Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Will these eggs be fertile
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Will these eggs be fertile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
4/Dont handle the chicks or eggs.

Yes kakariki are very tollerant to interferance. but chicks are very delicate, a female getting a fright when opening a box, moving chicks when its suddenly gone from dark to light, temp blindness....bit of scrambling step on chicks etc...none of that helps.

I have lost a few eggs and the odd chick over the years due to what I think was a 'karate kick' of the female.
So I second your thought.

With other species it's maybe safe to check the nests, like cockatiels, with kakariki, hens usually move around and can hurt the chicks.

Culling... top advice.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
with kakariki, hens usually move around and can hurt the chicks.

As meantioned in old threads we have CCTVed a nest....yep the hen and males move around a lot and both are very carefull.
When we inspect, (light tapping on the nesting box, then slowly lift the lid) the hens dont move off eggs or off chicks, and can sometimes take quite a sefensive stance....If opened more quick, the hen moves quite abruptly, often destrurbing eggs /chicks, step on them.

If one wants to 'play' with chicks, use a boot type nesting box where the parents can freely move away from chicks rather than around them.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject:

When i check on AJ & chicks i always talk to her so she knows im there and then i do tap on the box and always slowly open the lid while still talking to her. Only once has she "screeched" and that was with her 1st clutch. The only time i go into the nest box was to remove the dead chicks which had been moved away to the sides. I havent PLAYED or touch the living chicks. I will let nature take its course regaurding the smallest chick. The only time i have interviend with any chicks is with my Zebbies. Recently i found a chick on the floor which i thought was dead. I picked it up and it was still alive. I brought it in the house to warm it up and then replaced it back into the nest. The parents fed the chick and now it has left the nest.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject:

hi!

sorry I didn't mean to point fingers at you meaning that you messed with the chicks, I think Steps and I said it as general advice.
If I see a chick out of a nest I would replace it back that's I think ok, it could fall for any reason, what I mean is not saving birds that you think are not looking 100% healthy and growing well.

Meanwhile.... good luck!
(keep us updated about the outcome of the clutch)

Cheers / Pablo

456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject:

Hi Pablo. I Didnt mean to rude sorry. The only chicks i do handle are my zebra finches as their parents are that laid back. Zebbies put that much material in their nest the chicks sometimes fall out Laughing . Although AJ ( kaki) is very friendly i respect that some birds would leave their chicks if they can sense that a human has touched them. Ive checked on the chicks today and both were alert and moving about. The smallest can now hold its head up and its eyes are open. Its surprising how quick the feathers are growing. Roughly what age do they start colouring up?. Any idea's of what the colours could be, the parent are the one's in my avator.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
sorry I didn't mean to point fingers at you meaning that you messed with the chicks, I think Steps and I said it as general advice.

Very often we post general comments on the subject...What is on the back of our mind is these forums and data in them are very often used as reference by visitors and those doing a seach for info.
Comments are very often dont always directed at anyone in partular

Quote:
I Didnt mean to rude sorry.

I missed something there....I cant find the part where u are being rude d'oh!

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject:

The eldest/biggest chick is now 23 days old. Both are getting their feathers and are both dark green, Just like their dad Sarah. Sorry if a little blured. I think there is at least a weeks age differance between them.

k1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.71 KB
 Viewed:  78 Time(s)

k1.jpg

Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject:

Aw! Arent they just gorgeous little fluff balls! angel
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject:

thx for sharing the pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: