Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - handrearing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

handrearing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: handrearing

hi everyone

after past mistakes in breading a pair which were too young i dicided it was time for change!.... so i bought another pair which weren't.
flight finished and fully prepared we gave it a go, and within a month "baby"
was sittin nine eggs and boy she sat them tight!
about 14 days into incubation i bobbed my head in flight and noticed a deffinate change in behaivoir???
that night i found my concerns were due she had just stopped sitting them i waited and waited but no return. the birds were left all the way to themselves
she is a tiny hen smallest iv'e seen maybe she couldn't incubate them all properly i just dont know??
at this point i remembered i had an incubator from when i bred quails so at 2am i set about trying to save the clutch.. 7 days later 1 hatched Anxious
hand feeding is going well "a bit daunting at first but very rewarding once u see them building strength"
there were only 3 eggs which made being abandoned the other is due any day now and i'm not sure about the other.
please believe me thou this is very demanding work and not advisable im on the sofa for the first couple of days, this will take up all my time and effort but if i can save 1 it's worth it.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject:

There is no issue breeding young so long as they have been raised on good consistant diet.
Often 1st time round the hen can be either spot on or abandon eggs for no reason.
Kakariki make great surrigant parents, even raising a king parrot much bigger...one can swap eggs and chicks between experianced hens, and use single males in another flight to wean.

The size of the hen really means nothing, we have one of our top breeding hens, tiny little thing, produces 5 batches a yr till we stop her, produces consistant 6 or 7 chicks every batch and huge off sring, females and males, often much larger than dad who is a big bird anyway.

one other female we have has a tenacy to go to nest but leaves the nest for long periods, to the extent we are sure she has gone off sitting, then produce 5 or 6 chicks regular as clock work...but during the day, you are talking at night?
I would be suspecting mice or something disturbing things.
Kakariki do not feed chicks during darkness, they will wake up roll eggs but generally sleep very sound all night
We have had CCTV in a nesting box.

There is a very good chance that if you put the chicks back in the nesting box mum or dad, most prob dad will take over caring/feeding.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject:

the dad is the same bird which killed the quails so would that be wise???
would be a godsend as im knackered ... every 2 hours last night but it's really coming on.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject:

I suggest the males is the issue.
Normal behavour is if anything happens to the hen the dad will take over raising
If anything happens to the hen the hen will continue....
I would not be suprised, and never tried this....If there was another single mature hen or male and something happened to both parent, they could take over
One can take chicks out of a nest for several days, put them back and the paants continue as if nothing happened
One can move home 100 miles, trap the parants, chicks , eggs in a nesting box, dismantle the avairy, transport to new location, reassemble the avairy, hang the nesting box up, un block the hole, and they will carry on as normal.
Quote:
would be a godsend as im knackered ... every 2 hours last night but it's really coming on.

I have never hand reared a bird..keep that in mind.
Thu as I mentioned somewhere else we had CCTV cameras in a nesting box from before they laid to chicks getting adult feathers.
We never observed the chicks being feed after dusk, thu big feeds before settling down for the night...
This I have often wondere about because everything I have read, talked to with breeders who are very highly experianced and I have a lot of respect for, all say they should be feed thru the night up to x amount of days or weeks...

If was me...and prepared to maybe loose the chicks but gain experiance...which is the gamble I would take.
I would get rid of the dad mid afternoon, watch the female if she goes back or interested in the nest...even if doesnt, would next morning 1/2 feed the chicks, the put them in the nesting box, and monitor that evening if they have a full crop... and gain mid morning next day.
I recon the female will hear the chicks and carry on raising them ????
I would be very interested to know what happens

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject:

hi steptoe
firstly feeding thru the nite was only for the first few days little fellow is doing 6 hours thru nite now guy at petshop " really good one kno's what he's on about" said the same as your friends with regards to night feeding .
im also really interested in seeing if mom will take chick back as i had a chick die earlier this year "your guess was too much interfearance" so i would like to see what my boundries are as im still not too sure e.g how often i check on them and also on handling the young. was hard this last time as i just left them to it but couldn't track their process properly... some advice wud be great.
now the hen is gonna be due with her second batch anytime soon am i better off waitin till after to reintroduce the chick and remove the second clutch??
as she will be on her own!! she may want to sit eggs otherwise?
plus this will allow the chick to build it's strength up even more.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
now the hen is gonna be due with her second batch anytime soon am i better off waitin till after to reintroduce the chick and remove the second clutch??

She will not start to get ready for the 2nd batch till the 1st are well into adult feathers....and still needs a male to m8.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:

hi steptoe

had a go yesterday morn with no sucsess but she did show a little curiosity.... so i waited untill night time to see if it made any difference ... so i stayed up so i could peak in every hour and keep an eye on her and she went in and out of box a few time and then stayed in .. sucsess or so i thought checked first thing in the morn and it was on deaths door its bin very weak all day but is showing improvement ... do i try again later or try another hen which is sat idle obviously when its built its strength up??

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:

I would say "didnt work"
I would carry on hand feeding.
by the time the next lot hatch that one is going to be to old to put back in.
We have found, and orginally from Peters advice...when getting to weaning putting in with a couple single males, they do so within minites .

If you have another hen with a batch of chicks near to the same age, dropping a extra chick or couple, has never been an issue.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject:

Hi Bruce. Can you tell me what product and items have you used whilst hand rearing your chick.
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject:

yeah ive got my brooder with temp gaige i chose to use kitchen towel for bedding ... for feeding i use a 1ml syringe " i have the spoon with bent up edges but find other better" .... other equipment is a microwave steriliser, thermometer , 2/5 to 5 ml spoons for measureing food, cotton wool balls and buds for cleaning our lass works at a nursing home which is conveniant as get all the gloves and sterile equipment free Laughing
oh yes also i nearly forgot i was advised to buy germaline new skin as a safeguard against any bleeding... turned out to be great advise as the chick was bleeding from it's claw one morning it was quite weak aswell... the stuff worked a treat and then fell away when it did its job ..watch out for this as it can be quite common when rearing and if it happens at night the chick could easily bleed to death

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject:

Thats great advice Bruce thanks. What food did you use?
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject:

hagen tropican baby hand feeding formula only a 5er from capricorn connections in osset wakefield whether this is the best i really dont know
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject:

Would you like to make new thread
laying out equipment, tools, scedules maybe a couple picks if feeding etc
even personal comments like that one re how
If you have any issues uploading pics just email to me and I will post nps

There is very little or anything re handfraring kakariki,
Usually when a person who is doing for the 1st time writes something like this ....people who read it and need to know for the 1st time relate/understand well

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject:

sound like something i could get my teeth into great idea thanks steptoe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Weaning

Hi All,

Guys I've been hand feeding a pair of Kaks from they where 3 weeks old they are now 5 weeks. They are doing well and have been putting weight on daily. I noticed them starting to pick at things yesterday so assumed they may be ready for weaning. I placed some diced fruit veg and a little seed in with them which they do pick at. My worry is that they have lost a little weight today and don't seem as interested in the formula I've been feeding them. Is this usual during weaning. I believe they will lose a bit of weight to allow for flight but is this a little too soon for that.

Thanks for any advice guys....... I no doubt will be back for more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: