Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - kak ate quails head!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

kak ate quails head!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: kak ate quails head!!!

hi everyone
one of my male kaks has killed 2 of my quails and ate their heads what the hell is going on ???? i caught him in the process of eatin the second quails head i mean is this stuff normal and y haven't i heard of this??? the other kaks were all perched together watching in disgust and once he approached his mate she really shunned him!! anyone got a clue duno

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject:

We have kept quail bob and japense for many yrs with kakariki crimson wing, kings , turqs cocteils...never had an issue except for 1 male in a smaller flight who intiminated them....We assumed because they where to close to the nesting box
This also happened when we had burkes nesting in that flight

That the closest we have ever had any issues.

As to eating their heads...we have had kakariki quail die and never had anything like that...But we do feed protein in the form of chopped cooked left over steak, chops, chicken carcass...
kakariki have been reported in the wild feeding on carrian and dead fish on beachs...they do have a high protein content in their diet in the wild...could he be lacking in diet?
As to killing or intimidating ..unless other birds get too close to the nest never heard of it.

Once in a while one does get a rogue kakariki, like in any species...these tend to be a bit screwed in the head and will attack damn near anything.. when we have had one its always been a single male and will pick on only 1 or 2 birds in a flock....as to killing...bloody agressive but they have been culled before any serious....and they have never attacked a quail.
This doesnt mean they would not have done so.

All of the rogue kakariki we have had have been from other sources not breed from us...and we dont want these tendences in our breeding stock lines.....like blue budgies, they can be pretty mean at times.

Hmm thinking, our quail will fligh up at night to get to ledges to roost...maybe the quail where trying to???

I would at a gess suggest it is not a single issue I meantion above but maybe a combination of more than one???

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Are you sure it wasn't a stoat. Stoats usually consume only the head.
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject:

A small rectification. I meant the 'Least Weasel'. He is from the same family as the stoat but slightly smaller. Least Weasels tend to eat the head only.
Kakariki don't kill other birds to eat them and certainly not the head. If Kakariki does a violent peck it is always pointed at the back.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject:

Are stoats weasels a reasonabky common issue around avaries in Europe?
They are an issue in the bush but have never known them to be an issue in towns here...Rats yes
Are you sure it was not a staot weasel rat what ever and it not the alpha male happened to go down 'inspecting; and the rest sitting up watching...
In an espablished flock, no one moves eats or 'sneezes without the approval of the Alpha male....usually with a chrip and a foot on the back

A rogue bird (disvcuseed this last nigh with another breeder who has seen it) will be all out visious, killing other birds kakariki, this is usually done by attacking mid air feet out like a hawk. Once it has done substantual damage, manages to get the target into a cnr on the ground, will attack at the head with the beak....once the bird is dead they will play with it for a while.
It maybe ok for a few days, then it will pick on another bird.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject:

it's a indoor flight newly built , i have a south facing window and extra full spectrum reptile lights for those dull days , no entry points either he was eating the head when i came across it n yes steptoe he was always chasing them about but nothing serious
i just remembered seeing the term kaks will be kaks alot and thought little of it!! we live and learn ... do u advise culling this bird he came from a family home not an aviery maybe he's taken on board the human characteristic of exterminating every living thing around it!!!

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject:

domestic cats and rats are the biggest problem oh and the odd fox encounter but i wont have that problem for a year while the outside aviery's are ready!! not looking forward to falling out with next door .. she has loads of cats which will be treading dangerous ground next year Twisted Evil
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
it's a indoor flight newly built

That puts a different perspective on things....

Quote:
n yes steptoe he was always chasing them about but nothing serious

That description is not general kakariki behour....and behavour of a rorgue.
A rogue can vary as to the trempriment of the bird from chassing around to all out attack.
Did it tend to chass the same 1 or 2 birds only? this is the tendency of a rogue.....And it is possible that he would be quite ok with a couple others..NPs put him in with some others and he takes a dislike to on or 2 and does it again
Take the opportunty to get some experiance at this stage, pull him out and put in a cage for a week....put him back and watch close...the chances are he will do it again....
Quote:
do u advise culling this bird he came from a family home not an aviery maybe he's taken on board the human characteristic

At the end of the day...yes on all counts.. human characterist , I would suggest more the bird has been teased . abused, mis treated...the result is not just a human thing, it applies to all animals.

I like to enjoy our birds...that means avairies/ flights dont have this sort of crap/ violence taking place, because they are stressed and I have something I dont like on the back of my mind which interfers with my selfish attitude to enjoy watching interacting with my birds.

A normal kakariki (unless going to nest and becomes terroitorial) at most will jibber and curse the other bird vocally and or put his foot on their back the push them...and maybe a ting little more when the roost in the evenings...a younger bird will always try it on to move the the pecking order and get growled at

Do you have nesting boxes in their?
Do you have more than enough perches at different height for them to roost on...pecking order.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject:

i agree it started with just the hen quail at first more like bullying and then became more frequent hate the idea of culling him tho isn't there any other use to him maybe a pet for a friend i'd quite happily supply a nice cage and give him away after all it's not his fault we mention human characteristics i kno im my country and yours we say no to the death penalty no matter what the crime "just a thought other wise cccrrreeekkkkk" no seriously tho is there any other way.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
after all it's not his fault we mention human characteristics i kno im my country and yours we say no to the death penalty no matter what the crime

Doesntmean i agree with all my countries legistation.
Keep in mind We have now, a doz polus weaned so far this yr, approx another 18 chicks in boxes, about 10 pair parrots sitting. Time to mess around with rogue birds or have the space to do so...nope.
We produce big healthy birds, anything defective we do what nature will do anyway

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject:

Hi,

back then when I didn't feed enough protein it was really common if there was any dead body in the aviary kakariki wouldn't take long to start to deal with it.
Once I spent 3 days without visiting the aviaries and when I arrived I found a lineolated parrot (or whatever was left) in a really sad state.
The other times the body was just a bit plucked, but this time... it was not nice to see, and I doubt it was mice.

But I don't think I never had a kakariki kill any other bird, I even bred kakariki + cockatiels in relatively small aviaries (2x1x1,80) and never had an issue other than a kakariki 'cursing' as Steptoe says.

The only situation I haven't tested so far is breeding with several kakariki pairs in the same aviary but I don't really see the point of doing so, I have the experience of several other guys and it's a sure fail unless you have a huge aviary and nests are well separated.

Overall I have found kakariki to be surprisingly more peaceful than cockatiels. Cockatiels aren't vicious but they have a lot of bickering, they will start beak-wrestling for any reason, and they even bully the plumheads if they have something the cockatiels want (peanut, millet spray, herbs).
Even when I need to catch the birds, kakariki when they bite usually they just make some pressure, cockatiels... I have had several nasty bites, most of them will look around and twist their heads big time to get to bite your finger or fingernail.
My grandpa used to laugh at me until one day he had a sampler of a cockatiel bite, he confessed... "my desire was to snap his neck", he has thick, weathered skin (working all his life in the fields).

Kakariki killing another bird sounds possible, but I think it's a rare ocurrence and probably it's a bird with problems (screwed in the head signlol ). Same as birds that have a habit of plucking feathers and stuff.

There are worse species like lovebirds, budgies (colony breeding), rosellas/platycercus, and other birds. Probably the most vicious is the red rump, I have seen a male in action bullying a pair of eastern rosellas in an aviary so I believe they are capable of anything hehe.
From what I have been told cockatoos and vasa parrots can also get out of their mind when breeding and kill the partners.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject:

Just a thought...you didnt have 2 male bob whites in there....that can cause issues....generally one can only tell the diff between sexes by physical examination and even that needs someone who knows what to look for.
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject:

no was a pair of button quails the kak was always bullying em about. really dont kno wat happened i kno he aint no good for breading now but other than this insident he's fine ... with me and other kaks.
our lasses gran jus bin widowed n i was wondering if he'd be still alright as company for her ???? live his life away from other birds.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Give it a go....male birds (most pets) tend to make better companions for ladies and visa a versa.
Thu be aware he could get a bit agreesive/posseive if your Gran has male visitors signlol

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject:

Shocked what do u mean male visitors throup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: