Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - home made recipes???????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

home made recipes???????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject:

hi!

thx for the tips

Yes, presently I keep tenebrios/mealworms myself, but you can only feed them dry stuff, as they don't take humidity very well. If you feed them wet/fresh stuff, there's danger that mould develops. In fact the last time I kept them I fed them a few pieces of old bread and it developed mould even before they finished eating it.

A bin with earth-worms would be nice because it would allow me to recycle veggie scraps, adn at the same time produce fertilizer. And apparently earthworms have a shorter reproduction cycle than mealworms.

Will take a look at it. Where my gf works (sports center) they sell different kinds of worms for fishing and they are quite cheap.

Thx for the tips

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
tailofdog
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: ADD ON

I should have mentioned that, when you buy worms for the farm they are already boxed up by the breeders. I do know they are a variety of worms but, i have forgotten which ones.
tailofdog
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: MEAL Worms

The oat bran and, chicken starter pellets are dry. It is just that it is better nutrition for the meal worms.
I am even thinking of trying chicken starter pellets on my kak,s
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Hi!

about chicken starter, I have read recently on a lovebird forum of a breeder that feeds them to his lovebirds and apparently he has better breeding results.
But... I personally have concerns about this.

So... we are now in this rush/fashion of organics/traditional raised chicken, that are only fed cereal grains of ecologic production... and meat is indeed different.

Then chicken starter also has certain antibiotics/chemicals and I wonder about the long term side effects of them.

I believe a natural diet, for men and beast, is much better than processed stuff. But that's just my opinion.

About the mealworms, I think along the same lines, better feed them a bit of leftover bread, seed shells, a leaf of leftover greens, etc... natural stuff.
Natural, and also cheaper (those are leftovers)

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
tailofdog
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: CHICKEN STARTER

I use the Chicken Starter as the poultry industry is very well researched.
The same reason i give Vitamins. It is just part of covering all bases for me. <v> <v>
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject:

hi everyone
healthy varied diet veg and fruit and protein frm chicken, marrow and seeds dry and sprouted calcium etc ..... question is why the need for extra vitamins and pellets you have more chance of making your kak ill by overdosing on the good stuff.
moderation is the key its the same with healthy stuff as it is with unhealthy.
pellets and vitamins are designed for people/animals which cant get them naturally i used to do seasonal work at a chicken farm when i left school and these animals are mass farmed and far frm getting what they need diet wise.
the pellets are good and contain most of what the poultry needs same goes with the vitamins.
if your bird doesn't get the diet it should then yes these supplements could be the answer but personnally i believe its better the bird gets it frm natural sources ... if your kak does get the proper diet then using these supplements can do your kak more bad than good.
there is a post called "boo with the bad eyes" which is a good read with more info.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject:

Bruce is on to it.

Quote:
when i left school and these animals are mass farmed and far frm getting what they need diet wise.

The answer lays there
How long between hatching and killing ..life span 3 months?
life span of a pet kakariki 12 to 18 yrs?
Why are many animal remidies for stuff like worming ok for animals but not human consumption?
The farm animal lives say 3 to 10 yrs.....we live 80+ yrs
the pellets, artifical foods, drugs have short term benifit, long term effects.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: LIMITED

I use chick starter and vitamins as a sprinkle on top of veg and sprouted seed mix. Worming every 3 months to me is essential. I find it makes sense to me as i do it. Saying that i would never feed pellets! Whistle
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Worming every 3 months to me is essential

Im sry, but to me that is silly....
Why worm unless one needs to?
Constant worming eventually causes resistance to the drugs, so eventually worming becomes pointless.

As stated, I have not wormed a bird for many yrs now, unless it is a new bird sourced else where...and isolated for several weeks.
This has been ever since I 'had a therory' about acetic acid...and have had it in practice ever since.

An elcheapo childs microscope, a coupke slides and test tubes and satuated brine soln is all thats needed to check for worms.

There is an old thread, how to and pics to ID which worm type.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: