Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Need ideas for my mixed aviary
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Need ideas for my mixed aviary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icanfly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Need ideas for my mixed aviary

Hi

Based on advice received in another thread, I have removed my pale-headed rosellas from my mixed aviary. The juvenile was hostile straight away so I had no hesitations.
My question now is what ro replace them with.
We currently have 2 yellow Kakarikis, 2 scarlet chested parrots and 4 quails in a cage 4x2.1x1.2m.
I am liking the look of the red winged parrot but I don't know much about it's temperament. I want a tolerant bright coloured parrot, not too big, no aggression issues and preferably not one that spends alot of time scratching around the aviary floor as the others do.
Thanks in advance
Josh
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
red winged parrot

Would that be what we call crimson wing here
Yes very suitable..we have them
its cousin the king parrot also meets your description
quails fine...may like to thinki about a bantum hen maybe.
And a couple turqs and burkes.

4x2.1x1.2m. 1.2 high? that concerns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject:

1.2m wide 2.1 or maybe bit taller high that is
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Cool
Maybe a bit late...most people have flights one looks down into...deep.
Keeps people away from nesting boxes being upset etc.
But a 'display' 'holding' flight ....where birds are intended to observe , get close to , hand feed etc....they are far better if wide and shallow.
All but 4 of our flights are side on, and shallow, 1.2 to 2 M deep.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your help Steptoe. I have done further reading and some sites suggest the red-winged/crimson-winged can be aggressive. Do you have any further information on this?
Other birds I am considering are the Kings (although I'm worried they are a little big), the red-capped parrot, and maybe the Regent, although its a little plained than I really want.
Problem is I don't know a huge amount about how they will get along with the Kaks and Scarlets we already have.
Also, if they decide to breed will this increase the problems?

Thanks again

Josh
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
red-winged/crimson-winged can be aggressive.

like most birds..when going to nest they get terroritoial....I dont like the term applied in this case "agressive"
We have had a pair no nesting box in with other parrots nps....including kakariki....And going from other breeders also nps.
Crimsons like kings make great house parrots, not noisey, tame down well.

Quote:
the red-capped parrot, and maybe the Regent

I have no personal experiance in these birds....yes there is stuff I read, but there is so much BS...people writting books, web sites making comments as if experts and perpetuate stuff that others get wrong...like crimson argressive BS

A really good mix/display...and we have done it it, and still have along those lines..
Crimson male, king male pair of turqs, pair of burkes (maybe rosa mutation) 2 yellow crown and 2 red crown pairs.....no nesting boxes.
A good display is about variation and eye catching colour with activity...and not noisey.
This gives variation in size, colours, activity at different times of the day including dusk, not noisey but a very varied list of sounds from delicate chrips of turqs and burkes, chatter of kakariki, to chatter and calls od the crimsons and king.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject:

hi!
in my experience with turquoise parrots and redrump parrots i advice you dont mix these with kaks as the kaks will get more territorial around smaller birds... have you considered princess parrots? they go lovely with my kaks!
Wink
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
n my experience with turquoise parrots and redrump parrots i advice you dont mix these with kaks as the kaks will get more territorial around smaller birds

Red rumps is a definate no go...they mix fine, get the slightest hormones going and u will have dead birds next morning.
As to kakariki hasstling small birds we , many members here, and other kakariki people.....not an issue ....when birds are put together, there is a pecking order...and that is sorted with haveing enough perches at different levels...cople minor squabbles at rosting time thats it..thats normal even in a single species flight.
The only time kakariki, or most bird species for that matter... get terroritial is when they are goin to nest.
Thu be awatre bird no matter the species, every now and then get a antisocial rogue ..blue budgies are espec prone.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject:

This is deffinatly not the case for my birds. the turquoise parrots were bullied non stop in my avery.... in the end they were seperated as the kaks didnt even let them eat.... they would peck them and sit on them even when the female kak was not nesting.

i do understand that this could just be my naughty kaks but putting them with bigger birds like princess parrots or red wings is a more safer way to go... just in case they end up like my kaks and bully them non stop as the turquoisines are so gentle.
icanfly

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I don't plan on getting Turks as we already have Scarlets and they would be too similar for me, although I have noticed that the Kaks do seem to chase them alot. No malice in it, they just seem to like to annoy them.
I'm leaning towards getting a single Red-winged parrot and a single Regent. That way the territorial nesting shouldnt be a problem right?

Josh
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
That way the territorial nesting shouldnt be a problem right?

A comunity flight...dont even think about breeding or nesting boxes

And If intend to, you MUST have spare flights where u can move birds around to when you need to do so.
If you dont have the facities DONT even attempt to community breed.

I have 3 main avaries plus a isolation/ hospital avairy divided into 3
1 avairy has 7 flights, with 2 larger flights I can divide into 2 with portable partions if need.
Another with 5 flights
Another large holding avairy slightly smaller than the avairies above, and another the same size under construction.
Not including the latter over 60 sq m.
At any one time have between 70 and 100 parrots.
My advice is not theory...it is from hands on experiance....and screw ups...that also involves sudden construction of new flights over a couple days...URGENT cause run into problems described above
Thinking about it thats the reason the extra avairies flights got built signlol

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the advice. I don't intend for them to breed, but I like the idea of having pairs. Will avoiding nesting boxes do the trick, or just have to get singles from now on? I assume a single red-wing won't get territorial if no mate or nest to protect?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject:

9 ti8mes out of 10, I have pairs, no nesting boxes and no issues , even coming up to breeding season...
Pairs rather than single birds make a far 'balasnced' 'natural' display.
If ot pairs, couple males...9 times out of 10 thatsa fine to.
But keep in mind , they are noy stuffed animals, they are alive and ech has its own personatily, traits....just like people.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject:

Yeah I'm very mindful of the fact that they are alive notjustdusplay pieces. That's why I'm trying to make sure they are as comfy as possible
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Keep in mind, many of my comments are not often directed at you, but also as a reference for those veiwing for information in future yrs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: