Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - PIED CINNAMON x PIED NORMAL results
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

PIED CINNAMON x PIED NORMAL results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon_oz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: PIED CINNAMON x PIED NORMAL results

hey guys just wundering if i had a pair of pieds , one was cinnamon pied and the other a normal green pied bird , would the results be a possible 50% cinnamon pied and 50% green pied???? thanx
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject:

That depends on which of the parents is Cinnamon.
Cinnamon pied male x green pied female. All females will be Cinnamon pied. The males green pied.
Cinnamon pied female x green pied male. All youngsters will be green pied. The males will be split to Cinnamon.
danielsoar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject:

So could you tell me what a Female Lutino x Male Cinnamon would yeild?

What about a Female Lutine x Male Cinnamon Pied?

Is there a chart of which genes are tied to sex/which ones are recessive etc?

Thanks!
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject:

danielsoar wrote:
So could you tell me what a Female Lutino x Male Cinnamon would yeild?

I can be wrong but it seems that the true lutino mutation doesn't excist yet. From my breeding results it looks like that what we call lutino is actually the combination of cinnamon and fallow.

So, your pair must be female cinnamon fallow x male cinnamon. All youngsters will be cinnamon split to fallow. Unless the male is also split to fallow then 50% will be (pseudo-)lutino.
danielsoar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject:

Thanks heaps for the quick reply. We are unsure at this stage if the male is cini pied. I cannot tell if he is pure cinnamon or not. I will post a photo later, but if he was pied how would that mix things up.

How can I tell if the female is cinnamonxfallow, what are the other combinations? She is completley bright (not pale) yellow with red band over her eyes and forehead with red dots over the top of her hips.

Very exciting for us, beautiful looking bird!
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject:

danielsoar wrote:
How can I tell if the female is cinnamonxfallow, what are the other combinations?

That is not easy to tell. Only by the way of further breeding results you can determine the genetic set up.
Another possibility is to pair the lutino female to a normal. Theoretically all male youngsters will be split to cinnamon and fallow. When you pair them back to the mother then there should be lutino's, fallow's and cinnamon's. The fallow then confirms the theory.
danielsoar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Care to have a look at my bird pics and tell me what you think?

I have looked at the
http://www.kakariki.nl/mutaties%20en%20oogkleur/emutaties%20en%20oogkleur.html
Site and still cant figure out which set of eyes best matches our yellow hen.

Also what do you think of our cock, cinni or fallow? Do the tail feathers being yellow count as being a pied bird?

If pied, is this recessive or dominant and how did you tell?

I am still getting my head around all the markings and terminologies but I am very interested!

Thanks for your help...

Dan

http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc404/danielsoar/Kakarikis%20Sep%202010/
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject:

A side note here..off subject...looking at your picks, you have wire/mesh floors...We dont, even in isolation/hospital cages.
Unlike most birds, Kakariki spend a lot of the time on the forest floor...When we where in Aussie we saw very nice avairies /flights all had wire mesh floors...This was a top rate professional set I was very envious of in a backyard.
But what both my wife and I noticed , well stood out is the kakariki did not perch walk or climb like ours do...they hold their feet different /awakward like....and was very apparent because of no flat ground in the bottom.
As an owner I doubt they would ever notice cause thats what all their kakariki are like. When asked on the flight back to NZ what stood out on the week holiday...the drive way out into the desert then seeing water depth gauges, warning of flooding, with water marks higher than the car... and the mesh in the flights.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject:

Hi Dan,

The hen is definitely a (pseudo-)lutino. The male is a dominant pied cinnamon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: