Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hot Weather
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hot Weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Hot Weather

Hello im new to this site and to Kakarikis,I im from Laredo,Tx. in the US, im interested in breeding Kakarikis, I was told they dont like hot weather how true is this? Ive been breeding Cockatiels and other birds for over 20yrs. and i keep my birds ouddoors year round in the summer time its always over 100 F. and sometimes it can get around 110F. and winters are not even that cold, whats the hotest temperature a Kakarikis can take? I have my birds in a screened in porch with cieling fans and I have a Misting system that turns on the hotest part of the day.

Thanks..
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I was told they dont like hot weather how true is this?

Baisally...rubbish..
Guys breed up in the 44 /46 + deg C.. in Aussie ( I think thats up around 112 F )the only issues they gewnerally have is with avairy and nesting box design..eg irom roof, and birds tend to go high or perches are high...
In the wild temps in NZ generally top out mid 30s, but there are small areas, wher kakariki used to be get well above this

And cold...dont worry if u have to break the ice in the water bath for them to have a swim.

of all parrots kakariki arev one of the hardest around.
To the left is a "quick Search" block make use of it for also sorts of stuff...Some good threads from 5 or 6 yrs back when Aussie was having big heat waves and major forest fires...and read up re diets etc.

Once u get into kakariki, their nature /personality is like no other parrot

Cheers
Steps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Hot Weather

Step ,Thanks for the Reply. I will for sure look into getting a pair. I will be sticking around here to learn more about Kakarikis.

Thanks...
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Hi!

I'm sure kakariki will cope just fine, esp. if you have ceiling fans/misting system etc... as Steps says these guys are really hardy. Indeed they seem to take better cold temps than really hot but nevertheless they cope with heat.

If you have been keeping birds for 20yrs kakariki will be a piece of cake.
The only problem might be finding birds to purchase, they are not that common in the USA, although I remember 3 yrs ago when I was in Phoenix, I saw several pairs at the Glendale bird-mart.
I'm sure you guys also have bird-marts over there in TX.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
jds

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject:

Pablo, Yeah they are not that common here in the US, we do have bird marts here in texas and thats where i saw a pair of yellows they were really nice. I found a breeder in California, so im gonna hopfully get a pair soon.

James
tailofdog
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: GREAT AVIARY BIRD

They are a joy to keep. Quiet and fun to be around. <v>
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
where i saw a pair of yellows

Do yopu mean Red crown species /yellow mutation
Or yellow Crown species?
Check out the difference between hybrid between the 2 species...not good, and mutations with in each species...
And how to tell the diffrence, and how to if not pure to get pure breed to an acceptable level of purity to be comparble with pure breed in the wild.
Check out with quick search block to the left and examples in gallery albums.

Note these 2 species, red and yellow, lived together along with the orange crown in our forests...

Also note our forrest in NZ is noting like people imagine...sub tropical difficult to penitrate in it vergin form....traveling tru, no paths fit, know the land 3 to 7 miles a day of hard yakker dawn to dusk.

PS American?..the car in my avatar...yep that really is my daily, car, has been for over 30 yrs, and its matching numbers with documentation.
Definately, im no tyre kicker ..and do all my own resto work myself.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject:

Hi James!

good luck in your search for kakariki.
I don't know if it's just me, but seems like in California there's maybe more fanbase of parrot breeders than in other states.

cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: