Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hand rearing .
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hand rearing .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Hand rearing .

As i'm a first time breeder i waa after some info on hand rearing just in case any thing went wrong as is mentioned some other posts.
I know a freind had to do it with some love birds she breed.

The following info was kindly offered by Allen-

Hand rearing at three weeks is much easier thanfrom day one. Do you have a brooder? or you can make up something to give chicks warmth, at three weeks you can get away with about 25C but 27 - 28 C is better. I use Aviplus hand rearing Parakeet, made in Durban, South Africa, I have seen it advertised in the UK Parrot magazine for sale in the UK but any reasonable hand rearing formula will do. I prefer to use a modified tea spoon for feeding instead of a syringe, takes longer and more patience but it safer for the bird and they get tamer too. Food needs to be warm but not hot enough to burn (about 43C). Try not to get food in their nostrils, quickest way to loose chicks.

First clutch, you may get lucky and all the eggs hatch but usually one or two don't hatch even if they are all fertile. The eggs get chilled while parents are attending to the older chicks and if there are lots of eggs (8 or more), the chicks start pushing the eggs out from under the mother.

Of course with the first clutch there is a stronger probability that the male didn't do his job quite right and some of the eggs aren't fertile. Post a thread on the forum about your chicks and we can carry on there.

Regards

Allen

Do you have a brooder? or you can make up something to give chicks warmth, at three weeks you can get away with about 25C but 27 - 28 C is better.

I do not have one, would it possible to use a heater mat like they use in vivariums with thermostat ?? i have a few laying around.

She has just layed her & egg so got a while yet before any chicks appear.
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject:

The best form of heating is a source that can be thermostatically controlled. Some heat pads have this option. If not allow room for the chicks to move away from the heat source should they get too hot. This can be achieved by placing the heat pad in a slightly larger box which allows the chicks to move away should they get hot.
Chicks that are too hot will move away from each other in an effort to cool down. Chicks that are too cold will huddle together right on top of the heat source. As the chicks get older and feather up the heat source can be reduced.
The other option is to use a light mounted above a nest box. Point the light into one corner. This allows the chicks to move to the warmer side of the box if cold and to the cooler side if they become too hot.
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject:

The heat mat ive got is thermo controlled so that should be ok.
Bit like my old lizard tank in a way then with a warm end and a cold end.
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject:

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww64e.htm

Have a look at the above website, there is some usefull info for building your own brooder.

I have even seen brooders made out of polystirene before, although I would not go that route myself. Wood, plastic or glass (aquarium) is probably better. The idea is to keep the birds warm and out of draughts whilst allowing them enough air to breath.

The vivarium heating pad should work quite well, just be carefull not to put the birds directly on top in case it gets too hot for the birds.

Also hand rearing more than one baby is better as they keep each other warm. Tell tales signs of over heating is if the babies are panting and are far apart. If the chicks are quiet and huddled together and their crops are emptying slowly, then they are too cold.
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject:

Funny you should mention that about glass brooders Idea

I've still got a 2 foot fish tank i used for a pair of babt leapord gecko's.
I'm sure i could use that, i had the heater mat under the base with tin foil and polystirene under it to reflect the heat.
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject:

Thought you might have a glass tank if you had the heaters <v>

Should work if you are sensible and don't cook the babies. Hope you have a thermometer too or try and get hold of one.
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject:

Allen wrote:
Thought you might have a glass tank if you had the heaters <v>

Should work if you are sensible and don't cook the babies. Hope you have a thermometer too or try and get hold of one.

I happen to have a couple of digital thermometers from some old lorry air conditioning units. <v>

Thought they would come in handy one day ...
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject:

Going a bit of course for a moment Shame on you
I took this picture this morning of Kiki's eggs,
i notice that three of them seem to be a pinky colour while the other four are more white in appearence.
Is this normal as they develop or are some not fertile?

7 eggs.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.4 KB
 Viewed:  208 Time(s)

7 eggs.JPG

INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject:

Looking at your pic I would have to say that 4 are fertile and 3 are not, however, it would be more helpful to know when they were laid Rolling Eyes

(The only thing that stays the same is change !!)
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject:

The first egg was layed on the 10th and the others every other day since.
She started sitting on them properly after the 3rd egg was layed.
is this any help?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject:

We check eggs by placing them one at a time in a small plastic funnel, then shine a small torch that can be focused up the stem on the funnel.
Only do it once, there is a possivilty that this repeated could do harm to the eggs.
Do it when eggs are about 2 weeks old.
u can also place a small mark on the eggs with a felt tip pen.
A number or letter that can Identify order of laying and/or which have been checked.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject:

Hi, have you noticed any change in appearance of the other 3 eggs that I 'thought' might not be fertile :?: Are they changing into a more solid colour? The reason I was asking when they were laid was to TRY and determine when the last egg was laid because it very well could be fertile but just not yet at the stage of visually being able to tell, geez sorry if i've confused you :oops: soooo, any noticable change yet :?: Good luck with them and make sure you tell us how many do actually hatch <v>

BTW I haven't heard of that method of placing the egg in a funnel and checking that way, sounds like a 'must try' Applause

(The only thing that stays the same is change !!)
Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject:

Hi Indi, Steptoe ,Allen.

Just an update really, she is still sitting tight apart from the odd drink break and for him to feed her.
As for the eggs, the three that were a pinky colour have now changed to a more solid white colour.
I've tried the light test on a couple of them and you can see the air sack and a more solid mass the other end , I think its a bit late now as some one said do it at two weeks. would help if i knew what i was looking for though :oops:

i've attached both pics so you can compare !!

7 eggs.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.4 KB
 Viewed:  203 Time(s)

7 eggs.JPG

eggs1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.64 KB
 Viewed:  175 Time(s)

eggs1.jpg

Jonny
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:

<v> <v> <v> <v> <v> <v>

Guess what ??

The first egg hatched today Applause

chick1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.62 KB
 Viewed:  165 Time(s)

chick1.jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject:

1st Chick....
Many of us may have 2, 3 or even more hens laying at one time..we can tend to forget the thrill of our 1st chick many yrs ago....Thu it is always a buzz to open a box and see newly hatched chicks
It is threads like this, your expression of excitement, that brings back the heady thrill of those early days and 1st Chick.
Thanks for sharing, m8...its good for our soul. I like it. keep it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: