Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - What do u feed your Kikes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

What do u feed your Kikes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:

I cant tell u the brand off hand as my wife buys it and goes straight into a sealed jar...
The brand / variation was chosen because had the higest calcuim content.
And brand along these lines
http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/SpecialsAisle/86?name=dry-cat-food-25#url=/Shop/SpecialsAisle/86%3Fname%3Ddry-cat-food-24

A couple of the little biskets per bird every 3 to 7 days.....given at the same time as the veggies......If I remember.
We do not rely on them or suggest them as a perminent suppliment.
I do not reconmend any suppiments but rather a good AND consistant natural diet....this is difficult to achieve in captivity doent matter if a bird or a lion or elephant.....these are just give 'just in case' something may be missing ......sort of an insurance policy if u know what I mean.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Geertje, in my opinion not worth buying cat or dog stuff.
Steps feeds the cats biscuits because he has cats.
But I'm not a big fan of dog or cat pellets.
A piece of chicken bone will do it :) as a treat and/or protein supplement.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject:

Steptoe/ Pabloc,

Thanks for the reply!

Trouble is.. I am a "wannabevegeterian" and getting better at it by the day

Hubby loves meat, but travels around the world. So chicken bones are rare in this household.

hummm...
I remember reading something about cats on this forum..
Maybe that idea of deepfrying one of those neighbourhoodcats that ruin both my garden AND my furniture is not such a bad idea...
After all, I can allready smell spring here.
Won't be long before they will start using my garden as a public toilet again..

JUST KIDDING!!!! .. for now that is.. sigh..

I'll think of something creative to solve this.

How about tiger poop for the cats, to scare m off, and cat biscuits for the bird?

Would kak's eat make believe meat?
I do manage to fool hubby with it now and then...
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I am a "wannabevegeterian" and getting better at it by the day

Excellent news, that means more meat for us "dontwannbeveggies" thumb

Jokes aside, are you becoming full 100% vegan, or just vegetarian? (i.e. you still eat eggs, cheese, etc...)
The main source of animal protein my kakas get is boiled eggs mixed with breadcrumbs or home-made "barre-bretonne" (depends on wether there is leftover bread at home or not). Bones are a bit more of an "extra" 1x/2x per week.
Also sometimes at the groceries they have the odd chicken neck etc... that people doesn´t want. Here they usually give them away to people that have dogs, unfortunately I always arrive late.

A dead cat would probably be w3c by your kakariki.
Once one of my lineolated parakeets (catharina in Dutch) died in the aviary and when I arrived half of the bird was already gone.
And wild kikes have been reported to eat roadkills.

Cheers - Pablo

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject:

I dont have an issue with veggitains except 1
They come for dinner hear and we provide suitable dishes for them...and my wife is an absolute briilient chef.
We go to a veggitains for dinner and get vegietian and very nice IF they really know how to cook... theproblem is they usually are only ave or below ave cooks.
So when get home, open the container that has the aging/aged steak.meat in the fidge, onion, oyster sauce, few fresh herbs, sliced tomato and lettice out of the garden, couple slices whole meal bread with heaps of butter, and a big plate to catch the drips off the elbows Whistle

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject:

Aww, so sorry to hear about your Catharina, must have been an awful sight!

Still eating eggs and love my Old Amsterdam cheese!
It's not on principle reasons I am giving up on meat. I just like it less and less. The way it looks, smells and how it makes me feel afterwards..so.. stuffed up..

Ever heard of BARF? I must admit I had not until tonight. It stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. And after just READING about it for a while I find it a very appropriate abbreviation.

throup

(Real cool emo Step!!)

So eggs is a can do :) In fact, Kwibus likes a slice every now and then. And I do give him some dried whole-wheat bread sometimes.

It's just the way Kwibus completely demolished that chickenbone that made me wonder..

I'll dive into it a bit more the next few days. But for now i'll call it a day.

Hope you and your loved ones sleep tight Pablo.
Who knows.. you might get lucky.. and dream of meatballs

( sorry, could not resist )

Twisted Evil
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject:

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL @ Step!

You know what.. after the game, the king and the pawn end up in the same box.. so you do as you please mister.. go for it :)!!!

But.. if you ever make the WISE decision to hop on a plane and personally hand me one of your BEAUTIFUL kike's . I'll cook you and your family a veggie dinner that makes you forget all about aged steaks.. for at least an hour or so!

Wink
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Aww, so sorry to hear about your Catharina, must have been an awful sight!

yes, it was not very nice to catch the bird like that

about meat... I have the same feeling, progressively I tolerate less and less certain types of meat (pork meat especially), let alone McCrap and that kind of stuff, snacks, etc...
I think it probably has something to do with the way the feed the cattle and the way they keep them . Too much hormones, pelleted diets with all kinds of industrial disposals, etc...

There are many discussions about it in this forum, also some people mentioned hunting game, etc...

Cheers / Pablo

PS: I have tried to set up Steps on shipping me a kike or a king parrot but he didn't fall for it, the guy is smart Sad

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Your problem with meat is not meat..it is our modern PC BS way of preparing it and eatting it, which not only makes it taste bad but it is jusrt down right unhealthy.
We have this modern concept of "Fresh Meat"
"fresh Meat" is the result of modern marketting propaganda convincing us "Fresh Meat" is good foe us, when all it is really about is they can turn over the meat faster and cheaper.

Good meat should have the beast hung for around 3 to 4 WEEKS....not 24 hrs or less from abitour to table.
Many countires now have legislation as to min time now ranging from 24 to 48 hrs because of health issues being too quick.
Talk to any experianced /qualified butcher...or any top Chef...or dietian.

I love food, I love taste, I will eat anything...and yeah have, do. But frsh meat doesnt cook right, doesnt taste right, hasnt a good texture....suchs.

Aged well rump, sorlion, even crappy old stewing chuck steak is far superior to a fresh prime eye steak.

But hey the meat works have done the damage with their Fresh meat propaganda over the last 30/40 yrs, just the thought of eatting aged meat is now repulisve.....YET go to that nice restrant with that nice steak ..the one you wonder why u cant cook it like that at home...even when you follow their instructions.....but if they told you it was specially aged, you would not go back right?..they dont have "Fresh Meat"

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject:

Just to pop in with something-
Im vege, and occasionally I buy 'quorn' products, mainly the sausage. Plenty of protein, low in fat, and my kakariki DEVOUR it!
As Pablo pointed out, if you head to the butchers, ask them for a small bag of mixed bones- Costs pennies, cook all once, smash with a hammer, and freeze until needed! Plenty of 'scrap' meat, marrow and bone for them to gnaw on. :)

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject:

Aha, another meatleaver Wink

Thanks for the tips Steptoe, Pabloc and Moko!

I'll buy some makebelieve meat tomorrow to see if Kwibus likes it.

Butchers are hard to find here. I am completely surrounded by supermarkets Sad They get their supplies frozen, defrost and sell it.

But on Saturday's I buy fish at the weekly market down town.
I live in a multi culti part of the town so there's bound to be a hallal butcher/poulterer at that market as well.

Sounds like homemade chickensoup for me this weekend Wink
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject:

It used to be common for kakariki in the wild to be seen of the foreshore eating the insects and grubs in the washed up kelp....AND to be scavanging on old fish carcasses....
Dont know if you ppl make fish head soap, but a chopped up fish head they do get into.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Tried mine with 'fish' products, they dont mind a bit of tuna, but turned their noses up at salmon and prawn. Saying that, mine are still frightened to death at the sight of a live meal worm!
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Saying that, mine are still frightened to death at the sight of a live meal worm
That, and other issues like parents not raising chicks, getting birds to wean onto natural foods, even in more extreme cases, behavoural issues, can all be traced back to hand raising, unnatural diets and generations raised, kept in cages.
All adds to the denaturing low resistance to deases, and the mystrious problems and dieing of pet birds.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject:

I whole heartedly agree.
To say my birds wouldnt touch a piece of meat when I first got them, I think they are doing well.
Im forever shoving small pieces of different foods in with them, (they do have a HUGELY varied diet anyway as you know) and it seems to be doing them good. They are more curious to new foods now, and they try more or less everything I bring them. Im sure as time goes by they will continue this, and this will be passed on to the chicks I now have.
Tomorrows new food will be next months normal diet....hopefully!
Maybe even a mealworm or 3!
:)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: