Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Help Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Help Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZiggysMum
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Help Please

Firstly i must apologise you have probably had loads of questions like this.

I am not a new kakariki owner i have had Ziggy for approx 10 months, he is a handsome wee thing, full of character. He's especially happy now as we have bought a wee hen kakariki and called her Vegas.

My problem is an ongoing thing, when we got Ziggy his tail was a wee bit ragged, and eventually the feathers on his tail all fell out (This hasn't stopped his exploring) this was 10 months ago.

The tail has never grown back duno i have been to the vet who confirmed there was no mites or lice (done a treatment anyway).

I have been making sure that his diet is good and he enjoys, fruit, bones, egg and seed diet.

Recently i read that fresh herbs such as basil, mint and rosemary are good for the feathers therefore i bought the plants and while Zigggy and Vegas are loving this addition his tail feathers still haaven't grown back.

Don't get me wrong it has in no way affected him and he is generally a very happy wee bird but without his tail he looks like a quail any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nicola

P.S i will put some photos up but having a bit of bother i think all of my Ziggy pics are too big.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject:

Some birds get very ragged tail feathers from the way they land on the wire then slide down a little....some do it some dont.

Birds do not loose all their feathers at once, but in pairs, that way their flight stays balanced.
For all tail feather to fall out at the same time is very strange, and not grow back, stranger, unless damage has been done to the folicules.
Are their any signs of new feathers devaloping in the tail folicules?
Is the bird currently in moulkt?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the reply, i haven't noticed anything at the tail follicles i'm not sure what i would be looking for though.

he has just started moulting, the feathers on his neck and chest are coming out. I am kinda hoping that the moult will bring the tail back.

When the tail first fell out and someone said to check for blood or clear liquid in the feather, there was nothing there either.

Nic
ZiggysMum
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: here are some pics

Tail-less duno

cropped ziggy.jpg
 Description:
Ziggy with no tail
 Filesize:  46.54 KB
 Viewed:  84 Time(s)

cropped ziggy.jpg

ZiggysMum
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject:

A wee update.....ziggy's tail feather have grown back and they are beautiful....i just continued with the herbs and also added olive oil and a multivitamin to their food..he's definately enjoying having them back.

I did wonder though and i'm not sure what your thoughts are on this but could he have had a surge of hormones upon the arrival of his girlfriend and the surge has triggered the regrowth?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject:

No
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject:

hmmm.......i think you may have had the same reaction as my husband to that question.....his face was a picture...apologies sometimes i ask stupid questions then later think..that was a stupid question.

I have just been puzzled by the loss of ziggy's feaathers and the sudden regrowth some 10-11 months later.

Nic
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject:

There are no such "stupid questions" in this forum
Some other times you will be wondering about something that may sound stupid, and it's perfectly logical. When you are starting, and even after you have spend some time keeping birds, you always get surprises once in a while.

Cheers / P.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject:

ZiggysMum

I found this ( to me) interesting article about feathers and molt.

Specially about what hormones and chemical factors are involved.
But most important of it all is good diet.

This article is mainly about parrots and the writer is a pellet fan ... Sad
But parakeets and parrots have a lot in common.

Maybe this article can be helpful to you.

http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=en&tl=nl&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.2ndchance.info%2Fmolt.htm&anno=2

Dutch greetings,

Geertje
ZiggysMum
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject:

Pabloc/Gee

Thanks for your replies.

I had a quick read at the article, very interesting, i'll read it more later when all is quiet.

Thanks again

Nic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: