Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Slightly Confused, Age, Gender, Diet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Slightly Confused, Age, Gender, Diet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakarikinewbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Slightly Confused, Age, Gender, Diet

thank you ksue for your info last night ..every bit helps

i bought my kakis yesterday and am already bonding with one of them pure lemon yellow speckle of orange here and their even to the point of him/her being hand fed (so my geuss is that ones the female) where as my green red crest althou hes more of a dirty olive green rather than the nice shiny green you have in 90% of the pictures which im hoping it means my male is just young which means i should have longer with them but well
1 how can i tell their age
2 their sex
3 brocccoli - just washed and raw or boiled for them to eat

as i said in another forum which was probabily the wrong on to ask the question in but the store i bought them from "pets at home" KERCHING
the young girl didnt exactly know their age or sex so if anyone can help all would be appreciated
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Hi I personally cant help you with the age sex question you might have to post some pics and some of the more experienced breeders might be able to tell...... I can help with the broc question...i give it to my birds just wahed and raw if you can get some with the leaves still on they love them....if you want to steam it you can its up to you I personally dont but you will find they will pretty much eat everything!!!!! My boy love celary and capsicum I also find he likes it better cut in strips rather than chunks if you get what i mean.... I think you will possibly find it difficult to age them I think all parrots are quiet hard to find out there age but good luck....###kellie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
1 how can i tell their age
2 their sex
3 brocccoli - just washed and raw or boiled for them to eat

1/ after just over a yr, for wild kakariki, I wouldnt know..they dont have teeth or anything signlol...they get about the same size. If the male is a bit young your 1st batch could be inferile...2nd batch u are on your way.
And old bird does have a older 'look' but unless very old, u wouldnt tell unless in a flight with younger birds, even then one would have to be familar with kikes and only be 80% sure.
Be interested in other members thoughts on that

2/This is described in several other posts...the advanage of looking for info in the forums is that u will pick up other info along the way...to the left is a Quick search box, and above another search button

3/ Oh just throw them a few matches and a billy, they throw they fill the billy from the water bowl, a few seed husked and cook it up themselves.
Just joking...dont give them matches they are piosonious...they are up on the play and use a lighter now.
Sry...have been fooling around with the children lmao , hasnt worn off yet

Seriously, they eat them raw in the wild, thats how they have evolved for the last few 100,000 yrs and its done them well. Wash yes,
if from your garden, removes possible contamination from wild birds. Dont worry about any bugs catapillers thu.
If from the shop wash well, spray residules etc, thu this will not remove any sysmatic organophosphates etc not much we can do about those.
Depending on where u live in the world determines what levels there maybe. Even so the chances of ill effect are very slim. Teflon is a bigger killer.
Read the thread on what to feed your kakariki.
And hey... w3c to our community thumb
Steps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: this site rocKs

its true i love my kakis that much i cant even remember when i got em
2-3 days
phoned the shop today got them to chase down the exact member of staff wwho witnessed the hatching
so my lil babies are just under and just over over 4 months with a 2 day gap which was a shame cos she told me a few died days later which kinda made me to forget about askin about their sexes but i guess from the forums i could find out in 5-6 months
placed in a few more perches and a ballbell thing seems a bit cramped now but was the biggest their
have to consider an aviary or something
still havent named them yet thou i like kiwi but every green kaka seems to be told that but still its a fitting name
tried broccoli today and grape and cucumber ... brock went down ok with one but the red crest (think thats what its called)
still seems a bit timid althou my hand is able to get from 8 inches away to very near 2cm away now which i feel over the moon about
had to take the food out which kinda sent one on a mad dash trying to pop its head out of the cage to reach its food tub
with a slight cheap noise .... made me feel so ashamed and guilty but it needed changing and i still feel bad an hour later
but least he knows where the food is
my 2 year old went digging for worms today and ate them himself as i wouldnt let him feed them
so i know sometime today im gonna hurl!!
funny i know
but i had t clean his mouth afterward
well gonna try eat somethin
thanks for all the help and advise and see yall soon Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: