Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Chicken bone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Chicken bone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Chicken bone

Hi all,

I gave my kakariki a small chicken bone the other day. Today I wanted to remove what was left of it and found.. nothing.

I was expecting to find it back with small bites/ cracks in it , or at least pieces of it.

I am both surprised and worried now.
Should I worry?

Dutch greetings,

Geertje
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject:

Worry...well maybe..if that is what your bird can do to say a chicken leg bone, imagaine what it will do to a finger or your ear Wink

We chopp our bones up so they can get to the marrow inside (excellent iron/minnerals source), the soft cartilage at the ends (excellent calcium source) and the meat excellent proriens.

If it disappeared it will because its lacking in something..or dropped it behind the fridge d'oh!
If it doesnt disapear it generally means the body is maintianing good levels of nuitiants.

The best parts are the neck chopped up and the carcass around the spine, the breat bone with all that cartilage.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject:

quote: " Worry...well maybe..if that is what your bird can do to say a chicken leg bone, imagaine what it will do to a finger or your ear"

So true!!

I Pray my little angel will never turn Twisted Evil on me!

I was worried about what the splinters could do to his inside. But if you, with your experience, give yours chopped up chicken bones I'll stop worrying about that one little bone.

And no... I am pretty sure the bone has not left his cage. If he is out I am always near. It might have fallen to the floor behind his cage, i'll check to make sure tonight.

Neck of the chicken? Ha,skippersdaughter living in a city here. I buy mine in the supermarket without the neck.. But carcas around spine is a can do! Thanks for the tip!
So you also leave some of the meat around the bones? I was afraid that would be too salty and cleaned the bone before I gave it to him.

And yes, I think you are right about him lacking in something. I am glad he is still young enough to help him make up for it. If I had not read about it here on the forum I would never have thought of giving him a bone.. or meat for that matter.

Have a nice day on your part of this crazy planet, as I am about to turn in for a good nights rest.
Please make sure i still have something nice to wake up to tomorrow morning ok?
In other words, behave

Wink

Geertje
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So you also leave some of the meat around the bones?

Well put it this way..we dont buy meat chicken, lamb chops, streak beef for out birds.
The meat/bones, thats is left over from the dinner plates, gets chopped up with the cleaver....as is off the plate....

Feed to the birds, along with scrapes from the veggie preparation, the birds eat it....the avairies are cleaned each week, thats put around the plants in the veggie garden.....veggie garden grows veggies, supose thats recycling, missing out on the compost bin stage Shocked

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Ok ok, I get it... you and your birds basicly eat eachothers shit .. grinn..

JUST KIDDING!!!

angel
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject:

I think other than a few cans of sweet corn, the odd pack of pulses and seed mixes I have not spent a cent in my birds' food or complements in a long time.
(I grab a few things from the kitchen now and then but mostly it's stuff that is close to going off, and a few eggs for the home-made eggfood, but that's not very significant).

I also suggest/recommend mixing 1 bag cockatiel seed mix + 1 bag canaryseed (canaryseed itself, not canary mix), instead of using only cockatiel mix. Better for the birds as the protein content is higher and better for economy as birds feel less hungry and comparatively they eat less quantity of canaryseed than millet. Not that they do not like it, in fact now when I check the seed bowls millets are the last seeds to be eaten.
I followed Thierry Duliere's advice (French breeder) and I'm very happy with the result.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject:

You guy's seem to do a lot better than me, economy wise.
I must admitt I buy stuff fresh specially for my Kakariki.

in fact:
Kwibus eats better than I do.
I end up with more goodies in my grocery cart for him than for myself.
I spend at least the same amount of money on bird food as I do on human food.
And every now and than I caution my family not to eat something because " it's for the bird" .
Or... Make them eat stuff just because I want the left overs for Kwibus.. like chicken the other day.

:oops:

I started to chop up veggies and save them in the fridge like step toe suggested.
My hubby caught me in the act and sighed.. gees, it's like being in a zoo here :P

But then.. I only have one kakariki ( for now) I save a lot of money since my kids are practically living on their own. And with all my spare time spent on buying and chopping veggies and fruits and searching for knowledge and wisdom @ this forum I also save lots of money on not having time enough to shop for shoes Wink
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject:

signlol

you should point out those benefits to your hubby

I also present data and facts that way to family and girlfriend when they complaing. I usually point out what I have spent in birds I don't spend it in parties/alcohol like most of my college/university friends, and this is healthier signlol

the problem is when you have 1 pet at home usually becomes spoiled. My gf is usually not fond of spending money on food for the birds, etc... and a few days ago when we went buy the seed mix she bought 2 birdy sticks with honey for the 2 budgies. I was like.... wtf! you never buy that kind of stuff. I was laughing.

I think you are going through one of the stages of the transformation.
Eventually you'll end up eating healthier, or at least I did after I realized it was better to cut back on processed stuff, and eat more natural.

I used to eat a lot of doughnuts, cookies, etc... now if I'm in the middle of the afternoon or in the middle of the morning with the birds I take an apple or a pear, give them the core :)
Eventually it becomes a habit, once you give up on processed sugars and flours you feel much better, as they are somehow poisonous.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
And every now and than I caution my family not to eat something because " it's for the bird"

I started to use 'less' for the birds at least went further....after the children left school....I learn a little while ago they would come home anf grab a couple handfulls to munch on.

Rem I make up 6 or 7 kg at a time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: