Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - hospital cage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

hospital cage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: hospital cage

Hi all,
Sadly my best boy had afreek acident today and altho everything (but culling-sorry steps, i just haent the confidence) ha been done to mke him comfortable i fear something is amiss and we are losng him..

..for future ref, is there any better MADE suggestions for designing a hospital cage for ease cleanliness and comfort for our kakariki's?
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject:

What? duno
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject:

Sorry, but after reading that again-
All I can say is-
If the poor thing is that bad, put it to sleep. Please.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject:

Hospital cage...
I have seen several people use show-cages and place a light bulb nearby so that the bird can be kept warm.

A water tube attached in the front and a small bowl with food, that's all they need.

About the freak accident, wait for a couple of hours. Once a cockatiel crashed against a glass. I thought she died. She fell legs up in the floor, around 50cm? away from the glass.
She eventually woke up and she looked really in pain, it was my first cockatiel 5 yrs ago so I didn't know what to do other than taking her to the vet. He told me to give her antibiotic.
She didn't look too good, but in a couple of days she made an spectacular improvement and in 1 month you could not tell the bird had an accident, she was flying etc... perfectly and she was really friendly.

Also my gf's budgie had an accident. They were playing cards and he is very jealous about my gf's father. Grandma has the habit of punching the table when having a winner card, and on one of the punches smashed the poor little fella.
He took more than a month to be in good shape again but he's a happy fella right now. He has some stuff like not having perfect vision from one eye and sometimes he can't calculate distances well when flying, but other than that... he's very lively and active, a big time chatterbox, and still has lots of attitude.
I think it's still less than 1 year since he had the accident.

Of course if he wasn't able to fly or he had obvious neural damage like and was in a pitiful state we would put him away.

So I think... if it's an accident sometimes it's worth waiting for a couple of days, or at least that's my opinion.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject:

moko i appreciate the alarm, and i TOTALLY agree, i have been ringing around every avian vet in nd out of areas..and i am disgusted how few there are, the general practices will not even entertain him to put him to sleep!!!
wall three dont work mondays wall wall and te other two cant get in and wont see him when they do eventually due to being in surgery...

Pablo i have made a mkeshift cage ith heat lamp and pad and m currently seringing wter to him..my back is against the wall, if i had the know how nd confidence to do as steps does I wld, jus to stop his prolonged sufering even tho it cld be posssible to save him..the time element between mkig him comfortable and the ONLY appointment i cld get whch is miles away is killing us both.

his is my ALfa and my boy, ....
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: update..

ok, we've just returned fronm vet,
He's been checked and seems to think no broken bones..however he is severly disorientated ,so much so that he is completely helpless.
vet reckons heavily concussed. will give him another 12 hours watch.
antiinflamatory was injected so all i can do is what i am.

other conclusion is brain damage , yet the vet agrees he's right eyed and aware of where to bite

Wink

here's hoping he finds the strength to lift his head and find his feet-atleast..
thanks for replying Anxious
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject:

give him another 24-48hr and if you don't see any sign of improvement maybe it's time to let him sleep.

By the way, a couple of months ago I found a kakariki in the floor of the aviary, very weak, with the irises turned white. I took her home and after a small recovery she eventually got worse and died 3 days later. Her iris never became red again.
Her pupils were reactive and everything, but I was curious about this white iris.
I wonder if it's a sign of stroke or something like that.

Also last year I found a young kakariki (6 months old) dropped dead in the floor. Probably my best and favorite male. When I found him he was still very warm so I came to the conclusion it had to be something sudden like a heart attack or a stroke.
When I have found the random bird really sick usually they were quite cold even if still alive.

I don't mean to be evil or gut-less with these comments, hope not to be offensive, but maybe if you make a comment about the iris and body temperature when you feel better all of us would appreciate, so next time a guy has a similar situation can take a better course of action.

And believe me although I have been keeping birds for 5 yrs and you find the odd bird dead once in a while, I still didn't get used to it. I try to think... 'well... it's the law of nature, some live, some die' but still don't take it well.

Cheers / Pablo

Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject:

Sorry, that didnt mean to sound so harsh-
I do hope he gets better.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
my back is against the wall, if i had the know how nd confidence to do as steps does I wld

It is all about loving your pets....
1st make a hot cuppa tea.
The doing...when comes to birds very snall pets...a heavy set of good sharp sissors....put gentle in place, hold the body firm, close your eyes, a good solid snip, you dont mess around, a solid snip with more force than you think...you dont want the animal to suffer more
keep your eyes closed untill the body stops moving....drop in the prepared hole...quickly cover over...
Then sit down be upste and take your time over the cuppa tea.

Supprisingly yopu will not be upset over what you have done, but rather upset over loosing your pet, which would have happened even if the vet put it down.

What I cant understand, is how a person can watch an animal suffer and not do anything about it...
Also what I cant understand is how a person can take pleasure i watching an animal suffer

At the end of the day both of the above is no different from the animals point of veiw.
Love is about understanding and caring about the others piont of veiw/feelings....its not selfish...putting ones own feelings 1st.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject:

event: neck caught in top of door, disorientated hit the concrete floor (quite a height)

cld stand imediately but no wing movement.
cld perch that evening but head dropped considerably

VET: no bones apparently broken, heavily disorientated
cant stand no grip cant lift head but can turn rolls..

(I know this sounds so distressing..More so for him..)

currently bright eyed aware of me and who i am , still eating and drinking( tho not possible for himself)
Feeling in feet, curled one , tries some strength in leg..rolls round...nice and warm.

conclusion: no improvement but appetite , clear dark eyes ,awake and trying to move about..

I am currently awaiting vets advice if he shld wait recovery afew more hours or save him the indignity ..

believe me, i wldnt wish him to suffer and WILL do whats needed

ps
Thnkyou so much for all ur comments ,all very valid and understood :)
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject:

btw Pablo, i did consider a stroke, he doesn'r cry out or anything even when being moved , but i had no responce from vet when mentioned..?
in which case wld put him to sleep as this is no life for him..
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject:

No broken bones right
Now applly those symtoms to you....I think it would maybe be a dislocated disc, or sever bruising to spinal nerves.
A lot of discomfort, and frustration....and with fingers crossed could very well revover over several weeks.
If not, perminate damage to the spinal cord and or the nevers coming off.

If it was my pet, I would do as you are doing so now, keeping a close watch on body language, If a avaray bird I would put down.
I would also be pshycing myself up to the the big dede....If revovers releif, if not you are in the right frame to do so.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject:

to conclude:

He was able to lift his chest and feed ravinously, and was moving himself about frequenlty, so much so, he was like havng a baby on the move ,we had to keep putting him back in his nest every 5 mins Wink

the vet seemed to think he had a chance and prescribed a ( not authorised) pain killer to which i only gave him bearly a bead of a drop..

Sadly, my feller had removed himself from nest early hours and passed away..particularly cold night.
Crying or Very sad

I believe there cld have been damaged nerve Steps,and today wld have been a yes r no day if the meds had affected him with a sideaffect.

I will miss my alpha terribly,as we al do, but i hope he's sauring the skies with relief..
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:

M8 sry to hear.
When I lost my sulphur crested (Sam) yrs ago to teflon pisoning...
He wasnt just a house parrot..he went to the pub, beach, parties rode on the motobike handle bars, restrants....
I know where you are at.
Steps

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Hey loob sorry about your birdie.
There is indeed the random aviary bird that you have a preference for, I do.

Cheers! / Pablo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: