Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Baraband keepers out there?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Baraband keepers out there?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliehsd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Thank you both for all the great info, its has been hard fining out anything on the Bara bands so this site has been so good. I get my Birds this Saturday and im so excited, they are amazing looking birds. I have spent Hr upon Hr reading as much as I can on them but as I said it has been hard finding out info. I don’t agree on getting a bird without knowing what you getting, I’m no expert on the breed by any means but I think having as much info as I can help's a lot. I do have them a nice big flight that is all set up and ready for them which I think they will love. Now when it comes to toys and stuff what kind should I get them?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject:

This site is about kakariki....
But in saying that, damn neart everything thing also applies to most other parrot species....we have applied the same principles in care to all our species.
Same diet, care etc...some of the other species tend to eat different ratiosa of veggie to seed to fruit to meat and bones etc.
EG burkes and Turqs are grass parrots, more from a desert enviroment eat more seed.
Much would be termed as a bit "radical" by many parrot breeders, but those who have gone down this route certainly have had far lower vet bills, less 'defective ' chicks, better fertilty and bigger brighter birds, and dropped aftermarket synthetic 'additives'

I mentioned Kings as a pet way back...we now have a couple just weaned avalible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
Quote:
which gives him a slightly swollen red weepy eye but strangley only when he his diet has been lacking loads of fruit & veges also its never been passed onto any of my other birds

With all due respect "Strangley" ???
A consistant , balanced diet is the responsablity of any pet owner, and without that immune systems, fertility, and damn near every issue can be prevented in capative birds.
Or put the other way...99% of issues in captive birds are caused bu poor inconsistant diet...and are a great souce of income for vets...and our doctors.
Quote:

(we think him being handtame in the past hasnt helped)

Sry I do not go along with that old wives tail either...
It is not uncommon for hand tamed birds to get crap diet...even so it is not uncommon for hand tamed birds to be so screwed up pscologly by the owners turning them into some they are not...hand tame doesnt mean they have to loose their natural instincts and behavoural patterns.
Basically its not the hand taming, it is poor diet, junk food and mental abuse often dished out.....we b reed many hand tame birds, not just kakariki...in fact most of our bredding birds are hand tame.

Quote:
, they also love sweetcorn in any form (but do limit it for treats as its highly fattening).

Another old wives tail....you eat a lot of sweet corn you will not get fat...you eat a lot of sweet corn /carbs PLUS a lot of sugars..be it refined or high sugar content fruit juices and fruit...you will get fat very quick.
Its the sugars NOT the carbs or natural fats.

To illustrate this..go out in the back yard..check out how ripe the fruit is the birds get into....any person who has friut trees will complain that the birds get into the fruit "just before it is ready to eat" or put another way, just before the sugars rise.

If one watches birds go after nector in flowers...is it the nector with a lot of sugar or nector where the sugar has verminted into alocohol and acedic acid.....the Tui phenomenar of getting 'drunk ' on flax flowers for instance.
The wide spread use we make of vinigar (cleaning) and apple cider vinegar in the diet.

Im not pointing these thing out personally to you...but rather the 'common belief of old wives tails and semi truth built up over generations, and passed down with little research and back ground just keep[ on hanging around
U really want to see the reactions when I give a lecture at a bird club on keeping and care of kakariki.....and the emails I get in the following months when they have tried a lot of what I have said.

Cheers
Steps

PS
Purplegoanna
I see you are a JAFA also If intersted you are w3c to come out here for a coffee sometime.
I THINK you may work within a couple miles of us???

Well for your info my birds are all fed a awesome varied diet or fruit, veges, seed and pellets unless im away, for no longer than 2weeks and my pet sitter only tops up their seed, to make sly digs in your comment “A consistant , balanced diet is the responsablity of any pet owner” ask anyone whos met me or my birds and you will find out that mine are very well cared for. As for “damn near every issue can be prevented in capative birds.” He came to me in this condition from someone who knew no better and assumed he banged his eye on a stick! It was myself who did the research, asked the questions, put a name to the problem and has tried a few of the various treatments, am I going to put my bird thru 6weeks of hell being injected and kept in a small cage where he will fret with possibly no positive outcome sorry NO I wont.
As for him being handtame, it was a passing comment form his previous seller and he shows more interest in humans than any of the hens hes been with, I handraise quality birds myself and they’re definitely not fed a ‘crap diet’ as you put nor do I ‘screw them up’! He has shown NO breeding interest what so eva and has been given every environmental element possible to make him happy, all my birds are, Ive found your post a personal attack and wouldn’t visit you ever, if this is how you respond to all your forum members I don’t wish to be apart of it, I was warned a similar outcome would happen but didn’t listen, lesson learned I suppose. As for visiting! I choose my friends wisely and youd be at the bottom of my list!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Im not pointing these thing out personally to you...

I was hoping you would have seen that.... d'oh!

You , like me see too damn often...even so called long term 'respected ; birds keepers dont keep anywhere as well as they should... birds pets in a manner they never should be.

Im sorry you did not see that comment, and have taken it personally.
I have never seen you avairies, or birds...It would be therefore be wrong, and impossible to make any sort of personal judgement against you.

Quote:
As for him being handtame, it was a passing comment form his previous seller and he shows more interest in humans than any of the hens hes been with,

Which is very much what my comment is above and tend to agree on
Quote:
It is not uncommon for hand tamed birds to get crap diet...even so it is not uncommon for hand tamed birds to be so screwed up pscologly by the owners turning them into some they are not...hand tame doesnt mean they have to loose their natural instincts and behavoural patterns.

Quote:
He came to me in this condition from someone who knew no better and assumed he banged his eye on a stick! It was myself who did the research, asked the questions, put a name to the problem and has tried a few of the various treatments, am I going to put my bird thru 6weeks of hell being injected and kept in a small cage where he will fret with possibly no positive outcome sorry NO I wont.

Yes I very mucjh agree with you, we to have had to bring very abused back to health....it is heart breaking some time the condition they can be in.

Again I think you have very much mis read the intention of my post, It was not intewnded as a discription of how you care for your birds or intended as a reference or personal attack on yourself.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Julie,

I'm very happy for you about getting your pair of barrabands, I hope you enjoy them as much as many other owners.
Indeed they are on my 'favorites' list, over here in Spain they aren't very popular, but have a few colleagues in Portugal that keep them and they are very pleased to have them in the collection.

About toys, over the years I have found out the best toy for our birds is a fresh branch (eucalyptus, willow, most fruit trees, etc..) , properly washed and sprayed with 50/50 vinegar/water solution.
Try to get it from somewhere safe, where you know chemicals and pesticides have not been used.
Also branches or leaves of aromatic herbs will keep them busy.

Don't be afraid to ask around here as there are several breeders that keep or have kept barrabands and similar species and everybody will be happy to share advice.

Purplegoanna

I can't read your first posts, so I can't really understand how the issue has started, but I must say you don't give a good impression when some other forum member and hobby colleague invites you for a visit and you reject it like that.
And honestly most of your reply/reaction isn't very constructive neither.

Quote:
if this is how you respond to all your forum members

Steps has the 'bad habit' of not being politically correct, and sometimes people mistake it with a 'personal attack'. And he's also not shy of giving constructive (but at the same time assertive) advice to those that might be (or seem) a bit cranky/lazy/disoriented.

What species do you keep/handraise yourself?

And I would be keen on knowing what do you actually feed your birds. I also thought I was giving them a top notch diet, only to find out later that I was actually far off the mark.
Unfortunately there are too many old habits and OWT's, despite our best intentions.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
juliehsd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject:

pabloc

Thank you so much on the tip on the branches, I would never have known that. I will look tomorrow for a good safe source for them. I actually got to pick them up this morning, a day earlier than expected. They are just gorgeous and the male is just so amazing looking. He is starting to warm up to me and keep’s coming to the front for me to rub his beak and head. He is also bouncing his head at me, I must look like a Hugh hen to him ha-ha d'oh! . The Hen well she is much more shy and is just content being on her perch looking at me but she is curious. I’m not going to push it as they are still adjusting to new surrounding and there new home. Its nice having this site to come to as Barrabands are not easy to find here either. So there is no site like this either so thank you everyone for all you help and Advice.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Went visiting today to a Barraband/superb breeders find out more..
As many know we also have kings and crimsons.....
Barraband are certainly at the top of the list as a future brred for us.
Good nature sort of 1/2 way between a lorrie and a king, easy to breed..mix well with other parrots and suprisingly , easier than kings and crimsoms to breed, and ideal, like kings as a house parrot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Is there some place to find what is the best fruit and veggies for them?? I dont want to just mix this and that and not give them 100% what they need and what is best
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject:

If you treat barrabands like kakariki, which we do with all our parrot species you will be fine
To the left is a "quick search " block
From memory a thread something like "what do you feed you kakariki"
from 5 or 6 yrs ago... long thread good info from lots very experianced people sharing info.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject:

Steps,

that summary about barrabands... it's very tempting :)

By the way, kings and red wings have a reputation of not being very prolific breeders in the South of Europe, although having a chat a few weeks ago with a Portuguese breeder he told me that in his opinion the problem is that most birds kept here are imported from Holland, Belgium, etc... and they aren't as hardy as other birds, thus they don't adapt that well.

Anybody has experience with regent (rock peppler)?
Differences in character, breeding results, etc... with the other politelys?

Kevin (Cattscapes) told me some time ago that princess are very nice birds but very susceptible to worms.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
By the way, kings and red wings have a reputation of not being very prolific breeders

They tend to lay upto, 2 batches of 4 eggs per season,....
And rem my theory about not eggs ment to hatch...hotwater bottles....
2 chicks per batch.
Which accounts for them being a littlew more expensive than superbs etc.
They can be tricky to go to nest intailly
1/ The female must accept the male...the male may still chasse her to the nest...and she may still lay...but doesnt meaqn she has accepted her
No matter how long, how many yrs, if the female doesnt accept the male...she will never do so.....so a swap birds and re pair with another breeder.
2/Gum tree wood chips bark, branches are esentual stimulant to make them go to nest, months before the breeding season
3/ Try several tpyes of nesting boxes...open top (only thing that works for our kings......closed top with entry tube on a lean, the only thing that works with the crimson.
4/Like kakariki good consistant healthy diet...

Quote:
he told me that in his opinion the problem is that most birds kept here are imported from Holland, Belgium, etc... and they aren't as hardy as other birds, thus they don't adapt that well

No I do not beloeve that at all...too many times we and another breeder friend have taken birds..just will not breed, 6 months good diet, understand their wild envoriment ..bang breeding....
And not hardy....load of rubbish...

I do believe crimsons and kings are very suspetable to a couple generations of hand raising and they loose the plot as parents...the male can become agreesive to other male chicks once adlut feathers start to form and during weaning time......we have often seen such posts about similar behavour in kakariki over the yrs...hand raising the issue there to??

Once on gets the above right, a pair will raise chicks consistanly yr after yr for a decade plus.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:

My male has been dancing around today with his head bouncing up and down he is trying to get her to notice him and she just does not care. I think its to early in the season.. I did find out 1 things today He talks Applause Applause He says pretty boy, what you doing & come here.. That was a big surpise that all a sudden he started talking and the lady didnt even tell me he talks <v>
juliehsd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject:

Update:

Well the female is really making a home of her nest box. I have not seen any mating but I hope this is a positive thing. When I go near the cage or open it for cleaning she will go right into it. Also they have been feeding each other and just more into each other..
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I have not seen any mating but I hope this is a positive thing.

I dont really know if this is general, but we do notice most of our kakariki mate between 11 am and 1pm....usually the earlier time...and on higher branches...hence the need for these to be a good diameter for a stable place.....branches several inches in diam.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject:

I wonder if the 11am - 1pm is becasue the temp in the day ??? that seems to be when my birds are more active also. I do have branches higher as i was told they do like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: