Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Leg Bands ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Leg Bands ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Leg Bands ???

I currently have 3 Kakariki's in the aviary, 1 red-fronted green and a pair of cinnamons. The cinnamons are/were a bonded breeding pair but the hen has since paired up with the green cock bird, I am getting another cinnamon hen but was wondering about 'maybe' putting different coloured split rings on the cinnamons so I can tell them apart easily.

What bothers me is that I know from breeding other birds it's really recommended that you don't try and ring a mature bird as they may do damage to themselves trying to remove the ring because they are not used to it. I have seen the results of parrots that have literally tried to chew off their ankle because of a ring being put on later in life Shocked any suggestions or ideas on what's best to do here would be appreciated.

(The only thing that stays the same is change !!)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:

If going to band, band the young.
U will have to separate the pairs in diff flights if u put nesting boxes in.

Last edited by Steptoe on Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I do band all young birds that I breed using 'closed rings' it's just that these came with no rings - I was concerned tho' about ringing them at their age but wanted some easy way of identifying the cinnamons from each other.

You say about separating the pairs - I have been told that if you have PAIRS then it shouldn't matter about having them in the same aviary but i'm just learning and that's why i'm here.

A friend of mine has has an aviary with 8 Kakarikis in it and they breed and are doing well and another person has 2 pairs in the one aviary (well this one is a large mixed aviary with also neophemas and princess parrots), actually this is the person that I brough the clutch from to rear and one of those is my pet Kowhai so he obviously has no problems with more than 1 pair either.

My aviary is 10ft wide x 16ft long, has an open flight area (roof covered with laserlight because I there is hawks that fly around here), there is tiels and princesses in there but plenty of room for no-one to get in each others way so I guess that's why I followed what others were doing here.

The other cinnamon hen to make up the 2 pair was suppose to arrive this weekend but I have just heard from them and it will now be next weekend, I really do not have anywhere to move 1 pair to as the only other aviary set up has about 40 budgies in it and I was told that the Kakariki's in with budgies would cause major upset in there with nests d'oh!

Do you think that my aviary should be big enough to accommodate 2 pair 'safely and happily' - what is the reason you say NOT to have pairs in together ???

Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject:

INDI wrote:

A friend of mine has has an aviary with 8 Kakarikis in it and they breed and are doing well

Interesting point because no one of our comunity has experience with breeding more then one pair in the same flight. Males can be verry aggressive towards each other in breeding period.

Can you tell how big your friends aviary is.

Peter
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject:

Next time i'm around there in the next few days i'll make a point of checking out the size of the aviary, I would only be guessing off the top of my head right now as their place is an absolute maze of aviaries of all sizes and all different species of birds - I still get lost Anxious I do know tho' that it was within the last 2 weeks that they were saying that the hens were laying so yes I'll definately check it out and let you know.

I only want what's best for my birds and don't want any harm to come to any of them through any agro and fighting but as I mentioned I only did what I did because it seems to be quite normal and acceptable here in Tassie for some of the breeders to have more than 1 pair in an aviary and be doing well.

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject:

I confirm what Peter says...Being lazy angel I have tried several things to get around the problem.
What I have found is:
1/yellows will breed with others ok..2 males 1 female and 1 male 2 females and also with a pair of crimsons in a flight 2.6m x 1.7m x 2m h
2/Reds Had 1 pair that did breed OK with 2x males 1 female, even the 2nd male got into feeding hen and chicks also. But not long before the chicks where due to emerge he had to be moved to the next flight...once the chicks emerged he continued to feed chicks thru the wire.
3/Reds. In a L shaped flight (see thread Aviary Constuction plans)with 2 pair and nesting boxes 'around the cnr' started out OK, but the flight was stressed just after eggs where laid. (had then to move the other nesting box with eggs and parents to another flight)
This did have the potential to work, maybe, If I had put a large partition in the flight (sheet of ply) making the L larger and blocking more 'line of sight' and in effect greater distance between the nests
4/Reds:I have had 2 nests in adjoining flights, approx 1/2 m apart and in view of each other...the flights where stressed. A partition between the nests. blocking line of sight, just big enough to do so, removed all stress.

We have discussed this some time ago in the forums...we have not established as yet the required size of flight, distance, line of sight parameters required to enable 2 pair of yellows or reds or other species to nest unstressed in the same area. Anything closer than 5m AND out of line of sight is asking for trouble, how far beyond that we don't know....Yet.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Today I went and picked up my cinnamon hen which will now give me 2 pair in the aviary, originally the pick up point was to be my friends place that has the 8 Kakarikis in the one aviary that someone queried me about, I was going to check out the size of the aviary etc however the pick up point was changed and surprise surprise these people had Kaks - yep they had 5 red fronts (2 pr + 1 spare duno what) in an aviary that was 6ft x 6ft square made of zincalume and also there was a couple of budgies in there too - these Kakarikis have breed numerous times and today I was able to witness these to tell you there was indeed 3 week old baby kakarikis in the nest boxes so I guess it goes to show that Kakarikis can and will breed in a colonly situation.

The fella also told me of a mate of his who has 12 birds in an aviary (6 pairs) - all doing well and breeding, not sure why it is that it seems to work here and not elsewhere but I have seen it a few times now to know that it can be done.

Just thought I'd update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: