations of incubator raising, those birds become lousy parents, and it takes a few generations to make good parents again.

With hookbills I think the same will happen, in due time.
I don't know for the guys in Belgium, Netherlands, etc... but over here some people is already having problems with a lot of macaws, amazons and greys not breeding, abandoning eggs or chicks. I bet handfeeding is probably one of the contributing factors for many of those cases.
Let alone behavior problems in pet birds, even people is having problems with nippy cockatiels.

But then... people don't want "wild" cockatiels. One of the easiest birds to tame down. A millet spray and a shiny golden or silver necklace and they'll become your new best friend.

In cockatiels, the yellocheeks have a lot of problems to brood eggs and raise the chicks, and it's thought that handfeeding together with poor selection are contributing factors.

End of rant.

Cheers / Pablo

EricW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject:

thanks for all the wonderful support :D
I let them have a bath this moring and then hen was grooming the male while he bathed , it was lovely to watch

I also noticed they "Kiss" alot ? or he feeds her ... not sure of the corrct term :/ :D
Thanks again
Eric
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject:

Hi

no, it's not kissing, it's the male feeding the hen.
What I find surprising is that they preen each other, in 4 years never seen my kikes do that.
Only when a cockatiel gets very very persistant they preen the cockatiel for... a few seconds.

Cheers / Pablo

Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject:

Mine preen too- usually the female trying to preen the male, but it never lasts very long before he gets narked with it.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What I find surprising is that they preen each other, in 4 years never seen my kikes do that.

No nore have I
Thu have seen the female what could be interpeted loosey as "preen" thrying to get the attention of the male, but hes not interested at that particular time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: