Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Boo with the bad eyes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Boo with the bad eyes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stickyfeet
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Boo with the bad eyes

Hi everyone,

Haven't been on here in a long while - we're in Northern Canada with a little red crested, Boo. Awesome little boy - very active curious and the best flyer ever. Although I'm sure you all say the same about your kaks.

We've had him since Oct 2008, and were told he was 6 months when we got him, so he's around 3 now. In August 2009, he had his first bout with an eye infection. Went to the vet here (no bird vets available up here) and he gave us an ointment which we later found out had steroids in it, so we stopped using it. The couple of times we did, his eyes went back to normal.

Since late fall, his eyes, especially the right, have been getting worse, so we took him on his big adventure in February down to Calgary to see an excellent avian vet. She did all kinds of stuff on him, which resulted in tests coming back negative for TB & Psittacosis, so we were pretty happy. Although the vet cautioned that he still might have TB, even though it didn't show up in the acid test. Everything is good with him - the only thing that was high was his white blood cell count, which could have been from the plane and/or the infection.

Since then, we've had him on doxycyclin, tetracycline eye ointment, and voltaren in the last month. In desperation, I even got some colloidal silver and was putting drops in his eyes. His eyes seem to get a bit better then get worse again. He went through a patch where he rubbed off the feathers around both eyes and down around his neck, but those have all grown back. The lower lids are pooched out from the tissue buildup on the bottom and the back sides of his eyes.

Right now, he's at the vet's in Calgary, been there for a week and will be there until Monday. She did a little surgery on him on Monday to try to remove as much of the tissue as she could, and she's sending the samples down to an avian pathologist in California, so we'll have a definitive diagnosis. He came through the surgery, although she said that it took him about 20 mins to come out of the anaesthetic (my heart clenched) but he's good now and bopping around.

I know that kaks tend to have eye issues and would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this kind of thing.

Cheers,
Jacki
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Stickyfeet,

That's quite a sad story!
Good of you to take the long trip to see an avian vet.
Let's hope the test results show something simple like an allergy for the stuff you use to clean his cage with.

I've surfed along all the good bird sites I know about birds diseases, infections etc, but there are so many options and probable causes described there....

I think, for now, all you can do is wait till you here from the experts.
If they can't help you i'll continue my search for you. And my guess is so will the others on this forum.
But in that case we need more info.

What is his overall condition like? his breathing? feather condition? weight? position of his tail while relaxed?
Where and how do you keep him? Diet, other pets, family members with health problems?
Does he get lots of fresh air? do you ventilate?
Does he yawn a lot? What's the colour of his beak, toes, nails? Are they blueish?

questions questions questions, no answers from me , sorry.
But I'll do my very best if the avian vet can't help you.

But for now, I think he/she is your best hope right now.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for good results.!
stickyfeet
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Boo's bad eyes

Gee,

Thanks for your quick response! I'm hoping it's an allergy too, but at this point, it's such a chronic thing that it may have done some damage to his eyes. Okay, to answer your questions:

Overall condition is great; he was going through a little moult when we took him to the vet, just around his head and cheeks. Lots of pokey little feather shafts. Breathing is fine, feathers look good, tail does not bob when he's at rest, I've watched for that, I think the vet said he was 70 grams.

We keep him in the living room, then take his cage at night and put it in a separate room. He's our only pet, and neither one of us has any health issues that the bird would pick up. His diet is brilliant - every day, he gets cooked cereal with grains like flax & quinoa mixed with raspberries and a drop of vitamin A on it; fresh blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apple; bok choy, spinach, broccoli, carrots, snap peas. Plus, he has pellets in his cage and pellets we spread on a blanket on the floor of his 'big cage' (our office, but Boo has pretty much taken it over). He eats voraciously, and his droppings are absolutely fine.

We live in a pressurized building, so the air is always refreshing & replacing itself. We were thinking about a hepa filter, but I need to do more research. We can only ventilate now that it's summer, so we do have windows open.

Yawns - I think he yawns when he's tired? I haven't noticed excessive yawning, but I'll watch for it when he returns. Beak is the pearlized white with the black tip, toes are normal, I think, not blue, more gray, and his nails - on his right foot he has 3 black nails and one white, the white is fine; on his left foot he has 3 white nails and one black. Again, the white is fine and I know this for sure because that's the nail they had to cut down a bit more so they could take some blood from there in February.

He sleeps in classic pose - one foot, head tucked under. He flies around like crazy, as I mentioned, has a bath (he waits for us to put ice cubes in it before he goes in) nearly every day, very curious and engaged. And then we see him scratching his eye - but that's the only indicator that it's bugging him. He has a couple of little sleeps during the day and puts himself to bed at night - around 8ish, he flies back to his cage where we go through a bit of a ritual of a little feed before bed, some scratches, then we remove him. He's never liked his cage covered.

I hope that answers your questions - thanks again for looking for Boo.

Cheers,
Jacki
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject:

Why and for how long have you been giving him the extra vitamine A?
Does your vet know you do? Has the vet checked his vitamine A levels recently?

vitamine A ( retinol) is the end product of Caroteen.
Caroteen is found in vegetables.

A living being uses the caroteen he needs and the rest leaves the body without harm.
Manufactured/ synthetic vitamine A however piles up in the body.
too much of it turns into poison for the body and causes... gues what... eyeinfections (amongst other things like bad skin/feathers)

pellets contstantly contain the same mix of minerals and vitamines. including vitamine A. Veggies contain caroteen, and he is getting the synthetic end product on a daily basis as well. I am NO expert and no vet.. but sounds to me like he is getting way too much vit A..

If the vet does not find anything, talk to her about the drops and the pellets.

my advice would be to only give him the caroteen rich veggies like carrots. stop giving him pellets and quit the vit A drops.
Being synthetic ,in the end they do more harm than good anyway.
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject:

quote: my advice would be to only give him the caroteen rich veggies like carrots

Reading this back it sounds wrong. What i meant to say is: give him lots and lots of diff fruit and veggies over the week.. but make sure carrots are a part of his daily diet.

sorry.. dutch and trying here Laughing
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I know that kaks tend to have eye issues and would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this kind of thing.

That is incorrect

Diet is esentual to the good overall healkth of a bird....in the wild they get what they need when they need it....and it doesnt include processed food.
Petets, fine a couple every few days , hopefully will fill in and defiencies of a natural diet in capitivity....we throw a Optima cat biskets once a week or so to our birds.
The classic question I ask, would u feed your children artifial food and vit/mineral tablets and expect them yo grow into healthy adualts?

you do not mention protiens..meat, bones, cartiladge in the diet...

Nore for u mention vinegar or apple cider vinegar....these come from a country that has acid soils, and a forest floor multch very acidic

Also a country that has a very high humdity...not air conditioned

Gee is right on the mark with Vit A....and other comments

The veggie mix is far too limited for a good balanced diet
Lack of protien, iron with vit C at the same time, possibly low on Ca and phosphorus

I believe your bird has a basic long term lack in a full and healthy diet, and required pH buffers in the system, over the long term resulting in infections.

Read the thread "what do u feed...."
Add a few drops of apple cider vingaer to the water, every few days add to the veggie mix......mist spray the bird and cage every few weeks with 50/50 vinegar and water.

And get into chopping up the broccolli /cali stems, pumkin , potato peelings, stems of bettroot, silver beet, spinage....even chopped beeetroot, capsicum and all the stuff from your dinner preparation.....

Chop up the cooked chicken bones/carcass, and the KFC fast food with a cleaver.....and give apple /fruit at the same time.

Would u crack a sunflower seed and eat it? yes?
Would you taste the apple cider vinegar, the chopped veggies, the fruit ? yes
Would u sit down to a meal of pellets?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject:

*Phew* Okay, feeling a little beaten up by the two of you! 'Wink'

To explain further; in February, Dr Matieri, when she was trying to diagnose Boo's condition, gave him a Vit A shot, and gave us this Vit A stuff - it's base is nut butter or something like that - to heat up and put one drop on his food. She thought, probably because of his eye issues, that he might have a deficiency. We told her that carrots are one of his favourite foods, but she wanted us to go ahead anyway.

We give him a lot of sunflower seeds - they're his favourite. We like to pretend they're treats, but he gets quite a few on a daily basis, so they are part of his regular diet. As far as other fruits and vegetables, he goes on and off a few things. I've tried just about everything - kale, chard, cooked green beans, mango, papaya, grapes, melon, pears, pineapple, the list goes on. Same thing with meal worms, chicken, pork, etc. When he's not sure of something, he edges toward it, leans in very tentatively, and sticks his tongue out to taste it. Then very decisively backs away. So I appreciate the advice on the proteins, because I also agree that he doesn't get enough.

You know, when you talk to vets here, they say that 60% of a bird's diet should be pellets, even when we're feeding him so much fresh food. There seems to be some research finally emerging about that being absolutely wrong. I think they're just catering to the people that want to do the absolute minimum when they feed their birds.

And we do clean his cage with apple cider vinegar. And spray all the spots he likes to go - I will put some in his water, we haven't done that before.

It's starting to get better now, but up here it's semi arid, so we have 4 humidifiers going throughout the winter, spring & fall.

Steptoe, can you explain a bit more about the chopping up of stems and stuff? Do you try to soften them up? Aren't the chicken bones a little too hard for him to eat?

I will read the thread 'what do you feed...' - thanks.

And Gee, you're coming across just fine - dutch and all ! thumb

Thanks again guys,
Jacki
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
*Phew* Okay, feeling a little beaten up by the two of you!

Dont think that...We ..well me...Ijm just blunt, lack a lot of diplomacy...If Im beating up on someone you would definately know about it...
If in a shop or something my wife simply says " will see u soon " LOL and she uses me when she hits a brickwall ...
Quote:
it's base is nut butter or something like that - to heat up and put one drop on his food.

Most proberly RAW palm oil..orange un refined stuff...its not PC to mention palm oil in this day and age.

Quote:
We give him a lot of sunflower seeds - they're his favourite. We like to pretend they're treats, but he gets quite a few on a daily basis, so they are part of his regular diet.

Our seed mnix has a lot of sunflowe in it, but the birds get 10 to 14 days supply, so when they have overdoesed on the sunflower, there is no more...forces a more balanced diet.

Quote:
As far as other fruits and vegetables,

Keep fruit, veggies, bones/meat and seed separate identies.

Quote:
mango, papaya, grapes, melon, pears, pineapple,

These are all high sugar...something in the wild they dont have....high sugars effect metoblism, digestion of carbohygrates and cause over weight.
Settle for apples.....ever noticed that birds get into your fruit trees just before the fruit is ready to eat for us????...less sugar.

Protein, just throw a chop bone or a chicken bone, off the left overs of you plate, in the cage ..leave him to it for a day.

Quote:
You know, when you talk to vets here, they say that 60% of a bird's diet should be pellets, even when we're feeding him so much fresh food.

OK who sponsers the Vet and medical schools...who provides the research? Chemical companies and anumal pellet companies...So whos propaganda do the vets train on? and lets face it Doctors and vets only have a BSc ..not post grad or masters very often...let alone a PhD.
Also MOST of their pateints, regardless of what they say...eat junk food, and most of aliments are caused by diet....so when someone turns up, regardlesswhat they are told the give a Vit K suplliment for example.
Im not knocking Vets, I just sumplatise very much with the prediciment they are commonally in.
Pellets are a supplimemt...like vitimine tables and mineral tabets, ONLY required IF a normal diet is lacking in something....And the proportion of the suplloment is directly proportional to a constant, fresh balanced diet .

Quote:
And we do clean his cage with apple cider vinegar. And spray all the spots he likes to go - I will put some in his water, we haven't done that before.

50/50 vinegar to clean/ spray....applecider in veggies and water.

Quote:
Steptoe, can you explain a bit more about the chopping up of stems and stuff? Do you try to soften them up? Aren't the chicken bones a little too hard for him to eat?

The raw stems...I have an old school carbon steel carving knife....razor sharp....all veggies except the sweet corn and peas gets chopped up into about 1/2 peas size...lasts about 3 to 4 days in the fridge...the last day the apple cider vinegar gets sprinled into it.
Sofen up?? or cooked ..no
Ckicken /chop bones....I have a good old fashioned cleaver, sharp as....makes 'mince meat' out of bones....and a big heavy chopping board.

Basically chopping up veggies creates less wastage (rem we have 100 parots) less clean up....chopping up bones they get to thr marrow, and the cartilage on the ends is a naturual source of calcuim...
When bones are chopped up, they are to small to be dropped in the water toughs, which means less cleaning.

And the cartilage/ calcuim...for animals to absorb Ca, they also need phosphorus, which is conveniently in the stems of Broccolli and cali.
To absorb protein/iron they also need Vit C ..fruit, and manyt veggies...

So here u see why, "Balanced" is a balanced at THAT meal time, Something that has been lost in interpretation from dietiations.

Glass of red wine with a good biy of eye steak...iron protein And Vit C...

Bacterial and viruses defence not just depends on minerals like magnesium, and good health, but also blood Ph...hence vinegar and apple cider vinegar as a buffer in the system.....And animals get this in the wild from necteur that has fermented to Alcohol, then to acetic acid.

Now all this is not just your birds health..it is your health to...

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Steps: thanks for your argumentation about/ against pellets.
I find myself doing the same thing over and over again on Dutch forums lately.
The popularity of pellets may be waning in america, in Europe it has only just begun Sad!

Stickyfeet,
I would not dream of lecturing you :)
Specially since you allready went to so much trouble and money to try help your bird. I admire you for that. A lot of pet owners would not spent the extra time and money.

About the vinegar:
The pH (acidity) of drinking water in Netherlands is between 7 and 8. Depending on which region you live. A pH value below 7 is acidic and above 7 is alkaline.
However, the difference is small.
By using vinegar/ applecider in drinking water and bath water for our birds the growth of bacteria and/or micro-organisms in the water is inhibited. These grow poorly in an acid environment.
This way the birds are less likely to suffer from intestinal and krop infections.
Kaks are messy birds. Bacteria can end up in the water by feces of birds or birdfood . This allows bacteria to grow. Specially in hot weather. It goes without saying that the drinking water and bathing water needs to be refreshed every day.

Because apple vinegar is a natural product, acidity can differ per brand.
The best thing you can do is buy it in a reform shop. It must be clear. When it looks cloudy, it contains the living yeasts and is biologically active, which is bad for the birds.
However, over time in bright apple vinegar precipitation forms, but that's pectin and no decay.
Save the open bottle in the fridge for a max of 5 weeks., Dosage in the netherlands is 10 ml. per 1 liter of water.
With this dosage we can achieve a pH value of 4.1. The most preferable ph value for birds. At this pH growth of, for example, E coli (wet nests) and salmonella wont occure.
The original pH of tap water has almost no influence on them because it is pure water and no buffering capacity.
Because the acidity of Apple vinegar can differ per brand you could buy an aquarium case colorstrip to messure the PH of the water. So you can verify that the desired PH value of 4.1 is achieved.
You can also ask an aquarium specialist shop to do the math for you.

Allow the bird to slowly get used to the acidified water. Use a little apple vinegar per week till the value of 4.1 is reached.
When you do this all of a sudden the bird might stop drinking all together.

By acidifying of drinking water the acidity of the bird's body will not or hardly change. The body regulates the acidity. In nature birds would eat certain leaves or berries to achieve the same thing. Birds don't have "gut flora" as people have.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
By acidifying of drinking water the acidity of the bird's body will not or hardly change. The body regulates the acidity

When bactria/virus/worms are in the body, they make very slight changes to the body/blood Ph.....hence why we few those slight body ache, bit off.
Drop a couple cap fulls of apple cider vinegar, this buffers the blood back, and prevent wholes mul;tiplication of the bactria/virus....not a cure, just limits the damage.
So instead of flu one gets a good cold...instead of 3 days in bed, 24 hrs.

We have not had to worm any birds, or use any chemicals for 7 or 8 yrs now....we do worm with new birds coming in.
We have avairies with dirt damp floors, mortar dry floors, timber floors, open to wild birds on top, and closed....the good and the not so good.
Damp floors=worms...yet we dont have them.
No infections mites or anything like that
Keep in mind stock varies from 60 to just over 100 birds at any one time, and we are talking in total maybe 1000 odd birds in that time.
We have also had birds DNA checked for deases at Massey University a couple yrs back.

Quote:
Steps: thanks for your argumentation about/ against pellets.

Biggest arguement.....the size of our birds...no we do not selectively breed for size....and the health, and egg to health 1+ yr old adaults
Its not only the pellets, but also the serility of them....we never wash veggies or food, avairies get cleaned every 2 to 3 weeks.
Sterile conditions dont allow chicks to build natural resistance ....and pellets dont allow natural bacteria to ferment in parant crops for the chicks.

We dont put vinegar into the water at all....I only suggest that as an added 'insurance' With all our flights, cages, isolation and hospital cages on daily automatic watering it would be difficult and unnessasy....
In the real world, it is very difficult to change water EVERY day.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject:

Hey Stickyfeet,

How are you and Boo doing?
Did the test results show anything helpful?
stickyfeet
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Got the pathology back

Hi guys,

Sorry, been out of touch this last week. You've given me a lot to think about with all the info. Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful responses.

So, from the pathologists in California, Drs Drury Reavill and Robert E. Schmidt of the Zoo/Exotic Pathology Service, here's an excerpt:

Microscopic: Conjunctival mass
The examined biopsy sections, which are supporting stratified squamous mucosal epithelium, are supporting sheets of multinucleate cells and macrophages as well as nodular proliferations of lymphocytes. The material identified within some of these cells is somewhat homogeneous amphophilic material that almost has a radiating pattern. There is also, within the interstitium, a deposition of homogeneous amphophilic-type material, which is thickening the basement membranes of blood vessels.

Diagnosis
Eyelid: Focally extensive granulomatous conjunctivitis and possible amyloid

They go on to comment about mycobacterium, and there's clinical info. Then there's an addendum that says:

Replicate tissue sample were stained for acid fast bacteria. Small numbers of acid fast positive, rod-shaped bacteria are recognized. This supports a mycobacterial infection.

So, he has TB, presenting only in his eyes. That means meds for 1 year - poor Boo. Caught & medicine forced on him for months now, only to look forward to another year. Well, we're in it for the long haul. So it's baytril and a compound of two other meds that one of the pharmacies are doing up for us.

Hey, can you post videos on here? I got a very funny one of him today.

Cheers gentlemen,
Jacki
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject:

We have a King as a house bird.
http://www.kakariki.net/modules.php?set_albumName=Bob-Cohabit&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Hes about 5 yrs old now, open cage free run of the house 24/7.
We kept him because from hatching he was blind in one eye....these sort of 'defective' biurds , espec if large make great house parrots.

Sat, 3 days ago he was fine, didnt notice anything Sun morning before heading out....home in the afternoon he is totally blind in the one good eye.

Slightly swollen, and grey deep inside, no sign of surface scatches.
Avairan vet...has some sort of infection, viral or bactria, gluchoma, and what seems to be a catract in the eye....which is the cause could be either.
We could have a bioobsy done to find out exactly what virus/ bactria whatever...regardless it will only be a slim chance he will keep any reasonable sight.
So onto broad spectrum anti biotics, and painkillers for the gluychoma.
Hopefully the antibiotic (still slim chance) is the correct one.
If not by, the time any biopsey results come back, it will be too late to prescribe the correct antibiotic.
So we choose not to have the biopsy, If he gets reasonable sight fine...
If not we will put him down....
If we kept him, he is used to the house....we would have to keep in his cage.

He climbs to the top of the cage, walks around walks off the edge, flies, doesnt know where he is, totally disorientated....hes not panicky or anything, just doesnt know which direction to get back to his cage/home.

So for the next few days really hoping some improvement, which is very unlikely........

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Bob

Steptoe,

That's terrible news. I had a look at the link of you and Bob - great shot of the two of you sharing the sandwich.

Spontaneous blindness? I hope it can be helped. You mention Bob pretty frequently in your posts.

I think Boo is finally reconciled to the fact that one of us catches him twice daily and administers the eye ointment - birds are truly amazing. I believe he thinks we are taking care of him.

Keith sends his best wishes as well - please keep us posted.

Best,
Jacki
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject:

Wow, stickyfeet,

Thats quite the story... pffffff
poor bird.. poor you.
I really think it's AWSOME you go to all this trouble for him.
You deserve a big applaus
Applause Applause Applause

And thank you for posting all the info, I find it VERY interesting!

Quote:
" They go on to comment about mycobacterium, and there's clinical info"

Mycobacterium Avium is common in birds but rare in humans.

But M. Genavensa/ M. Tuberculosis and M. Bovis are rare in birds but relatively common in humans.
Cross-contamination between bird and human is possible.
However small the chances, they are there. So please be careful!

Would really like to see that funny video.. but have no clue how to post, sorry.
Maybe just a link?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: