Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Memories of Scotty Kakariki
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Memories of Scotty Kakariki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrLebaron
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Memories of Scotty Kakariki

My first time owning a kak in the 90's, I ended up with quite the bird. He was what I called 'scary smart' for a bird brain. Teaching him tricks was just too easy. He had a whole routine he would do.
It's the stuff he figured out himself that was real funny/odd.
He opened my bedroom door by jumping up and down on the handle until the door opened,he'd drop kick the door, then fly up and over.
Or he'd go into the bathroom to hang around and turn on the light.
I'd leave the TV on for him while I was out and he'd change channels. Sports and children shows.

When he was on top of his cage, I could ask him to do laps and he knew the difference between 1 and 5 laps and anything in the middle.

But never talked english, only kakariki. But if he wanted something, I'd ask 'you show me' and he would.

I have somemore tales of the things he pulled I will share when I have more time.

Thanks.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Never underestimate you children and never understimate your parrots.

Every once in a while one gets a bird that stands out, beyond the norm...we had a sulphur crested like that....and in a thread way back an Alpha male kakariki in a flock who would 'ration out; count out the sweet corn....throw about another 6 birds in and he got it right 1st time.

Talking, as I have said before is a pain in the butt, a bird that does stuff...now thats not only entertaining, its usually interactive...lot more fun.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject:

I agree. Never underestimate the birds. Plus talking can be overrated and a pain in the ears. Here's another story about bird forethought.

I had a entertainment unit. Scotty started going behind the VCR. He got the 'bad bird' and I re-adjusted the shelves so there was no room on top for him to go. Then I placed a heavy German beer glass next to the VCR to block the side.
This was ok for a while until one day I came home and the glass was moved.
Again, Scotty got the 'bad bird' and sent to his cage. Everything was fine after that and I didn't see the glass moved again.

Until....one summer day I got off work early. I went and checked my swimming pool first, so I came in the house through a different door than usual. As I came in, I could hear the sound of his toe nails on the VCR.
I quietly looked around the corner and saw the glass moved. Then Scotty quickly comes out....and puts the glass back in it's spot, does a 5ft leap away and just sat there all innocent.

I look behind the VCR and it was more than a one time thing. He always put the glass back and got the label in the right direction.
Then I wonder with all the clocks I had in that house, if he knew when 3 o'clock was, because I only caught him once before, until I got off early.

Hard to punish him for being so smart, but that spot was off limits. He had lots of other things to do.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject:

I believe at least some birds are able to somehow get a feeling for the time/schedule.
My gf's budgie usually starts chirping and moving around the cage like crazy at around 1930-2000 as it's around the time we open his cage door.
And he can't really get it from the sunlight, as he does it year round.

Cheers / P.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
DrLebaron
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject:

All my kaks have a certain time when they're sleepy. All I have to say "is it night-night time"? and they fly to their cages and assume the postion.

I thought is was so smart of the bird to put the glass back, label out and be out of there before I got home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: