Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Adoption mission....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Adoption mission....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject:

Funnily enough, it occured to me that even though they arent her chicks, it may prompt some nesting instinct. I actually put up a spare one only yesterday!
She hasnt been spending as much time in the 'box' with them this last couple of days, Moko has taken over nearly all of the duties.
This is what prompted me.
Theyre behaviour has been spot-on as parents from what Ive read -mostly from this fab site:)- So thought it might be better to be safe!

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Funnily enough, it occured to me that even though they arent her chicks, it may prompt some nesting instinct. I actually put up a spare one only yesterday!
She hasnt been spending as much time in the 'box' with them this last couple of days, Moko has taken over nearly all of the duties.
This is what prompted me.

you have good instincts, that you support with research and common sence.
It is people who have that, that become top animal breeders...not just birds. Wink

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Thankyou so much. :)

Another update- my female is very fond of her nesting box this last week, I'll keep my eye on how that developes.
The 2 chicks are HUGE, and are now 5 and 6+ weeks.
Moko is still feeding them, they are very curious about the outside world, and have tried getting out a couple of times.... Wont be long before they succeed!
They are BEAUTIFUL birds! They are both pied, elder one has a lot of yellow, the younger more wild colour (a VERY deep green, almost black in places) with the odd yellow feather.
They have lovely thick smooth shiny feathers like their surrogate parents.
We have now named them. (Obviously feeling more confident at survival rate!)
TIAKI and RUA look like they are going to be around for a long time! :)

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The 2 chicks are HUGE,

you mean comparing with your parents?

I know what you mean...avariry reared AND parent supplied with good diet, that happens.
Also what could have helped is the orginal female mating was 'accidental' right? maybe in a community flight? and therefore where not paired off, but rather naturally paired.

I would sort of be hoping that your pair dont 'pair up' but wait for these to mature in abot 6 months, put them all together and hopefully on of those pair with your female and hopefully one odf the chicks is female

Time to start thinking about a more serious avary and flights?

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Time to start thinking about a more serious avary and flights?

I can already hear the pencil scratching a piece of paper, they call them plans, don't they?

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject:

@Steps, HUGE as in, nearly as big as my adult male already, and WOW! dont they grow quickly?!
Update on my female- shes laid 2 eggs up to now! (Knew something was going on when she got all 'comfy'.)
As for aviary plans, Pablo is correct! Already in the making for the big outdoor one, and I already have a bird enthusiast interested in any future young! :)
It is here I wish to thankyou for your help, encouragement and support.
This site rocks!

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject:

awesome!!!

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Already in the making for the big outdoor one, and I

Dont!!!
Or if you do make in such a manner you can put in removable partitions with doors in them.

Our basic 'kitset' construction.
a end panel, a front panel 2m H x 1.2m , roof is a sheet of ply...rear is a sheet of ply with doot in. roof , reat and front are screwed together.
Roof and rear screw straight to side and front panels....and use triangle platea to hold rest together
All sits on level bricks or ground treated 4x2 timber.
Overall flight size is 1.2m W x 3.6 m deep x 2m h front and 1.8 h rear
Leghth can be 2.4 depends on what size ply sheets used.
Need a strip of ply around the base about 200 mm high.
each dividing/end wall has part ply wall divider...1 sheet and rest mesh

use 2mmx 17mm square welded mesh...the finer stuff chicks cut their forehead to easy.
Stapling mesh I use 9/16 staples with an electric staple gun every 3 rd or 4rd mesh square.
put the mesh on the inside of the frame...NOT the outside.

Oh yeah framing....I use borax treated rough sawn 2x2" pine.

Every 3rd or 4th flight has a rear door, with small safty room , and access to the other flights from internal doors.

you now have an avairy that is easy to dismanyle, move, and even add to on each end.

If doing a display flight build so veiwing is side on.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject:

What a wonderful story Moko!

first of all the fact that you took those little ones home and then the way your kaks foster them.

Big BIG smile on my face while reading about it.

Applause
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks Gee, ive had a few palpitations- UNTIL the surrogate parents took over completely! The first chick has flown the nest, a bit wobbly on 'his' feet, but a good flyer.
Chick 2 is desperate to join in, give him another week he'll be out too. :)
@Steps: Ive been reading up on the aviary threads on here and the info you have given, and have a good idea of what is needed now- and I still want a really good sized flight area too. Might end up taking over the back garden at this rate, but hey! never liked mowing the lawn anyway! Wink
Oh yeah, my female, Lani, now has 3 eggs.... And you know what? Im REALLY calm about it all! I KNOW she's going to be a good mum after all this!
B-)

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject:

Hi!

I strongly suggest the removable partitions part.
Whatever I build next I'll make sure I do it in a modular fashion and in such a way I can use it with more flexibility.

About taking up the garden, as you say, it saves up time from looking after the plants and mowing the lawn signlol :)

But if you spend time outdoors kakariki are a pleasant bird to have, they are not noisy and their call is not loud/continous. Other species can be a pain.

Cheers / Pablo

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@Steps: Ive been reading up on the aviary threads on here and the info you have given, and have a good idea of what is needed now-

That old thread on building , the layout is now rather obsolete , but the construction method , foundtions etc and the drainage holes are still current....Apply the above to the orginal plans.

2x2" framing and 1.5 mm mesh is fine foe kakariki cockeils, budgies, finches, and bigger parrots like kings, crimsons, splendards, burkes, turq that are not 'chewers"
Parrots like major mitchals, galah, sulphur crested, macaw at notious for chewing....dont even consider a wooden frame...has to be steel.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject:

I plan on having the 'indoor' areas raised, with a concrete flooring. The big flight I want part roofed, and I would like a compost/sand floor. My birds at the moment have a compost floor, and love to dig around and eat it. Im trying to work this into the plans.
The whole thing will be shuttered, so I can close it off at night, and keep the wild life and worst of the weathers out.
:)

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject:

If you can accept that we have tried concret, bark, straw, dirt floors open , part open closed roof....
This is what I recomend.
Full roof, heavy rain, cats, other birds leaves are all a pain in the butt.
Face towards the sun and have a long perch hanging along the front so sunbathing.
Floors..
We lay the foundations...the 4x2" ground treated pine level to build on.
Then build
Floors then leveled with a gentle slope to the draining bucket with holes in, the ground...that the water tray sits over.
leave dirt if wish...what is important is that wet and or damp flooras means intestinal worms....(regular apple cider cinegar)
If the dirt floor remains dry..other than the occassional damoing down due to huge tropical storm....fine
If not, and can be done latewr with the birds in there....mix up mortar, using pumice sand its bulky and light....a bit of quick set additive bucket in float off to get drainage fall right.
A flight 3m x 1.2 m 5 to 10mm is a little over 2 20L buckets of mortar.

2 to 3mm sand ..preferble pumice sand over this is idea, easy to rake once a fortnight to clean.
Sand floors a BIG no..sand take weeks to dry out, it is like a big sponge soaking food crap eyc into it and a mission to keep turning over and a mission to replace...gets smelly quick.
Now a thin...1 or 2 mm of sand over a dirt or mortar floors is ideal

I dont know why u want to shutter....thats extra work....if you want to enjot the hobby, ant hobby, it means it does become a burden further down the line...in a few yrs.
Face away from prevailing cold winter winds...thats about it.
We have a long sheet of wind break, stapled and hanging from 1/2 way up an open set of flights...that was put and hung right across some yrs back when a huge tropical cyclone came down..well the remains of one
The stuff has hung down the bottom 1/2 ever since just in case we get another storm like that....we have had many close, never had to put up again.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject:

Gotcha! I currently have a timberman collecting wood for free- and a couple of friends who (for some odd reason, possibly the lure of the kakariki;)) are ready and waiting to get hands on!
The two chicks are- from what I can tell, one of each- im considering keeping the darker beautiful female (and getting her a fresh blood mate later) and MAYBE selling the pied male.
I said MAYBE, yeah?
All the family were out having a fly around today, it was utter gorgeous chaos!
My adult female now has 8 eggs too.
I feel like Ace Ventura! :-D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: