Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - home made recipes???????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

home made recipes???????
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: home made recipes???????

does anyone have any home made recipes they would like to share with???
i'd like to know if there is one for egg food as im sick off buying the stuff and the one i made up myself didn't work they just turned their noses up at it signlol

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Hi Bruce,

I just give them a mix of hardboiled eggs, seed of weeds, crushed egg shell.
and a few drops of water.

After boiling and peeling the egg I microwave the shell for a few minutes.
This will make the shells go hard and brittle, easier to crush.
I use both the egg white and the yellow.

But you can mix in whatever you think they like.
Such as:
Grated apple or carrot.
Few drops of vitamin syrup for little children.
Breakfast cereal
Cottage cheese/ yoghurt

etc.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Sorry Folks, but I see no need to go to such effort, expense or need for parrots... I recon these receipies and 'miracale' diets, are dreamed up bu ppl with far too much time on their hands, with far too much enthusium

Do not add the shell thinking it is a calcuim source in the diet...
Ca comes in many forms, from unboiled boiled egg shell, cement, concret, plaster of paris powder, plaster of paris set, lime, gypsium, oyster shell, pumice stone, cuttlefish....and most of these are usless.

The only 'receipy' food we have ever given is the chopped veggie mix.
The only 'aftermarket' synthetic processed food is let over cat biskets...when we used to have a cat.

pumice stone and cuttle fish thrown in a flight/cage every few months is far less labour intensive than making up egg food
As is throwing them left over chicken, KFC chopps casserolle etc
And chopping up left over salids and peelings, stems from dinner preparation.

Then the poo the birds leave behind throw in the veggie garden for flowering veggies...tomatos beans etc....and around roses.

'Work hard at being lazy'

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I agree.
Not only for the reasons above, but for the fact my birds enjoy the Raw Fresh Ingrediants so much more.
Waste of time, these miracle mixes.
And i'd rather spend the extra time actually WITH my birds.
:-D

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject:

hi
ive been feeding egg food to my kaks while nesting in the past .... while they have been nesting this time 2 eggs dissappeared "not burried checked found they had been broken"... this was after reading a thread that eggfood wasn't needed so i'd removed it.... ive now started giving them it again and the eggs they layed next were left alone.... now i kno it might very well be a coincidence but wat works works..... now eggfood is expensive here and if there were a recipe for a good home made one id have liked to kno about it..
moko i spend a lot of time with my birds and research the threads ... and then come to a decision based on what i read and what i see from my own birds as what i have discovered so for is that alot of kaks dont behave the same... each one of my birds has its own character and likes different things.
and yes steptoe people do get enthusiastic ... i'm one of those people as i'm only a year into doing this everything is still new about it ... still eager to learn and i feel that might be a bit annoying for more experienced breeders ... i mean as long as my birds get the diet they need what is wrong with giving them something homemade which they love???

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject:

Steptoe, Moko,

please don't get me wrong. I think highly of this site, your experienced advice and the way you try to make it as easy as possible for me.

But... LOLLLL!!
As I mentioned before, I seldom eat meat.
So I would have to buy bones or meat with bones in them specially for the birds.
There is no butcher in my neighbourhood to ask for leftovers. Only big supermarkets with pre packed meat.
I have no cat. ( re cat biscuits)
Cuttlefish I think is too salty.
I keep Kwibus and Qwerty in a cage in my livingroom.

I do eat eggs.
And it's not too much work to prepare an extra one on sunday's just for the birds.

Oystershell is a daily given in their cage. Same as a mineralperch.
They leave it alone but love the fresh egg food on a sunday.
I have only a small garden and growing my own veggies would take up too much of my time and space.

So making my own fresh egg food is fun for me, easy for me.. and the birds love it.

And off course, thanks to your advice, they get loads of diff veggies every day wich they enjoy even more than they do the eggfood :)
Chopped up peasize.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
and yes steptoe people do get enthusiastic ... i'm one of those people as i'm only a year into doing this everything is still new about it ... still eager to learn and i feel that might be a bit annoying for more experienced breeders ... i mean as long as my birds get the diet they need what is wrong with giving them something homemade which they love???

Dont take things the wrong way...you guys are doing the same as what we did yrs ago...except we found most 'experianced breeders perpetuated things that where not requrd or a marketing propaganda from after market companies only responsable to shareholders.

"experianced" doesnt mean read and do...it means read do and question, experiment.

As experianced breeders we pass on our long term experiances, god bad, waste of time etc.
What I do find refreshing is you guys actually questioning, experimenting us, just like we have yrs ago.
There is a down side thu....
Often things dont effect for 2 maybe 3 breeding seasons, then stuff goes wrong, infertitly, birds dont pair off, egg binding, birth defects....
And been there done that to...And yes we work close with several other breeders....discuss with them...locate something started couple yrs back... back on track.

Relying on oyster shell , egg shell, and most 'mineralperches" eventually you will devalope Ca definency, egg binding.
Cuttlefish is not too salty....excess salt is a problem in western human diet...salt is still essentual to good health...
Yes been down this route with our birds and our hens before that.
Loosing several birds and several seasons of fertilty.
Ca and phospouus go very close hand in hand.

Quote:
I have only a small garden and growing my own veggies would take up too much of my time and space.

Interesting....my veg garden..now reduced in size, is approx 14M x 3M..fully planted mulched, no weeds, crop near every day, time per week around 20 mins on ave.....Return on that time $85/hr tax free that I increase our surplus income by...and that is calc at veg prices nearly 5 yrs ago.

Egg food, minerial sticks etc will not do any harm, but do not substitute for a good heaklthy diet in other areas.

Quote:
As I mentioned before, I seldom eat meat.
So I would have to buy bones or meat with bones in them specially for the birds

Not to different to us, at the end of the day....between 70 and 100 parrots, there is no way we have enough left overs ....a couple chicken carcases gone in an hr...But we do have a neighbourhood, the in laws, Dinner at freinds to make up the huge difference,
Im going thru around 6 to 7 kg of veggies every 2 days...Friends/neighbours veggie gardens help....the siverbeet gone to seed etc
About 30 birds we are ok to supply
5 birds we could just from our kitchen food prep. scrapes and left overs.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject:

Hiya again!
I wasnt patronising, and it wasnt meant to be a hurtful statement-
Its merely a solid opinion on dietary needs!
If you like doing it, and want to pamper your kakariki- by all means do it!
Makes for well looked after birds, and theres nothing wrong with that! :)

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Hi guys,

I do feed my birds home-made "eggfood".

I do either of the following:

- If there is enough leftover bread I leave it in the oven 100C to dry it up for 1 hr or so, while I boil a few eggs.
Then it goes to the fridge for a few hrs.
Throw everything into the mixer. If there's too much resulting product I freeze part of it.
You must make a balance of eggs and bread otherwise you'll make an useless sticky dough. Important to mix it when it's cold so it stays firm.

- If there's no leftover bread, I simply make a home-made "barre breton".
With this I'm still experimenting with proportions.
But basicallly it's equal parts of flour eggs butter and sugar.
I change it so that it's more egg, less butter, and sugar is mostly testimonial.

I don't spend that much time doing it.

Same as sprouting a 2x weekly a few seeds and beans... rinse/soak/rinse takes 10 mins max.

Another whole different story is spending the afternoon cooking for the birds complicated "birdy recipes", that's pointless in my opinion.

I just "home-make" the eggfood because it's a way for me to recycle bread or either make it myself, and I make a quantity each time for a cheap price.

eggfood here in Europe costs 4-5€/kg, and this way I spend 1-2€/kg
And for me it's a far easier way to feed a good source of protein regularly. We don't eat that much meat at home neither, we don't have enough leftover bones/meat to feed the birds. So this works for me.
Also in my case I keep many cockatiels and they aren't that keen on meat, so some kind of eggfood is almost a must for them, in my opinion.

But... egfood is a "complement" for energy and protein.

Or those of you that only keep kakariki it's as easy as boiling an egg and giving them a few slices as Gee does.

Peter Wauben told me that once in a while he leaves a boiled egg in the common aviary and a couple of hours later is completely gone.
thumb

Cheers/ Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject:

thank everyone
i pay the same pabloc and its getting a pain because my bird really go thru the stuff when they are nesting... i give them bones cuttlefish and oyster shell is there anything else i can give them other than suppliments?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject:

forgot to put that they wont eat the bones!
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject:

hi bruce,

the bones, I leave them in the aviary like people leave cuttlefish, they are not supposed to eat it in the blink of an eye, but rather nibble at it once in a while, they work on them slowly.
What they take care of quickly is the meat and cartilague etc.... usually in less than 48hrs there's only bare bone left.

I think giving the birds varied veggies, a good dry seed mix, and a bit of animal protein we are covering up pretty welll their dietary needs.
If you can feed them 2x daily as Steps does... even better.

Cheers / Pablo

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject:

The big parrots..kings crimsons can split them to get to the marrow
For kakariki I chop up like the veggies with a sharp cleaver
Even if not chopped up, they are after the cartledge, meat, gristle, but if can get to the rich marrow iron, minerals and proteins to.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject:

Hi,

as I have cheap knives at home, I crush the bones a little bit with my grandpa's hatchet (or either a hammer), enough so kikes can get to the marrow :)
I don't usually cut the bones in little pieces, I divide a couple of pieces and feed them to the kikes.

Cheers/ Pablo

bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject:

sweet i'll try crushing and chopping... i kno they wouldn't eat it straight away but ive left it for nearly a week and still no success... everything else they demolish in a blink of an eye especially paddy he's really feeding for 10 at the moment signlol

he is the dominant male by what ive seen and hes really attentative ... meets all the hens needs and more ... i can barely keep up with him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: