Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Breeding Pair
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Breeding Pair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickvan
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Breeding Pair

After the death of my male kakariki I introduced 2 male kaks into the aivery of 3 hens of which they are mum and daughter.
It was not long before the 2 males paired up with the mum and one of the daughters.
The male which paired with the daughter soon began to mate of which she has laid 5 eggs which are fertile. While she has been sat on the eggs the male has started to mate with her sister she has since taken to a nest box and had later laid two eggs.
This weekend while cleaning out the aivery I found 2 eggs on the floor broken. Later on in the day I found the hen which is sat on 5 fertile eggs trying to gain access into her sisters nest box the 2 were fighting.
Is it possible that the hen has got into her sisters nest box and attacked the eggs because the eggs are no longer there. If so is this common and for future reference should split pairing kaks up when nesting.
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject:

hi mate
sounds to me like the older hen has got territorial .... most people including myself separate the kaks once they've paired up ... a few of the more experienced breeders have managed to breed in flocks but had pretty much similar problems ... from what iv'e read they only have the dominant pair who breeds in each flock.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject:

As Bruce says..
Discussed many times over the yrs, and I have done/doing a lot of experimentation.
To breed in a community is near impossible for most parrot species.
To do so a flock must be espablished for at least 6 to 18 months before even introducing nesting boxs...and even then the chances are not even 50/50 not to have trouble and even dead birds.
The critical points is when they go to nest
When they lay
When chicks hatch...it the above goes against the odds, this will break down
When chicks emerge

Bottom line do not even attempt to do so unless you have the spare flights and facilties to sepate , move nesting boxes and pairs.....very quickly...with and hr or so.

At this piont I suggest move all the eggs under 1 hen/pair and get all the other birds out ASAP.

Quote:
from what iv'e read they only have the dominant pair who breeds in each flock.

No thats not correct in any way....
The dominate males and females pair up....generally all the females will pair up if enough males...
In an avairy /captive situation and depending on the size of the avairy...and 'spare ' males are likely to get attacked and possible killed over couple weeks if left......assuming the flocks has had an establish period

I currently have 2 flocks... one of yellow crown, another of red crown...all never breed or paired before....been together since not long after weaning.
There are 5 males 5 females in each flock with (at this tage ) 5 nesting boxes just introduced (early winter) for mid winter or early spring hatching
If things start t go wrong, I have ready made portable dividers with doors in that can be installed in 5 mins....which gives me from 2 to 8 flights (4 for red 4 for the yellows) a large comunity avairy and 2 other flight that I can use if not breeding.

This is independant of the current 5 pairs of parrots in breeding flights.

Before comunty breeding or even breeding 1 pair...ppl must think all the way thru....what if have to sparate....what where do I wean/ hold all the new birds?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies. Since I last spoke on here the hen who was sat on the eggs which were about to hatch has abandoned them her sistor who is sat on another batch is still sat on them. I am thinking about splitting the pair but I am in a diliema because they both have the same partner do I split the hen who is sat on the eggs with the male or do I pair it up with the hen who has just abandoned her clutch. The male seems to be feeding both the hens but mainly the one who is no longer sat on eggs. duno
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject:

I would have put all the eggs under the one sitting and split the other out...
Its hard to say really....Its not a situation I would have got into...rather one I adfoid.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject:

hi there
take the hen who's not sitting and the cock and set them off nesting they should get straight bk on it .... the other hen will sit and rear the other eggs herself no problems

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your advise being relativley new to keeping birds I never imagined that I could get them to breed. I was told that it was quite hard to achieve in an aivery. But since I introduced a hen a cock into an aivery
they produced two chicks of which both were hens The Cock then died of which I introduced 2 male kaks ( was sold as male plus hen ) but it was not long before the males started to fight in who was the most dominant One of the males has mated with the 2 sisters and the other has paired up with the mother. Looks like I have some serious deviding to do.
One more question to ask if I remove the nesting boxes in the future can the birds live in armony together is it just while they are breeding the aggressive behavior
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
take the hen who's not sitting and the cock and set them off nesting they should get straight bk on it .... the other hen will sit and rear the other eggs herself no problems

Yep definately the way to go...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: