Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Budgie X Kakarikie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Budgie X Kakarikie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Budgie X Kakarikie

When checking on our birds this morning i was shocked to find one of our budgies mating with one of my kakarikies. Now the kak AJ has a partner whom she's has had young with, He ( sarah ) was sat near the two mating.
Should i remove the budgie?. Im still shocked to have seen this.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject:

signlol
cheeky good ol' budgies

I don't think there's need to remove the budgie, I don't know if they will even go to nest. Unless there's fighting or something like that.
I think they were just having fun, budgies may also mount other birds, seen once a budgie riding on a cockatiel.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Ive just moved the birds around into a larger avairy. ( ive reduced my zebbies by 50) While i was cleaning the old avairy of the kakies/ budgies, Aj and the budgie were at it again within 1 hour they must have "paired" 5 times so i sprayed water at the pair. What i carn't understand is these two birds have been in the same avairys together for many years and nothing like this before signlol. Yesterday ( thursday) i checked the birds and found some blood on AJ. I managed to catch her and brought her into the house. I wraped her i a t-towel and found a small cut on her elbow/knee. i cleaned it up and pit some cream on it. This morning shes lively and talking. So i will be putting her back into the avairy later this morning.
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Ive put AJ back in to the avairy and all hell has broke loose. One of the younger females "sammy" went for AJ. So AJ went straight into her nest box closely followed by her mate sarah and her two offsprings ella and nicki covering the out side. Lots of "talking" between them it seams like they were protecting AJ. I think AJ might have lost her "top bird" status now.
Sammy is making alot of weird eerie sounds and offering her self to any of the spare males, Whats happening ?.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject:

You have nesting boxes an a community situation....
Most parrots become yerritorial when going to nest so community breeding is a very delicate matter IF this have been ok up to then.

Doesnt take much to upset this balance.
Quote:
So i will be putting her back into the avairy later this morning.

We have found changes additions are best made in the afternoon/evening during the afternoon fresh veggie feed.....and the same with hens, just on roosting time for them.

How big is the new flight?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject:

The new flight is roughly double the size of the old one. It was originaly two flights. What i did was to take down 1/2 of the middle section (that divided the flights) so opening both flights up together this was done a year or so ago due to the zebbies breeding like rabbits signlol. I will remember that next time to realese birds back into the flight in the afternoon. I did put some fresh fruit / veg and hay ( which mine love ) in before i let AJ go. Thanks for the tips Steps, one more thing if AJ produces any eggs should i distroy them as i have seen her pairing with the budgie on atleast 8/9 occassions.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject:

If I were you I would let the hen brood the eggs and see if they are fertile or even hatch.

From a scientific standpoint would be a very interesting event.

If it was another sort of mating (for instance within the same 'family', i.e. scarlet chested x turquoisine, or fisheri x lilianae lovebird) I would say destroy the eggs.

By the way... how is cohabitation of kakariki and the zebbies?
Out of coincidence a Spanish fancier asked me about making a mixed flight of zebra finches and 1 pair of kakariki, aviary measures 2mx2mx0,70m

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
manders
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject:

We had a breeding pair of zebbies in with the kaks, adults were fine but one kak went for a fledged baby and damaged a leg, we had to remove them. Zebbies will nest and breed anywhere so probably not a good mix?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject:

Co habitation fine.....finches same for burkes and stuff
Breed the kakariki the odds are they will get terrorurial, have scabbles and be a stressed flight....could even end up lossing a few birds over the months
Breed the finches, burkes, they kakariki are curious and go in nests , have a play, rip stuff apart...Even if have a hole just big enough for a burke...the kakariki can still reach a long way in...and chances on of the smaller females will eventually wiggle or chew her way in...not intentionally distructive .

The only nest the kakariki dont upset too much are quail...thu will move the eggs around when the nen goes to feed....she comes back rolls the eggs back and carries on.

There are cases , and we have successfully community breed, it does happen.....but not likely.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject:

We have a total of 4 avairies. When we first started out years ago we had a few zebbies, javas, budgies in just the one flight NOTHING bread. Over the years we split the birds of into their own flights. The biggest one now has the 10 kakies, 3 budgies and a quail, flight 2 has 26 zebbies and 7 bengalise. The zebbies only bread when they were on their own. Most people have zebbies and bengalise together so this is a new experiment for us and have only been together in the same flight for about 5 days all getting along.
Flight 3 we have about 10 javas which also didnt start breeding untill they were on their own.
Flight 4 the newest has 8 silverbills which we bought november last year.

On checking AJ's nest box this morning she has indeed got an egg, Im hoping that her mate had a look in with her ( between the budgie) as both AJ's mate and the budgie are both feeding her. So im going to let her sit the egg/s and see what i get. Fingers crossed for 100% kakie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: