Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Are Kakarikis compatible with Rosellas?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Are Kakarikis compatible with Rosellas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icanfly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Are Kakarikis compatible with Rosellas?

Hi

Been trying to do a bit of reading up on these birds as I'm interested in getting some for my new aviary.
Currently the aviary has an adult and juvenile Pale-Headed Rosella, and I plan on putting King Quail on the bottom, and want to know if Kakarikis and Scarlet-Chested Parrots will be compatable.
The aviary is 4m x 1m x 2.2m high
As I understand it the Kaki's are fairly friendly birds, but are they ok in this combination?

Thanks for any help

Josh
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject:

Hi Josh

w3c to the forum.

Cohabitation of kakariki in a mixed aviary is usually ok in a non-breeding situation.
If you hang nestboxes, it depends on the number of pairs.

I have been breeding cockatiels and kakariki together in aviaries 2x1x1,80 and most of the times it has been ok. The only problem is that sometimes cockatiels get disturbed by kakariki, but I have almost never seem them quarrel.
In fact, some of the birds that have been 3+ yrs together in fact have somehow bonded (i.e. a few cockatiel males beg food to male kakarikis, very weird)
In fact I'm even more worried about cockatiels fighting among themselves, they are not as peaceful when colony breeding. What I have never attempted is to breed more than 1 pair of kakariki in the same aviary.

My understanding is that scarlet chested are peaceful birds, and not noisy so I guess in your aviary 1 pair of scarlets and 1 pair of kakariki should be ok.
Rosellas... I would not risk, aparently all rosella species can get very aggressive.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject:

Rossella are an agressive bird...even in the wild.
Red rumps are another, but only when going to nest

Quote:
as I'm interested in getting some for my new aviary.

Im reading betewwen the lines here ok
I assume this is a new 1st avairy, and u are new or newish to keeping birds in an avairy...???
And are looking at it to keeping several species..a sort of 'show' avairy.
Its like tropical fish...can mix certain species fine, but if some of those start to breed, trouble ...anything from intimination (a stressed envorioment) to picking up dead fish in the morning.

Assuming Im right in your intentions.
A good looking mix
turqs loverly tweet, colourful, Friendly
burkes...eith wild or mutation, loverly tweet good looking bird frienly
kakariki, good looking bird, friendly add movement during the day
Large parrots....king , crimson and/or splendard. also friendly

None of these are noisey...cockteil is another regetfully we havesome, they are noisey, boring noise with only a couple common distingishable sounds....and spanards should be the only ppl allowed to have them cause that is about as far from NZ one can get on this earth Shocked
( A friendly dig at Pab Wink )

The other concern...like a tropical fish tank ..is pollution levels....it is not so much the overcrowding that causes issues (species dependant) but keeping pollution levels down....fresh food/water everyday, cleaning floors etc far more often...and becomes a chore, taking away the enjoyment...and a 'tie' for going on holiday.

Do not even consider breeding in a 'show 'avairy unless you have several spare avairys ready on hand if/when things start getting stressed.
All u need is a pair of very passive burkes or any other species in there get a little terroitorial and will have dead birds
DO NOT DO IT.
One can not say X species will be fine.....every bird has its own individual personalty.
EG we have button quail in all our flights....burkes breed in a community well...this pair had to move the kakariki out....then several days later dead quail,,,the only time ever this has happened with quail with any species. Shocked

We do have a couple of 'show' flights....turqs burkes, crimsons, kings kakariki...also used for young birds to young to breed...kings are 3 or 4 yrs old to breed off...and yes we sometimes put in nesting boxes, but when a pair match off they and their nesting box are moved to another flight.

Hopefully that will answer your question and some that u have not thought of yet.
Cheers
Steps.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure that kaks are that 'friendly' at least not to smaller birds, one of ours (alpha) allways trys to land on any canaries within range, luckily canaries are too skittish to allow that to happen. He also attacked and wounded a fledgling zebbie, so now we dont let anything breed in with kaks. Think i also read kaks have been known to go down burrows and kill and eat adult nesting birds. We have bred kaks with adult canaries in the flight, no problems, but not the other way around.
icanfly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately I already have the rosellas. Do you think that the fact they are young will help my cause?
I don't have any immediate wants for them to breed (at least one is only 12 weeks old at the moment), and she is quite friendly. If I do not put any nesting areas in the cage, will this discourage breeding?

Quote:
Im reading betewwen the lines here ok
I assume this is a new 1st avairy, and u are new or newish to keeping birds in an avairy...???
And are looking at it to keeping several species..a sort of 'show' avairy.

Yes it my first aviary, although my parents had one as I was growing up, and I wanted one now I have my own house. It had Galahs, Indian Ringnecks, Burkes, Turks, Lovebirds (which seem to be little psychos) and quail. I think they also had rosellas without much problem, and I think they hatched some young but never left the nest. The only problems I recall were the cranky old Galah trying to catch the quail and lovebirds and having to be removed from that cage, and the lovebirds getting agro a bit.
We also have two Cockatiels inside, one of whom is a lovely bird, and a young Sun Conure who I recieved as an early birthday present, but they are pets not show birds

Will anything get along with the rosellas? I was hoping the two passive breeds (kakariki & scarlet chested) would fit in ok

Thanks again

Josh
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Unfortunately I already have the rosellas. Do you think that the fact they are young will help my cause?

No.. the opposite
Lovebirds are another not to mix other birds with, top of the list with rossella and red rump.

Sun Conure..I dont know about never had them or thoughy about doing so.
Galah , sulppur crested major mitchels ....cocktoos do tend to mix ok so long as dont have a pair...they will chass other birds but others being small and nibble the cocktoos soon loose interest in doing so.

Quote:
I'm not sure that kaks are that 'friendly' at least not to smaller birds,

kakariki we have mixed with turq burke, king, crimson....even a pair of crimson with no nesting box, finches etc...the kakariki are play full, and not destructive or intimidating to others till they go to nest...like most parrots.
Quote:
He also attacked and wounded a fledgling zebbie,
We have had that too, but it was not an attack, but rather playing with a new toy.

Quote:
Think i also read kaks have been known to go down burrows and kill and eat adult nesting birds.

Nope..kakariki do nest in holes in the ground where there are no trees avalible.....and ln doing so are very vunerable to being killed by preditors like rat/ stoats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: