Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Sick girl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Sick girl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessbird

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Sick girl

Hi
I have a problem with my girl i got into the cage to clean and she flew straight into the door. She had a very swollen eye, however that seems to have gone down and she is still acting weird. Im not sure whats wrong she is holding her head funny and siting in the corner allot not really doing much. She is still feeding and eating when i get back into the cage she flys away so she is able to get away. Any suggestions.
jessbird

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I just went in to check her and she is all filled with gas and there is poo all stuck to her tail feathers.
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject:

Oh dear, doesnt sound very good.
Have you had her to an avian vet? Sounds like she mihjt need it..........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Went to the vet actually two vets and they couldn't work out what was wrong. I gave the guy from picton aquarium a ring out of desperation as i new he had Kakariki.He said it sounded weird, but when fish puff up like that you release gas out of there body with a syringe needle. I wasn't to keen on doing it so i took her to my vet who was a bit hesitant in doing it also, she just pricked the skin and fowl smelling air came out. She is now as happy as larry, i still cant believe it.
Funnily enough i rang the guy from the aquarium to thank him, and he couldn't believe it worked either. He actually said to me before i went to the vet Birds dont have swim bladders so there is no way it will work.
Maybe my kakariki does have a swim bladder.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject:

The people in Picton are members here, and setting up new flights etc
I believe a visit is well worth the effort, going on what several others have told me privately.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks steps would love to see you down this way some time. I still cant believed it worked Jess. Did the vet have any clue why or how it worked.
<v>
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I wasn't to keen on doing it so i took her to my vet who was a bit hesitant in doing it also, she just pricked the skin and fowl smelling air came out.

When is was younger, about 6 or 7 maybe, my grand father and I were out in the paddocks moving cattle... then he sent me back to the Austin pickup to get the long knife, and 1st aid bag, out of the glove box. This cow was pretty sick, so wasnt exactly to active...grand father tied her to the railings, felt down her side, held the knife up and wacked it into her..I remember the split sec look of fear/relief in the animals eyes....And the woooosh hit me as my grand father held the wound open....He thew some powder in the wound and sewed it up.
I can still smell that smell decades on, descided never to stand there again, But was forunate to be present when some else was just a shade too close... Whistle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject:

from what i understand birds dont have the ability to pass wind either oraly or analy so the bird might have eaten something that caused a build up of gas hence why the synge method worked the only reason i know this is because when i was a child my friends used to feed pidgions bread with bycarbonate of soda on and they would start flying then just drop outa the sky (technically exploding but not with a bang) i know its cruel but i assure you i never took part
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject:

As we discuss aerophagy, farts and other stuff...

'Lets see what everyone can do with the NZ Forest and Bird society Bird of the yr this yr..hasnt rated well in previous yrs.
http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/poll
Vote for kakariki is about 2/3rds of the way down the page.'

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: